IGNORED

shame this riders on muddy trails?

2 hours ago, surfingfaith said:

What are your all's thoughts on riding City Park in these conditions?  Interested to hear everyone's opinion as it is the only place to really ride when wet in Austin and I encounter moto guys out there every time I ride it.

It can get quite muddy, but I've never seen that keep the motos off the trail. 

7 hours ago, surfingfaith said:

What are your all's thoughts on riding City Park in these conditions?  Interested to hear everyone's opinion as it is the only place to really ride when wet in Austin and I encounter moto guys out there every time I ride it.

Years ago City Park was my go-to spot in wet weather. It was good 24 hours after a rain. I even rode it in the rain once (caught halfway through a ride). But a lot has changed since then. The motos tear it up (it is their trail) and it now ends up with more water on the trail and wet spots than before. These days CP drains about as well as WC. I would not ride it unless it has 3+ days of sunshine based on the conditions that we have had over the past month. 

If you have to ride when it is wet - City Park is the place to do it. You won't hurt the trail any more than it is already being hurt. My biggest reason I don't ride it wet is I slip and fall too much on the wet rocks.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, cxagent said:

IMy biggest reason I don't ride it wet is I slip and fall too much on the wet rocks.

Exactly.

This is what i dont understand about people who insist on riding in the wet. No matter how many PB vids you watch, this isnt the PNW or UK and the traction and mud here is awful to deal with.  The risk of injury is also much higher than in the dry. For what? To ride the same crappy trail you've ridden 100x before? Go to the gym, buy a stationary trainer, do anything to stay fit other than damaging the trails or getting hurt for something dumb.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

I rode SATN once when things we're dry but still damp enough for me to wash out at low speed and bruise myself up badly. I wait until the dirt is OK + another day most of the time.

I went on a little hike on BCGB on Sunday and saw two mountain bikers. One had a dork disc and reflectors on his bike and probably didn't know any better. The other was clearly a seasoned rider who knew what he was in for. Aside from a few low, sloppy spots, the dirt was just dry enough to ride without doing damage, so I didn't get grumpy. The rocks and roots, however, we're slick enough under my Stealth-soled trail runners that I would not have enjoyed riding it.

Edited by mack_turtle

Everything will be muddy for a while.  We could really use your help getting the trails at WC to drain better:  

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!  It will be too muddy to ride!  Help the ARR Trail Crew improve drainage on the trails so they dry out quicker once it stops raining.  We will do trail upkeep appropriate to conditions rain or shine: