IGNORED

Cheap Sunglasses

AustinBike

OK, managed to bust both pairs of mine in the past week and I need to get some new ones. If I buy expensive glasses they last about as long as the cheap ones, so I normally don't waste my money.

Anyone have a recommendation on cheap three lens sunglasses?

I'd spring for a higher quality set of glasses if they really did a good job on being anti-fog but so far my expensive ones are just as bad in the winter.

I was just hoping for a good sunglasses thread... I managed to lose my Oakley Evzero Prizm Trails that I scored on Amazon for ~$80 a few years back, but they were awesome.

My issue with most cheap cycling sunglasses is they get scratched up easily. I've bought probably 5-6 sets of interchangeable lens sunglasses on Amazon and don't love any of them. I think the Tifosi ones were the highest quality, but they also run a little higher price than most the cheap ones.

Are any lenses truly anti-fog or is that a function of the shape of them in how they capture and retain your exhaled breath?

25 minutes ago, Barry said:

Can I show you something in an Airgas saftey sunglasses option? 

I usually get 2 or 3 pair when I drop by:

https://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Head%2C-Eye-%26-Face-Protection/Safety-Glasses/p/K4525688

image.png.9a15257fb302db63802b132c7240a420.png

Yeah, they scratch easy. And they're super comfortable, weigh next to nothing, and are totally disposable. 

$5.80 a pair when you buy 12. Free delivery tomorrow for Prime members.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Safety-Frameless-Protection-Resistant/dp/B008D8128A/

1 hour ago, cody said:

I was just hoping for a good sunglasses thread... I managed to lose my Oakley Evzero Prizm Trails that I scored on Amazon for ~$80 a few years back, but they were awesome.

My issue with most cheap cycling sunglasses is they get scratched up easily. I've bought probably 5-6 sets of interchangeable lens sunglasses on Amazon and don't love any of them. I think the Tifosi ones were the highest quality, but they also run a little higher price than most the cheap ones.

Are any lenses truly anti-fog or is that a function of the shape of them in how they capture and retain your exhaled breath?

My current broken ones are Tifosi. When I look at the current prices I can't believe el cheapo bought these...

I have some Tifosi glasses and really like them. They have 4 sets of lens, although I mostly use the amber ones for riding. I would put them in a midrange price category, but they are pretty damn cheap compared to Oakleys or other high end glasses. For me, the most important feature of a pair of riding glasses is staying in place on my nose when bouncing through the rough (which cheap safety glasses definitely do not). My Tifosi's have pliable earpieces, so I can really lock in the fit. Fog control I guess would be second, but I've had really nice Smith glass that claimed to be anti-fog that really sucked and cheap ones that were ok.

I'd also consider some of these shield-type Blenders for riding. I have casual pair of Blenders and have been impressed for the price. I won't ride in mine because they slide down my nose, but the shield-type have rubberized nose pieces. My friend has some of these and they feel pretty nice. 

https://www.blenderseyewear.com/collections/mens-new-arrivals/products/bold-victory

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Can I show you something in an Airgas saftey sunglasses option? 

I usually get 2 or 3 pair when I drop by:

https://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Head%2C-Eye-%26-Face-Protection/Safety-Glasses/p/K4525688

image.png.9a15257fb302db63802b132c7240a420.png

Yeah, they scratch easy. And they're super comfortable, weigh next to nothing, and are totally disposable. 

I think these will fit the bill. Amazon has some clear Nemesis at ~$4 and some tinted ones at ~$8. Also the HD and lowes options look like they are in my wheelhouse.

I also have a pair of Tifosi glasses.  Not what I'd call cheap, but not too expensive either, I think they were about $50-ish and came with 3 lenses and a hard case.  I like them a lot.  With the flexible rubber nose and ear pieces they stay put when I'm sweating and changing the lenses is very easy.

I bought some 3 lens Performance glasses maybe 15 years ago- still have them in the garage, I use them for the Yellow and Clear Lenses.

Picked up some Oakley half jackets with transition lenses maybe a year after that,  One of the lens insert tabs broke so got new non transition lenses.  Ride these 95% of the time.

For me its about the high vis yellow polarization and Im willing to pay for that in my riding and driving glasses.  For use around the yard Ive got HD safety glasses.

How often are you guys losing or breaking glasses on the trail? Ok, I can see taking them off when you stop for a snack and riding off without them, but even then, I think I'd notice in enough time to ride back to the last place I stopped. As far as breaking, they are on your face. Last time something on my face broke in a crash, it was my teeth, and they were NOT cheap to replace. I am a certified cheap-ass (which is why I don't wear $250 Oakleys), but $50 to see the trail better? That's something I'm willing to pay for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notyal said:

How often are you guys losing or breaking glasses on the trail? Ok, I can see taking them off when you stop for a snack and riding off without them, but even then, I think I'd notice in enough time to ride back to the last place I stopped. As far as breaking, they are on your face. Last time something on my face broke in a crash, it was my teeth, and they were NOT cheap to replace. I am a certified cheap-ass (which is why I don't wear $250 Oakleys), but $50 to see the trail better? That's something I'm willing to pay for.

My likelihood of breaking or losing them is directly proportional to the purchase price.

7 hours ago, notyal said:

I have never broken any on the trail. Most have been broken in my trunk or in my garage.

I have never broken any on the trail. Most have been broken in my trunk or in my garage.

I get that. I don’t wear my riding glasses for anything but riding. They have a nice hard case that I keep with the rest of my gear. I take them out of the case, go ride, and put them right back in the case. My everyday glasses on the other hand (which I typically spend more money on) get thrown around and scratched to hell.