IGNORED

Another argument

Yosmithy

SMH...so now the thing to argue about is whether they should blow the leaves off the trails....SMH

Pro - Safer for the riders, it lessens the demand on the local medical community. It's better for the local economy because out of town riders like it more

Con - It causes erosion of the soil. It exposes more rocks.

Sooo, are you for or against getting blown?

WTF!!!!????

Sorry, I just saw this argument on the Slaughter Pen (BentonVille AR.) FB page and still shaking my head.

This is some of my favorite SMH comments (from the same poster)

"Leaf blown trails are safer for our locals and our visitors, in turn lighter load on our medical system, and makes for a better trail experience. Rider safety and health > erosion and trail health. Full-stop. "

"

I think it takes experienced riders like you to appreciate and embrace the sketch. For many others, it's just dangerous. If you're a visitor from 100-800 miles way, you likely don't have the luxury of waiting to ride a month or two later when most of the leaves get broken down to the point where traction is more predictable.
Also, if you're on small knob tires or a beginner bike these conditions are likely to be very scary. We have record numbers of new riders with bikes that might not quite be dirt worthy, let alone leafy rock dirt worthy."

SMH...

Wife and I hit the trails in northern Georgia and Chattanooga, TN thanksgiving of 17 and they covered in leaves. Like can't see the trail, stuck in the fork arch and BB kinda leaves. Also did these runs on nobby nics F&R in the damp, and the high speed sketch made for smiles for miles. As a bonus, neither of us crashed more than usual😁

IMHO, any time i can be on the bike when its below 80* is a good day. Everything else: no factor.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

I'm from the PNW....we just called it fall. Because that's what the leaves do, and what the rider does while riding on them. Just seemed like it was expected part of the game.

Me too but live oak leaves are dry, waxy, slippery death traps. PNW leaves are never dry and make a nice mat over the soft loam and get pulverized by the 10th rider. 

• Like 1

I have never gone down faster than on a corner sliding out on live oak leaves. It was like I was pulled down with wires. I am super cautious with them now.

But the only time I would remove leaves would be when the trail was so obscured that a rider couldn't find their way. 

And if anybody ever does clear a trail, use a weed eater not a blower. Weed eater will clear wet leaves and trim trail encroaching vegetation too. Much more efficient than a blower. Probably would dislodge less dirt too.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheX said:

Live Oak leaves never decompose. 

No joke. I've got a compost bin and when I overload it with too much grass/kitchen scraps I've got a big open tub of oak leaves to balance it out. After one of our drenchers where we got several inches over a few days I was digging through it and 1.5 inches down was bone dry. And untouched. I finally had to run the whole thing through my blower/shreader to get them to start breaking down and get some moisture into it. 

Wife and I hit the trails in northern Georgia and Chattanooga, TN thanksgiving of 17 and they covered in leaves. Like can't see the trail, stuck in the fork arch and BB kinda leaves. Also did these runs on nobby nics F&R in the damp, and the high speed sketch made for smiles for miles. As a bonus, neither of us crashed more than usual[emoji16]

IMHO, any time i can be on the bike when its below 80* is a good day. Everything else: no factor.

I was at Coldwater Mtn east of Birmingham over Thanksgiving couple years ago. Their big downhill trail, bombdog, had 2’ piles of big sycamore oak and maple leaves on the inside of the berms. Nailed a couple of basketball sized rocks and some of the exposed roots are about a foot high. Had to take it much slower than other times I’ve ridden it.

Used to go on bike/paddle trips to Asheville/Smoky Mtns every fall in mid to late 90’s. Leaf covered hazards in those old growth heavy canopy forests is a whole different thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was at Hobbs State Park many Thanksgivings ago.  They have the nice flowy trails cut into the ridge so speed was great but they were covered with leaves so it was hard to see the trail.  Upside is when I accidentally clipped a tree with my bar, they were nice and soft to land in.

• Haha 1