IGNORED

Just finished installing Big Sur.

TheX

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Not a clean install then?  I haven’t even gone Catalina on my work laptop.  Last upgrade was not clean and I e had a lot of problems.  Next time I’ll do clean.

Line 6 and Reaper both warned users that upgrading would break the apps. I run them on Win 10 also, so I uninstalled them and ran the in-place upgrade. I'll beat up on it today to see what else isn't going to work.

• Like 1

I was going to install Big Sur on an external drive and play with it, but yesterday was a bit of a disaster in terms of people having problems downloading and/or installing it, plus many cases where it just borked someone's machine and they have to reinstall Catalina from scratch.  I'll hold off until at least an 11.1 release.  It even slowed down launching of apps for people not using Big Sur, as their notary service (that apparently attempts to validate apps every time you launch them) went down.  I was having problems yesterday just launching apps, where they'd bounce in the dock for 30+ seconds, at which point they'd either fail to launch or eventually launch.  A bit of a clusterfuck.

Just now, TheX said:

It took about 3 hours just to get the download to start. My Macbook is for testing mostly. If I blow it up, I just reinstall and try again. 

Yeah, that's why I want to install it to an external drive (fast Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD).  However, I discovered that Catalina will not allow me to boot from an external drive for security reasons, so you have to first boot into the Recovery partition(holding Cmd-R while booting) and then change that setting.  But for some reason I cannot even boot into the recovery partition, it simply doesn't work.  And this is a machine (newer Mac mini) I bought earlier this year, so it was partitioned and setup with Catalina from the factory. Really unimpressed with all the mistakes Apple has been making in hardware and software the last five years.  I don't have time right now to really mess with it too much further until things slow down for me. 

Curious what you think about Big Sur once you've had a chance to play around with it a bit.  I looked at this thread on MacRumors to verify that all the apps I use on a regular basis work fine (or mostly fine) in Big Sur, so I should be good to go once I can get it installed.  Those new Apple Silicon processors look quite slick and are damn fast.  Waiting to see what they do for the higher-end machines (to-end Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, 16" MacBook Pro). 

• Like 1