IGNORED

Aluminum Giant Trance 29er

eporter68

University Cyclery and Bucks were the Giant dealers last I checked. Giant builds some nice frames and the Maestro suspension is proven for years. I had a Reign back in the day, thinking back, it was one of my favorite bikes. Giant will offer a better value compared to a boutique brand.

Unless you are just breaking frames left and right, like some here are prone to do, you may not notice spending twice as much on a bike results in it providing twice as much fun as can be had on a mass-market bike. If budget is tight, you're on the right track with Giant. If budget isn't an issue, then there are plenty to choose from.

The Trance is a mid-travel frame and the huckers will be recommending long-travel frames. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples and that you get the bike that best fits your style of riding.

Edited by Ridenfool

The majority of my riding is done on the GB going out and back plus some hb trail to get my mileage up to 20miles. Fall/Winter time I get off the main trail a bit more. My current ride is an al scott genius 27.5 that is 5yrs old with about 10k miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 10/14/2018 at 6:15 PM, eporter68 said:

Are there any shops in Austin carrying them?

no but I can get you a demo on one one way or another. what size frame do you ride? I buddy just built a beautiful (large) Smash. im about to post up about guerrilla gravity this morning with more information

I have a medium Trail Pistol. I am 5'10" ish as well and it fits like a glove with a 50mm stem. A lot of other brands I am between a M and a L. I think Seth is spot on with his assessment of GG.  If the TP is something you are considering you can take a spin on mine for sizing, I am in Steiner.

44 minutes ago, eporter68 said:

Thanks for the offer. So how will you handle any warranty work with GG? This will be my only ride and the thought of having to mail the bike back to Colorado concerns me.

So, I mean,  this will be the same as having any other bike for many other manufacturer since there are no bike manufacturers in Texas other than Chumba. 

Whether you have to go through the authorized dealer, or deal with the manufacturer directly, they are always going to either require you to send the damage frame in or at least submit pictures. And honestly What is the likelihood of you breaking an aluminum frame? Slim to none most likely. 

Edited by Seths Pool

My understanding if there is a warranty issue it would have to be sent back to them in Colorado.  If you look at the GG forum on MTBR there is very little talk of warranty issues, unlike some other brands where the forum is chalked full of warranty issues or issues of manufactures not warrantying  their frames in the warranty period.  I am originally from the Denver area and visited them this summer and have nothing but good things to say about them. Top notch operation.