IGNORED

Wanted: Older PC with Parallal port

Albert

I need an older PC that has an integrated parallel port.  Preferably one that can run XP (I can install it if need be if it has something newer installed like Windows 7).  I need to use some old device (chip) programmers that need to be connected to the computer via parallel port.

If you have one and you're interested in selling it, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, TheX said:

Have you tried discount electronics?

No, I have not, but thanks for the tip.  I did look at some local marketplace groups on Facebook as well as on Craigslist and found a few good candidates, and hopefully I can buy one of them today.  If that doesn't work out, I'll take a look to see what Discount Electronics has.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

What about USB to parallel dongles?

Those generally don't work very well with anything beyond printers.  In this case, I am using older parallel-based chip programmers, and it's difficult to get them to work with anything but built-in parallel ports.  I ended up buying two machines on eBay -- the first one didn't actually have a built-in parallel port (the machine pictured in the auction did, so I was peeved about that), and two different parallel cards I bought would not work, either.  Ended up buying a second machine that did arrive with a built-in parallel port, and I was able to get the devices to work on that one, using a Windows 2000 VM (one of the devices does not have software that will work on anything newer!) inside Windows 7 and an older version of VMWare Player. 

Took a lot of work, but now I can program some older devices I wasn't able to program previously. 

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

Funny, that's actually one of two different parallel cards I bought, trying to get them to work.  Ultimately had to buy a machine with a built-in parallel port. Amusingly after I got the second machine working with the built-in port, I was able to install this very card and get the second parallel port working through the VM, so now I can have two different devices connected full-time, without having to use a parallel port switcher.

1515248163_ScreenShot2020-12-24at4_51_50PM.thumb.png.b0059d31f0ed0227be3206f1751187a3.png

• Like 1