IGNORED

Taco’d wheel

crankin

3 hours ago, crankin said:

A couple more details. It’s a 115mm QR hub with a disk brake(not sure of rotor size). He’s on the heavier side so I’d like to put on something that’s a bit sturdier.

What size rim?

More spoke might not necessarily help. A strong rim and properly tensioned spokes will go a long way.

34 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

i have two WTB frequency team i23 hoops that are 32h you can have. no dents , dings and roll true

IMG_20201019_132645721.jpg

ATXZJ, I really appreciate the offer but this is an entry level REI bike and my son just started riding so I don’t know if he’ll stick with it. He is going to try Yellow bike for some cheap options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crankin said:

ATXZJ, I really appreciate the offer but this is an entry level REI bike and my son just started riding so I don’t know if he’ll stick with it. He is going to try Yellow bike for some cheap options. 

Define "cheap" with a specific number. You can re-lace one of these rims to the old hub for the cost of a fistfull of spokes. Lacing wheels is not rocket science. DIY or die!

Finding a 27.5" wheel at YBP is very unlikely!

115mm QR hub? That's a new standard to me.

Edited by mack_turtle

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Define "cheap" with a specific number. You can re-lace one of these rims to the old hub for the cost of a fistfull of spokes. Lacing wheels is not rocket science. DIY or die!

Finding a 27.5" wheel at YBP is very unlikely!

115mm QR hub? That's a new standard to me.

I always thought building wheels was a costly endeavor, but I have no experience. REI were the ones that told him 115mm and I haven’t had a bike with QR since the 90’s. Also, with all the different spoke sizes I’d have no idea where to start. 

Google "how to build a bicycle wheel." I've built dozens. It's not hard. Someone offered you a free rim. Measure the hub and use one of the many free spoke calculators out there to figure it out.

REI has gone downhill since I worked there if they think your bike has a 115mm axle.  There are skewers that are 115, but most axles are either 100mm or 110mm aka "boost."

What specific bike is it?

I only ask because I am trying to empower you to save yourself money and get your kid back on the trail. You can do this.

Edited by mack_turtle

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Google "how to build a bicycle wheel." I've built dozens. It's not hard. Someone offered you a free rim. Measure the hub and use one of the many free spoke calculators out there to figure it out.

REI has gone downhill since I worked there if they think your bike has a 115mm axle.  There are skewers that are 115, but most axles are either 100mm or 110mm aka "boost."

What specific bike is it?

I only ask because I am trying to empower you to save yourself money and get your kid back on the trail. You can do this.

It’s a Co-op DRT 1.1. I’ve tried to find out some details about the hub but haven’t had any luck. 

the description shows it has 32 hole wheels. doubtful the spokes will be the right length for these wtb but stranger things have happened. You want em they're yours and ill throw in some tubeless valvestems and some brand new WTB trail boss tires.

all for free to a good cause if you get this crap out of my life

Edited by ATXZJ

c09227f7-8300-43f3-a524-c93ede445a10?siz

I am certain that is a 100mm front hub with a QR skewer. Measure the hub and get the spokes, lace a free rim to the old hub. Easy-peasy.

I looked up "27.5 front wheel qr" and found a ton of options for well under $100 when you search for sales. Standard retail prices for what REI could acquire from their distributors sounds fair.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

the description shows it has 32 hole wheels. doubtful the spokes will be the right length for these wtb but stranger things have happened. You want em they're yours and ill throw in some tubeless valvestems and some brand new WTB trail boss tires.

all for free to a good cause if you get this crap out of my life

ATXZJ. I’ll take you up on your offer and I’ll give lacing a wheel a shot. How can I get your contact info? 

• Like 1