IGNORED

dropper post remotes

mack_turtle

this morning's discussion about questionable dropper post cable routing got me thinking: I am not in love with the KS Southpaw. (I have the older version that pivots a bit more for angle adjustment.) I think I want something with a longer throw, and I'd rather route the cable the other direction with the integrated cable anchor on the post and the tension adjustment on the lever end. I'd be interested in a trade, or I'll buy myself something on Black Friday or something. what's everyone's favorite right now? I am a cheapskate and the idea of $70+ for something so small and simple seems a bit nuts, but I use it a lot.

Shimano has some out now that have not received much attention. Wolftooth and PNW have blingy ones that I could buy if someone could convince me the price is worth it. what else is everyone using?

OMG, I loved my PNW Loam lever so much I bought another one. My thumb is so comfy and happy with it's little pillow when the shredding starts to happen. The lever action is so smooth and the ergonomics are spot on. TOTALLY WORTH IT, but wait a little bit as they just hinted this morning on instagram that they're releasing an update. 🙂

• Like 1

Agree, $70 sounds like a lot for a lever that pulls a cable; no indexing, no precision pull ratio, literally just a lever that pulls a cable. Smoothness of operation seems to depend much more on the dropper actuation mechanism than the lever. I'm sure the expensive ones are more ergonomic and look nicer, but both of the cheap OEM ones on my bikes work fine. I would have no hesitation over trying a random cheapie from amazon, as long as it's clear it clamps the cable.

as long as you're good with orange or gray, Loam lever 20% off at REI with code GEARUP2020
https://www.rei.com/product/149673/pnw-components-loam-dropper-remote-lever

Interesting those are the exact colors I have.

There’s no doubt a lower end remote will work. But the cartridge bearing in the pivot actually makes a difference. It’s not all about how easy it is to pull the cable, it’s a “feel” kinda thing too. The lever doesn’t jiggle or have any lose play in it’s action like lower quality ones can have. It has a precision to it. Also it comes in many matchmaker styles to keep your cockpit clean, which is nice and adds to that premium feel. Now, if none of that matters to you much and you just want a basic lever that pulls a cable, that’s okay. You can save your money. But sometimes it’s nice to buy your baby some jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Had almost all of them at one point and can say there's some really bad ones and theres the good ones. Not a lot in between. Southpaw was fine for me on AL bars but would rotate on carbon bars because I didn't want to crank the bolt to 5nm. Added some carbon paste and it helped a bit. 

FWIW, currently running wolf light action lever on a couple bikes and its okay. The mounting system feels a bit cheap for $70 as the same lever can be used in multiple configurations by changing hardware. The former crappy action feels lighter on my wife's raceface turbine (9.8 knockoff) so thats a bonus.

For me, I've been happy with the oneup lever for the money and feel.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/dropper-post-remote

Edited by ATXZJ

I have the PNW 125mm external dropper on my fat bike. Not only does it work great, but it's by far the easiest dropper I've ever set up. I run it with my BikeYoke Triggy lever.

I have the Cascade as well (first dropper post). Dead simple setup. Works flawlessly. Running with the gray PNW Loam lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Would love to play around with a dropper on the Kona in its current config. Would have to be 100% external cable routing. I found a Private Jake online where the owner had DRILLED HOLES in the frame to internally route them. No thanks.

10761940704__MG_3043.jpg

If it's got traditional rivnuts for cage mounts you can just remove the lower one and snake the cable through there. It can also be replaced pretty easily if you ever want to go back.

I'm currently running a Crankbros Highline 3 150mm with a Wolftooth remote. Got it from Backcountry for $160. The Highline was really simple to install and so far seems to work well although doesn't feel as smooth going up or down as the cheap BrandX's I had on my other bikes. I like the Wolftooth remote, I like the textured paddle and the amount of adjustability. I have the ISpec II mount that gets clamped under the brake lever. The clamp allows for rotational adjustment on the handle bar and also is able to be slid in or out 1/2" by loosening the bearing bolt on the lever.

3 hours ago, TheX said:

Well, went to Velorangutan today and Wes hooked me up with a GREAT deal on the PNW Cascade for the Kona. Wait, he's @xl_cheese here I think.

Thanks Wes! Always a pleasure. I was a long time shopper at Motorangutan, and was glad he was into bike sales also.

I was loitering around also - what time were you there?

13 hours ago, TheX said:

Well, went to Velorangutan today and Wes hooked me up with a GREAT deal on the PNW Cascade for the Kona. Wait, he's @xl_cheese here I think.

Thanks Wes! Always a pleasure. I was a long time shopper at Motorangutan, and was glad he was into bike sales also.

Did he give you a discount based on the number of hikers you ran off the trail?

I kid, I kid.