IGNORED

Kids bike building

4fun

2 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

I took a 24” fully rigid trek Roscoe w/ 2.8” Vee’s, put an 26” air shock on it, changed tires to DHF 2.4.  Actually a pretty capable hard tail for a 9YO.

Broke the bash guard/chain keep so will drop the chain in real rough stuff, hopefully the Paul’s chain keeper I ordered 3 weeks ago will be here soon.

this has lasted my son about a year.  Hopefully it will hold together till April when his Commencal Clash Jr should arrive.

image.jpeg

I may have passed you guys on peddlers today. I like that setup!

• Like 1

What are your guys thoughts on kid specific grips?  I’m liking the nuke proof kid grips on chain reaction, but am having a hard time justifying $27 grips with $16 shipping.  
For when my kid was much younger and not as big as me , I stuck with the grips that came with his bars. They are smaller in diameter and fit his hands better.
As he grew it mattered less honestly. I did get him ODI grips because they have the Van's product and the pattern matched his shoes which he thought was cool.
Reminds me , I still have his old bars if someone needs them. I can't use them anymore of course

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Made some progress on the kid's new bike.  Couple hiccups in the build.  The pair of rims I recieved to build the wheels were mismatched, so only have a rear Chris King wheel so far.  Have another rim on order so I can build a matching front. 

The driveline is a bit of a challenge now that I have tmit together.  Replaced the stock cranks (140mm) with some a bit shorter (125mm) since it seemed to be a common suggestion for this bike/size.  The chainring is lining up pretty much straight ahead of the outer rear cog.  Bottom bracket mounted chain tensioner is one factor pushing the bottom bracket over.  Thinking about trying some chainring spacers, or going back to the stock crank with built in chain guide ring.

20201215_230437.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my cheap Chinese 24” disc wheelset in today from Ali express and was pleasantly surprised in what I got! Sealed bearing hubs with what feels like a decent amount of engagement. I haven’t put them on the truing stand yet, but to the casual spin seem reasonably true. And i might be wrong but I think I can make them tubeless easily. After I take the kids for a ride tomorrow morning I’ll start stripping down my daughter’s bike and building it up with the good stuff! Hope to have some pictures up of the build by Monday evening.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 4:56 PM, RedRider3141 said:

Can they be cut down? I have been having the same issue as @4fun but I also have a grip shift on my kids bike. 

I ended up going with @Teamsloan recommendation and cut them down to a kid friendly 115mm! Can't wait to see the finished product on your paint job!

• Like 2

Just as a heads up to anyone out there doing a kids or any other bike builds. I used and would recommend the microshift Advent 1x9 drivetrain if your looking at buying from scratch. The four piece groupset cost me ~$124 and was rediculously intuitive to set up and the shifts are crisper than my Sram GX 11 & 12 speed drivetrains on my bikes. It Feels like it has a good clutch. Longevity is the only unknown at this point. Felt like a bit of a gamble when I bought it but so far a winner.

Edited by 4fun
  • Like 2

My son now owns more bikes than I do. Which is saying a lot. It started with a junker from Goodwill. He rode the snot out of it, so I got him a 20" Hotrock, which has been great, but the time came for something without a coaster brake. We got him an 18" haro bmx setup, which he enjoys at 9th street, but I don't see getting a lot of miles (fine at $100). He really enjoys mountain bike trails, so I snagged a Kona 24" bike which has been good, but when I started to map out upgrades to it, it just made sense to start fresh. So, early this week I won a GT Stomp 24" disc frame on ebay. Got wheelset parts coming (Dyad 25mm rims and Stans'Novatec hubs). Got a Fox 26" air fork to knock down. Got a 1x9 xt setup, just need cranks and brakes. Leaning towards BB7's, but if I can snag hydros I guess I will.

Going to be a few weeks for parts to arrive, but hoping for a 25# bike when all is said and done. 

Wondering if there is any interest in a pay it forward kids thread for parts. Lots of the junk we have in our garage parts boxes is actually idea for kids (generic stems, 27.2 posts, 9spd bits)..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

What are people doing for tires? I was looking at either the Bontrager XR1 24x2.25 or the Minion in 24x2.3. I like the Bonti price ($25) but I know the Maxxis will tubeless and last a long time. Also, looks like I can get some verison of the Maxxis for $33 on ebay.

I was looking for a more plump 24" tire that didn't weigh a ton and wasn't too costly.  I didn't have to HAVE IT ALL....tubeless wasn't on my list! 😉   This was the best I coudl do and I was not disappointed.  I might have a decent Specy 24" OEM tire you can have...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07657ZKYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Wondering if there is any interest in a pay it forward kids thread for parts. Lots of the junk we have in our garage parts boxes is actually idea for kids (generic stems, 27.2 posts, 9spd bits)..

Do you have any idea as to what constitutes "kids bikes/parts"?  My youngest has moved up to 26" (albeit XS)....my oldest is riding bigger bike than me (but he IS my KID after all)!

All that said, I'd be down for a thread like that.  If it's not popular enough then it will just fall down the pages into obscurity.

I might have a decent Specy 24" OEM tire you can have...

Just now, CBaron said:

I was looking for a more plump 24" tire that didn't weigh a ton and wasn't too costly.  I didn't have to HAVE IT ALL....tubeless wasn't on my list! 😉   This was the best I coudl do and I was not disappointed.  I might have a decent Specy 24" OEM tire you can have...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07657ZKYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I snagged a cheap "Mongoose" 24x3" tire off Amazon and he is running it on the front now. actual measure on a narrow rim is about 2.75" But it is plump and makes up for the crappy fork on the Kona now. For the GT build, thinking a nice 2.3-2.5 tire would be great.

If anyone has any of the crappy stock 24x1.95 tires these bikes come with, let me know. I am the bike guy for our neighborhood and have a few kids in need of new rear tires (too many skid stops!).