IGNORED

Kids bike building

4fun

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Strong maybe, I think I need a little longer. Let me throw my stem on when the bike is built and see how he fits.

Looking at cassettes. XT 10spd shifter/rear D. There is a nice XT 11-36 with a One Up 40T range extender and 16t conversion on PinkBike for $50, or for $50 I can just get him a new SunRace 11-40T. Lightly used XT vs new Chinesium. Going to skip the full chinesium Boloney and other Aliexpress trash. 

What say you - new Sunrace or used moded XT???

Sorry, the cassette I had laying around was an 11spd.  I'd say 11-40 Sunrace for the win.

1 hour ago, Teamsloan said:

The Sunrace 11-40 is a good looking cassette. It seemed like a quality piece of kit when I installed it on my sons bike. The spacing between the gears seems nice and even instead of having a big jump when going up to the biggest cog. Pretty sick looking red carrier too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used multiple sunrace 10 & 11spd cassette and have no complaints. Do recommend the MX or MZ series with the AL bodies.

28 minutes ago, TheX said:

I have the 10 speed M7000 mech and 11-40 cassette that came off of the Kona. Free to whoever needs them.

Can say, thats a good grab. Cassette and derailleur are nexta new. Also, the 7000 can be used as 11 or 10spd.

Edited by ATXZJ

On 1/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, 4fun said:

Sorry for the over posting, but pretty pumped on this process and figured I should post some of the pictures!

IMG_4805.MOV

C945825E-CD7E-4576-A943-BA46A00021AC.jpeg

E1101B47-9093-4008-B493-FDE338F8E4CF.jpeg

3786662F-87DA-4D40-9CB4-8765C1387422.jpeg

I started bolting stuff to the frame, but I like this approach more. I'll build the wheels and cut and bleed brakes before hand, but then make the Boy come hang out with me while we build it all up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I started bolting stuff to the frame, but I like this approach more. I'll build the wheels and cut and bleed brakes before hand, but then make the Boy come hang out with me while we build it all up.

The only downside I had to her building, is she got to pick the garage music and so there was a lot of Adele and kids bop🤣

On 1/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, RedRider3141 said:

I also haven't had much luck, especially not being very familiar with 24" sized options. 20" was pretty easy. I finally settled on some maxxis holy rollers. 

my 8 yo is using rocket rons. My 13 year old used them originally so they are lasting a long time. 

Dang this build is getting pricey. I had forgotten how all the little things add up. Thankfully lots of free parts and a handful of stuff from my parts bin. Pics next week when it all arrives.

• GT Scamp 24" disc frame
  • Fox Float R 80mm
  • XT 10spd (11-40)
  • SR Suntour Zeron 152mm 30t
  • Hope Tech EVO brakes 160/140
  • Carbon post/bars, generic stem, grips
  • SDG Jr Saddle
  • Wheels: Velocity Dyad rims, Sapim Race spokes, Novatec hubs (6 pawl), Probably Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.4/2.3
  • KMC gold chain
  • King headset (parts bin)

Kid sure as hell better like it. Had to start ordering parts from my side account so the wife wouldn't get on me about the cost. Better sell some plasma.

Edited by Mattlikesbikes
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Dang this build is getting pricey. I had forgotten how all the little things add up. Thankfully lots of free parts and a handful of stuff from my parts bin. Pics next week when it all arrives.

• Fox Float R 80mm
  • XT 10spd (11-40)
  • SDG Jr Saddle
  • Wheels: Velocity Dyad rims, Sapim Race spokes, Novatec hubs (6 pawl), Probably Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.4/2.3
  • KMC gold chain

Kid sure as hell better like it. Had to start ordering parts from my side account so the wife wouldn't get on me about the cost. Better sell some plasma.

I snuck a lot of parts in on the Christmas bonanza and spread out the buying to keep the questioning by the better half to a minimum🤣

56 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

• Fox Float R 80mm
  • XT 10spd (11-40)
  • SDG Jr Saddle
  • KMC gold chain

Very impressive build!!!

2 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

• Fox Float R 80mm
  • XT 10spd (11-40)
  • SDG Jr Saddle
  • KMC gold chain

What pedals are you running? I tried to go cheap and bought DMR V6 and they are complete crap and huge. I now am waiting for the SDG slater kid pedals to get here. Lesson learned!

Edited by 4fun

4 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Those look to be a much better budget friendly option than the V6.  

No idea. Amazon says the V6 has a 4.3 rating and the Stolen has a 3.8, so who knows. I do know the reviews on the Stolen say rebuild/repack them before use. I'll pump them full of white lithium before we mount them.

Last order, spokes, placed today. my bank card can take a holiday. 

Silly, but he is getting tubeless as valve stems were cheaper than 24x2.3 presta tubes.

5 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

No idea. Amazon says the V6 has a 4.3 rating and the Stolen has a 3.8, so who knows. I do know the reviews on the Stolen say rebuild/repack them before use. I'll pump them full of white lithium before we mount them.

Last order, spokes, placed today. my bank card can take a holiday. 

Silly, but he is getting tubeless as valve stems were cheaper than 24x2.3 presta tubes.

Not silly at all. My daughter is tubeless and I can’t wait to get my two younger ones tubeless, because I’m tired of patching slow leaks every two or three rides from small and sometimes large thorns. The primary place I take them for a quick after work rides is full of pointy things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

I have used an injector to put Stans inside a tube on my kids bike.  Not really sure how effective it is but don’t seem to get those slow leaks from thorns.

Cheers,

Shaner

It should stop punctures from thorns VERY well. Makes the wheel/tire/tube/sealant combo heavier.