IGNORED

Kids bike building

4fun

On 2/4/2021 at 1:49 PM, Mattlikesbikes said:

Silly, but he is getting tubeless as valve stems were cheaper than 24x2.3 presta tubes.

Not silly.  At one point I had 3 kids in regular bike riding and the cost and effort for tubes (whether patching or buying tubes) was not insignificant.  Problem was that they were not really riding a wheel system that I felt strongly enough about tubeless'ifying it.  Now that my youngest is up to 26" wheels, he's running Stans Crest and it makes life much easier all way around.

2 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

I have used an injector to put Stans inside a tube on my kids bike.  Not really sure how effective it is but don’t seem to get those slow leaks from thorns.

Cheers,

Shaner

Back before tubeless was a thing, this is exactly how it was done.  I cut my teeth riding in West TX while in college where there were many goat head thorns and you HAD TO run slime in your tubes.

Later,
CJB

For those running the SR Zeron cranks, are you running boots, if so, what size fits? Google has failed me. 

Boots on alloy cranks? Nah. They’re pretty stout feeling and my kid isn’t shredding gnar big enough to get remotely close to damaging these.

Crank boots are reserved for maintaining that lustrous carbon finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Alright, wheels are all built. I bought a set of cheap stems off Amazon and of course one sheered off during inflation. So got to track down a set of nice heavy Stan's stems (vs cheap ass aluminum). 

Rebuilt the first brake lever, which was easy, just took time. Gotta say @AustinBike you are hard as shit on your stuff and have some toxic aluminum melting sweat. (Bob gave me the Hope's off your old Niner). Will rebuild the other lever today and shorten hoses for the small frame, then bleed. After that I'll bring it all inside and make the Boy help with the rest of assembly. So maybe by Sunday we will be ready to ride, though no place to go.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Alright, wheels are all built. I bought a set of cheap stems off Amazon and of course one sheered off during inflation. So got to track down a set of nice heavy Stan's stems (vs cheap ass aluminum). 

Yes aluminum stems suck. I've had one break on the trail.

Well I almost thought it would never happen. The wheels literally took two hours to get tubeless. Every trick in the book. Finally used CO2 cartridges. 

Boy was only sort of interested in helping, perhaps the cold garage was to blame. 

It all turned out awesome. He loves it. Figured out the trigger shifter right away and is getting used to brakes that work and a real fork. Some fitting to be done, but not till it warms up.

IMG_20210213_163901.jpg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Well I almost thought it would never happen. The wheels literally took two hours to get tubeless. Every trick in the book. Finally used CO2 cartridges. 

Boy was only sort of interested in helping, perhaps the cold garage was to blame. 

It all turned out awesome. He loves it. Figured out the trigger shifter right away and is getting used to brakes that work and a real fork. Some fitting to be done, but not till it warms up.

IMG_20210213_163901.jpg

*the sound of loud applause*

• Like 1

Sorry for the tease, my daughter and I built what we could today after dealing with yard pickup from the storm. I feel a little regret after seeing some of these quality builds. My choice to not touch the fork/wheels is going to bug me. 😂 

To do: shifter cable, chain, ergo adjust, grips and bar trimming. 

20210221_171858.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Sorry for the tease, my daughter and I built what we could today after dealing with yard pickup from the storm. I feel a little regret after seeing some of these quality builds. My choice to not touch the fork/wheels is going to bug me. 😂 

To do: shifter cable, chain, ergo adjust, grips and bar trimming. 

20210221_171858.jpg

it looks awesome and really if it gets her psyched up to ride that's all that matters!

• Like 3

it looks awesome and really if it gets her psyched up to ride that's all that matters!

^this.
This is all that really matters. You could get her a blinged out Trailcraft, but if it doesn’t increase the stoke then what’s the point? The teal/ purple/ oil slick ano combo makes for a pretty sick looking bike IMHO. [emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, Mattlikesbikes said:

IMG_20210213_163901.jpg

Alright, now that I am back at a laptop and not posting from my phone. I can thank the folks that helped make it happen.

TheX, Shinerider, Jon Kubala, and a few not on here. 

The tires continue to be a PITA to keep tubeless, but they seem to be holding now. I cannot get a bead lock to hold once the air comes out of them. So spare tubes will be a must for trail changes. Only saving grace is my giant compressor at home (my 100psi pancake won't do it). 

I took Cody's advice and flipped the stem and swapped the spacers, so the fit is better now. Still working out the fork. I don't think I can let enough air out of it to sag correctly and still have it function. But once we hit some real trails we can get a better idea. I do need to pull the BB and move the spacers to get a better chainline. Right now the 40T feels like too much cross, so going to 2 spacers on the ND side should help that. Rotors came from my junk box, so need to true them both. 

But he loves it. Rides it all over the hood. I am anxious to get him on a trail, but suspect this week is a no go. I suspect Peddlers will be out for awhile, same with WC. Anything in SATN ridable this week?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gdog-1992 said:

On a related note, anyone know of a bike shop in town that carries Kid's Full Face helmets in stock?  I can always order online but it may be easier to go somewhere to be tried on.  TIA

Not sure on local. I bought John the RockBros helmet, seen in the photo above, from Amazon. It lists being CE compliant. There are a number of them out at 9th street on the kids. Otherwise the only other thing I have seen is a kid out there with a Troy Lee kids helmet.

On the RockBros, we measured his head and it should have been a large, which we ordered, but the twist tighten would not go nearly tight enough, so we swapped for the medium and it actually fit at about half way dialed in, so lots of room to grow.

Also for kids helmets, we bought a couple of the universal helmet pad kits from Amazon and use those to fine tune fit. I actually fixed the fit on my own helmets with some of the extra pads. snug and more comfortable now as well. 

On 2/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, Mattlikesbikes said:

Alright, now that I am back at a laptop and not posting from my phone. I can thank the folks that helped make it happen.

TheX, Shinerider, Jon Kubala, and a few not on here. 

The tires continue to be a PITA to keep tubeless, but they seem to be holding now. I cannot get a bead lock to hold once the air comes out of them. So spare tubes will be a must for trail changes. Only saving grace is my giant compressor at home (my 100psi pancake won't do it). 

I took Cody's advice and flipped the stem and swapped the spacers, so the fit is better now. Still working out the fork. I don't think I can let enough air out of it to sag correctly and still have it function. But once we hit some real trails we can get a better idea. I do need to pull the BB and move the spacers to get a better chainline. Right now the 40T feels like too much cross, so going to 2 spacers on the ND side should help that. Rotors came from my junk box, so need to true them both. 

But he loves it. Rides it all over the hood. I am anxious to get him on a trail, but suspect this week is a no go. I suspect Peddlers will be out for awhile, same with WC. Anything in SATN ridable this week?

This is the kind of post that restores my faith (partially) in humans. Well done, DAD!