IGNORED

Kids bike building

4fun

3 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Thanks! I'm curious how it the paint will hold up. It definitely had some cracks/chips develop at the rear axle (bolt).

I left the original black where the rear wheel mounts. I used Lamin-x in areas that will see the most abuse.

image.png.2a2465519776a27eca3bc16eb394777a.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheX said:

I left the original black where the rear wheel mounts. I used Lamin-x in areas that will see the most abuse.

image.png.2a2465519776a27eca3bc16eb394777a.png

That's a great idea. It still looks great with your color scheme too. 

I did use some clear thick vinyl for chain stay and cable runs but in the end, my advantage is that it's a kids bike and she's going to crash/scuff it on the first ride. I already warned her and said it's ok to get scratches from riding. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to painting the frame we’re going to use for my sons build! I wet sanded last week and today we got the rattle can powder coat on, the decals on, and first coat of clear. I’m planning on sanding with 1000 grit, applying another coat of regular clear, then 2000 grit and finishing off with a coat or 2 of blue/silver fleck keratin clear.

45F97824-6063-4D42-A897-855A4CACEEF3.jpeg

F8DDDF66-9C5E-4BF4-91ED-4AA2519A11E4.jpeg

15C198AA-464C-4F40-97EE-F25E9962516E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:34 AM, Bamwa said:

TFW you spend 3k on a bike for an 8 year old...

TBF 3 kids are going through this bike and I didnt spend 3K since I built it up myself. You cant get the frame only anymore so to replace it would be around 3K or possibly more.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall call it Mini-me! All this rain has enabled finishing my son's bike build earlier than planned! He's still about 6-10 months from being tall enough to ride it on trails, but he super excited about it!

9B81B97C-B9BF-4142-AEB9-8A1E586ADEF2.jpeg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

I love the mini-me color scheme!

The picture doesn't do the paint job justice! When you put it in the sun it sparkles blue and silver. That spray.bike is awesome and my daughter is jelous we didn't paint hers.

Looking for a decent condition, basic suspension fork in 26". Neighbor kid FINALLY agreed to move up from his 24" bike (kid is 5'2 at 8yo). I picked up a 15.5" Trek last summer for him (and have been hassling him to upgrade since then). Tuned up and GTG, but the low end fork is trash. I don't expect him to mtb much, but something that isn't rusted would be an upgrade. V brake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...