IGNORED

Kids bike building

4fun

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Wondering if there is any interest in a pay it forward kids thread for parts. Lots of the junk we have in our garage parts boxes is actually idea for kids (generic stems, 27.2 posts, 9spd bits)..

How about just tagging kids' bike parts/clothes with #kidsparts or something like that that makes it easy to search, we can keep using the pay it forward thread.  I had proposed something like this in the past since kids go through stuff very quickly as they grow.

If anyone has any of the crappy stock 24x1.95 tires these bikes come with, let me know. I am the bike guy for our neighborhood and have a few kids in need of new rear tires (too many skid stops!).

I actually have a set you are welcome to.

For my 8yo’s 24” hotrock I ordered some special tan wall Vee Tire Flow Snaps from Commencal when they were selling their kids bikes with tan walls. I can’t find the tan walls anymore, but the tires are a good size and are grippy. I actually had to clip the outer blocks of the tread a little bit to get them to fit between the chain stays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

What are people doing for tires? I was looking at either the Bontrager XR1 24x2.25 or the Minion in 24x2.3. I like the Bonti price ($25) but I know the Maxxis will tubeless and last a long time. Also, looks like I can get some verison of the Maxxis for $33 on ebay.

My son kept loosing traction on his 24” bike, so we put 2.4 DHF’s front & back.  They are heavy but are great for the loose over hard stuff.  I saw his riding improve as he grew more confident of the tire hooking up.  Backdrop, he was riding 2.8 Vee’s with shallow tread before the DHF’s.

Cheers,

Shaner

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

What are people doing for tires? I was looking at either the Bontrager XR1 24x2.25 or the Minion in 24x2.3. I like the Bonti price ($25) but I know the Maxxis will tubeless and last a long time. Also, looks like I can get some verison of the Maxxis for $33 on ebay.

I went with the maxxis Recons 24 x 2.2. I think it’s likely the $33 dollar ones on e-bay you are referring to. They are not labeled Tubeless ready, but are 60 TPI and sealed up tubeless with no problems! I also picks up some cheap anodized purple schrader tubeless valves on e-bay or Amazon and they also worked without a hitch. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, 4fun said:

Just as a heads up to anyone out there doing a kids or any other bike builds. I used and would recommend the microshift Advent 1x9 drivetrain if your looking at buying from scratch. The four piece groupset cost me ~$124 and was rediculously intuitive to set up and the shifts are crisper than my Sram GX 11 & 12 speed drivetrains on my bikes. It Feels like it has a good clutch. Longevity is the only unknown at this point. Felt like a bit of a gamble when I bought it but so far a winner.

I've got a box of normal range XT/XTR cassettes (34t), but was wondering if I should try one of the large range Microshift cassettes, up to say a 42T. Any idea how well do they work with Shimano or SRAM shifters, and a medium cage rear D?

11 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I've got a box of normal range XT/XTR cassettes (34t), but was wondering if I should try one of the large range Microshift cassettes, up to say a 42T. Any idea how well do they work with Shimano or SRAM shifters, and a medium cage rear D?

Not sure if microshifts 9 speed cassettes will play nicely with the other two brands. They do claim there shifters won’t work well with the other brands derailleurs. I’ll try and get my calipers out (I need to find a new battery) and measure distance between cassette cog for you. I would think if the spacing between the two cassettes is the same it would work, but might end up needing one of those wolf tooth derailleur hanger extender things for the medium cage.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

My kiddos would likely do just as well at this age with the 34tooth and the XT/XTR would be significantly lighter. That’s the downfall of the micro shift 9 speed stuff is the weight! They do shift crisply though

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4fun said:

My kiddos would likely do just as well at this age with the 34tooth and the XT/XTR would be significantly lighter. That’s the downfall of the micro shift 9 speed stuff is the weight! They do shift crisply though

I'll start him on a 30x34t setup. If he still needs to spin more then we can consider buying a cassette. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CBaron said:

Do you have any idea as to what constitutes "kids bikes/parts"?  My youngest has moved up to 26" (albeit XS)....my oldest is riding bigger bike than me (but he IS my KID after all)!

All that said, I'd be down for a thread like that.  If it's not popular enough then it will just fall down the pages into obscurity.

I think 26" is basically a kid or small person part these days. I certainly have a pile of 26" stuff laying around too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4fun said:

Not sure if microshifts 9 speed cassettes will play nicely with the other two brands. They do claim there shifters won’t work well with the other brands derailleurs. .....

It may not be relevant to the 9-speed discussion, but I mixed a Shimano Alivio trigger shifter (8 speed) with a Microshift R8 rear derailleur and it works well.  Used an 8-speed 11-28 Shimano XT cassette I had.  Overall it is a much improved setup to the 6-speed gripshift setup that came on my kids Trek Superfly 20.

• Like 1

For cranks I've heard good things about the SR Suntour Zeron in 30t, but am also thinking about the SR xct jr which is a 104/64bcd square taper crank. Price ends up being the same -$75 for both by the time I buy a 30t 104bcd ring and bb for the Xct. So what are the chances I'll only ever need a single ring crank, vs having the option of running 2x with the Xct...

The xct would let me also put a bashguard on as well which seems useful with the lower clearance of a 24" bike. Collective wisdom???

• Like 1

I went with the zeron because I like external bearing BSA bb’s. The bike is 1x10 with a 11-40t cassette, so he’s got plenty of range and as I mentioned before, he’s not hitting gnar big enough to need a bashguard. But I did cobble together a chain guide to prevent any chain drops which wouldn’t have worked with a 2x setup.

• Like 1

Same as above on the Zeron, I like the external BB aspect, so I went with that. With the teeth profile of the chainring and the good clutch on the micro shift derailleur I’m not too worried about my daughter dropping chains (probably just jinxed it 😂). The zerons are heavy though.

Figured I'd post this in the kids thread instead of pay it forward.  Have a leftover drivetrain from my kids 2016 NICA season, free to good kid's cause. 11-36 SLX cassette. 785 XT, 675SLX and a 10spd chain with link. Run a 30 or 28t up front and you'll be G2G. 

IMG_20201211_103743977 (1).jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Figured I'd post this in the kids thread instead of pay it forward.  Have a leftover drivetrain from my kids 2016 NICA season, free to good kid's cause. 11-36 SLX cassette. 785 XT, 675SLX and a 10spd chain with link. Run a 30 or 28t up front and you'll be G2G. 

I wanna give some other guys a shot at this before I jump on it as I’m not in an immediate need. But if no one takes you up on it in the next few days it would go well on my son’s 24” build that I’m starting to collect parts for that he won’t be big enough for until this time next year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I was just out riding with my youngest and was having issues with his drivetrain.  He's not running a clutch rear-D and has been dropping the chain (4x today).  I'd love to give this a go!

Thanks,
CJB

• Like 2

Finishing the kid bike build parts ordering. Before I order stuff need the following:

• old school straight steer tube 1 1/8th headset. So classic 34mm, external cups. Any color. Could actually do with just a bottom cup set.
  • 60-70mm 0-10* rise stem, 31.8. 
  • 10spd cassette (Any and can trade for 9spd xt/xtr cassettes)

10 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

aa067be2aaaf1c6d3d440ca756ffe559.jpg
Yours if you want it!

Strong maybe, I think I need a little longer. Let me throw my stem on when the bike is built and see how he fits.

Looking at cassettes. XT 10spd shifter/rear D. There is a nice XT 11-36 with a One Up 40T range extender and 16t conversion on PinkBike for $50, or for $50 I can just get him a new SunRace 11-40T. Lightly used XT vs new Chinesium. Going to skip the full chinesium Boloney and other Aliexpress trash. 

What say you - new Sunrace or used moded XT???

The Sunrace 11-40 is a good looking cassette. It seemed like a quality piece of kit when I installed it on my sons bike. The spacing between the gears seems nice and even instead of having a big jump when going up to the biggest cog. Pretty sick looking red carrier too.