IGNORED

Arecibo Radio Telescope Collapses!

TheX

Yeah, that really sucks.  After one cable came free from its anchor not too long ago, and another cable simply snapped, it was deemed too dangerous to repair.  So this was the inevitable result.  They were hoping to deconstruct it gracefully and not lose everything.  Even the three towers snapped.  I'm hoping it can be rebuilt anew once this is cleaned up, but that's not something I expect to happen quickly.

..Al

My next door neighbor is a PHD Cosmologist, with some serious credentials. He lives in radio telescope data every single day. Here is is answer to my question about the importance of Arecibo.

It’s pretty tragic for certain science.  There is some science that needs the monolithic giant dish.  There’s another one in China, but it’s not nearly as good.  A lot of the science done at the same wavelengths can be done with interferometers, which have been angular resolution usually, but loose sensitivity.      So, it’s a big loss (it’s easier to work in places like Puerto Rico than China, which has a lot more restrictions, and usually requires their scientists take charge of the data, etc).   

The problem is finding other places that are conducive to giant dishes!!

• Like 1