IGNORED

Shimano Pad Question

AustinBike

My FS bike has the standard Shimano pads, the brakes are XT.

My SS has XTR and it has the more expensive pads with the “cooling fins” on them.

Here’s the simple question: are the “finned” pads appreciably better? I’d gladly shell out a little more for better stopping (bike is fine, but the SS always feels better.) The XT will take either pads. 

Theoretically the fins should provide better cooling, right? But will I even know if I am not a DH racer? 

I have tried both finned and regular pads and cannot tell a difference as far as power and heat. I agree with ATXJ, more power will come from larger rotors than finned pads. I have cooked a few rotors in my time, but it was in the mountains on 2 piston brakes with 160mm rotors. At my weight the best results for heat dissipation and power have come from 203mm rotors and 4 piston brakes. Used Trucker Co brake pads and felt just as good as Shimano pads for way cheaper. The disco pads look like another good buy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

The other concern is that it looks like my rotor might be a bit undersized:

IMG_5962.thumb.jpeg.428ef053c8d7c73b4b5bc1e6b7b64c68.jpeg

I think the shitty braking was probably the tops of the pads hitting each other.

There are no spacers on the calipers, they are right on the frame, so this feels real weird.

Was running into that a bit on my friends sentinel build. Was running XTR brakes with TRP rotors and shimano adaptors. Your caliper is too high or rotor is small. As I recall there's a 3mm difference between some sram & shimano. 

19 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

It is a factory-configured bike. XT calipers, XT rotors, no spacers, probably worth a question to the manufacturer.

160s F&R?

Odd.  I've seen the rear sit low as the caliper mount on the frame was machined down too far during production.

Edited by ATXZJ

12 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

160s F&R?

Odd.  I've seen the rear sit low as the caliper mount on the frame was machined down too far during production.

180F, 160R, this one is the R. 

Checked Strava and I have ~1000 miles on it, which, based on my averages, means ~66 rides on the brakes. Definitely should be lasting longer than that. Factory Shimano, came on the bike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Checked Strava and I have ~1000 miles on it, which, based on my averages, means ~66 rides on the brakes. Definitely should be lasting longer than that. Factory Shimano, came on the bike.

Strange for sure. That lip at a minimum should be causing some brake noise. Since you have no adapter, it's most likely caused by brake mounting boss that isn't the correct height for your rotor, or a rotor that's too small in OD. Rotor theory is an easy one to solve. Frame, notsomuch.

I had to place some small flat washers between the caliper and adapter bracket on the rear of my LT bike as the caliper sat low.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

My 2019 road bike (RIP) had some pads that wore really fast.  It turns out Shimano had a problem with that compound.  They’ve obsoleted that compound and released a new one. Maybe yours are the same?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

In Texas finned pads are like stickers, they are worth at least 50W. 

I agree that the calipers seem to be sitting low, you might getaway with a washer under each mounting lug/boss.

Caliper is too high, the rotor is sitting too low in relation to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

In Texas finned pads are like stickers, they are worth at least 50W. 

I agree that the calipers seem to be sitting low, you might getaway with a washer under each mounting lug/boss.

Calipers are literally on the frame. I cannot adjust them lower at this point. A washer would make it worse.

Calipers are literally on the frame. I cannot adjust them lower at this point. A washer would make it worse.

Guess it’s time to ditch them for some Hopes. [emoji13]

I think you’ll like the sintered pads more. The caliper is definitely too high, but other than taking them to a shop to machine down the mounts there’s not much you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Guess it’s time to ditch them for some Hopes. emoji13.png

I think you’ll like the sintered pads more. The caliper is definitely too high, but other than taking them to a shop to machine down the mounts there’s not much you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke to Wes and am going to drop it off this week. That is my guess on what he is going to do. Pulled the front brakes and those were also an issue with the pad extending over the top of the rotor. But the gap was much smaller, I was able to file it down. However, when I move to metallic pads on the front I will need the calipers ground down because metallic pads are far more difficult to grind down.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Spoke to Wes and am going to drop it off this week. That is my guess on what he is going to do. Pulled the front brakes and those were also an issue with the pad extending over the top of the rotor. But the gap was much smaller, I was able to file it down. However, when I move to metallic pads on the front I will need the calipers ground down because metallic pads are far more difficult to grind down.

that is really odd that both are doing this. Be a stretch, but you might also check the caliper itself. Swap the ones off your other bike that doesnt have the issue and see wtf is up.

id also machine those rather than just hand grind them if there is indeed an issue with the caliper.

3 hours ago, TheX said:

Caliper is too high, the rotor is sitting too low in relation to it.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

image.png.5a5340aacfd443159f9f1fb9f94ccf23.png

Duh. I had it backwards. Still, enough washers and it would solve the problem... 

• Haha 1