IGNORED

Pearl Pass Tour in Crested Butte

St.Bernardo

I haven't done the 'Tour' but rode it back in late 90's. Stayed in a BandB in Aspen and then rode back the same way. I hear Star /Taylor Pass is a good alternative one direction. Epic back up there at 12700ft+ it got cold and rainy and we were not prepared (white cotton socks, fingerless gloves, shorts, light wind jacket). Rained the whole way back, V-brakes fried, cleats packed with mud, crashed once. It was tough, I think about 25 miles of climbing from the CB side up but only about 15 miles from the Aspen side. Some nasty chunk hike a bike at the top***. Be prepared, but it is an awesome ride for sure.

***probably all rideable on a modern rig

Edited by GFisher

4 hours ago, GFisher said:

I haven't done the 'Tour' but rode it back in late 90's. Stayed in a BandB in Aspen and then rode back the same way. I hear Star /Taylor Pass is a good alternative one direction. Epic back up there at 12700ft+ it got cold and rainy and we were not prepared (white cotton socks, fingerless gloves, shorts, light wind jacket). Rained the whole way back, V-brakes fried, cleats packed with mud, crashed once. It was tough, I think about 25 miles of climbing from the CB side up but only about 15 miles from the Aspen side. Some nasty chunk hike a bike at the top***. Be prepared, but it is an awesome ride for sure.

***probably all rideable on a modern rig

I didn't do the Tour either, but I rode PP solo from Aspen (Buttermilk) to CB in Sep 2018.

IMG_0322.thumb.jpeg.7e806e41f2b2e139b84e1cfac461b983.jpeg

Garmin says it was about 40 miles and 5600' of climbing that took me over 10 hours. By the time I was finished I called it a fun thing that I'll never do again, but after looking at some pictures of the ride and a couple of years of brain cell deterioration I'm tempted to try it again. Looking at my ride profile I'd say that the climb out of Aspen is steeper than out of CB, and my recollection was that it was rockier too, but that may be because it's easier to go down over the rocks than up.

image.png.51e7717256a760f6964027d6e0934114.png 

A lot of that climb reminded me of the HoL; that is, loose and steep.

IMG_0314.thumb.jpeg.80be0f04a6498249b95133845db338ee.jpeg

It was definitely chunky at the top, and possibly rideable by someone who isn't me.

IMG_0327.thumb.jpeg.65d7978c56c976cc240de4e6f6bc56a7.jpeg

• Like 2