IGNORED

What if the world moved back to 10-speed?

AustinBike

Having ridden on 12-speed (SRAM) for almost a year now, I still feel that the old Shimano 10-speed was smoother and sturdier. It always feels like the SRAM cassette is too frail. Maybe it is the sound, maybe it is the engagement.

This got me thinking that instead of going even higher (i.e. 13-speed) is there a market for a better 10- or 11-speed option with wider range? I never use the 50T because it spins too much, so much so that I am thinking about ditching the front ring for a bigger one. 

Would the shifting range of a 10-speed with a 50T in the back be so large that the jumps between gears on the cassette would be too jarring, or would you eventually get used to the increments?

I'm seriously considering moving down in total gears for my next drivetrain upgrade, but the biggest issue is probably the availability of components moving forward more than anything else.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

I was here a couple months ago on my park bike.  It spends most of its time in the bailout gear crawling to the top of the hill, then the little cog for a short run back down. Could honestly make due with a 4spd but it'd never shift right.

Was seriously considering the box 9 one  but kept hearing how sensitive they were to adjustment. That's the last thing I wanted was a 9spd that's temperamental. Ended up going 12spd xt derailleur with 11-50 11spd cassette.

I've run 11-46, 10spd and it did really well but that's the max I'd push a 10spd. Currently putting together another bike for the wife that will run a 10spd wide ratio frankentrain. Also, the new 12spd derailleurs are light-years ahead of the older stuff when it comes to shifting and retention. You can also run the 12spd stuff on 10spd cassettes as long as you keep the largest cog as close to original intent as possible.

EX: M8120 XT derailleur is designed for 45t so that would be a good candidate for 42 or 46 cassette vs the 8100 that's made for 51t.

Hope all that crap makes sense.

Edited by ATXZJ

ten seems like plenty for most riders and should keep costs down. the question is: how many gears is enough? and how many is enough for the average consumer? I'm certain that most rider don't care enough about "cadence," especially on a mountain bike, to need 12 or more. for elite level athletes or people who think they are elite level athletes, there are options. for the rest of us, 1x9 is probably just fine.

3 minutes ago, ebflo said:

No doubt I would be happy with a 10-speed if it had the 10 I want, but everyone would want a different 10. Modern 12-speeds allow bikes to come off the shelf with all the gears I want as well as all the gears most other people want.

The same would have been said about 8 speed versus 10, back when 8 was normal.

Going from 10 to 11 speed XT was a slight upgrade for me.  Going from 42t to 46t in the back makes it easier to run 170mm cranks to avoid pedal strikes.  Other than the range it feels identical.

This is a thing: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-microshifts-10-speed-advent-x-drivetrain-pond-beaver-2020.html

Then there's this article: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Their tests show that 12 speed is significantly more durable than 11 speed.  These graphs are chain wear, but I think it makes sense to assume that the rest of the drivetrain wears at a similar rate since it's so enmeshed with the chain.

Shimano-8-vs-9-vs-10-vs-11-vs-12-speed-chains-durability-chart-latest.thumb.jpg.445d950ebd813b5f197111c38301b06d.jpg

11-speed-chain-durability-test-zero-friction-cycling-new.thumb.jpg.3d44334f99a12a6dbd89e9eca5ddc769.jpg\12-speed-chain-durability-test-zero-friction-cycling.thumb.jpg.2ec6ef59e5bdc9ce4e33516e6b7464c1.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, the 12spd chain is also a huge upgrade in shift quality and durability (mainly from improvements in design and also the ability to run at a greater angle). I run X0 eagle chain on my 11spd sram and 12spd KMC on my other bikes.

You can easily buy a widerange sunrace or microshift 9spd cassette, Deore/SLX/XT 12spd derailleur, eagle gx chain and a box one 9spd shifter and have a CTX baller on a budget.  The biggest issue is the jump from the 2nd to largest cog to the bailout gear. A 6 tooth jump is normal, 8 is pushing it and anything over that is gonna be trash IMHO.

Edited by ATXZJ

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Having ridden on 12-speed (SRAM) for almost a year now, I still feel that the old Shimano 10-speed was smoother and sturdier. It always feels like the SRAM cassette is too frail. Maybe it is the sound, maybe it is the engagement.

Maybe the key is just to try the new Shimano stuff. I have not ridden Shimano 11 or 12 speed, but all the reviewers seem to gush over the new hyperglide stuff.

my only experience is with road bikes, where I very much prefer the feel of Shimano shifting.

19 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

Maybe the key is just to try the new Shimano stuff. I have not ridden Shimano 11 or 12 speed, but all the reviewers seem to gush over the new hyperglide stuff.

my only experience is with road bikes, where I very much prefer the feel of Shimano shifting.

Yeah, if I ever have a chance I would definitely want to try the Shimano. After years of SRAM I switched to Shimano in the 10-speed days, and found that their 10-speed was better than SRAM. Had been on Shimano for years since then and recently shifted to SRAM with the 12-speed last fall.

Next time I rent a bike, I'll be looking to see if it has a Shimano drive train, the SRAM just "feels" cheaper/lighter. I can't discern if it is 12-speed or SRAM.

My newest bike has come with GX 12 speed. Which might as well be a 11 speed because the 52 tooth on the new GX will never get used around here and even in harsher climbing environment I can't see myself using it! 10 speed with a 42 tooth bail out would be just fine for me.

52? I spin too much on my 50 that I never use it. 52 is just adding insult to injury. Those things are really only good for long sustained climbs and we just don't have them here. They help a bit on our short steep climbs, but two or three revolutions in and you're at the top and suddenly be in 50T is a problem. I do all of my climbing in the 2nd or 3rd gear.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

52? I spin too much on my 50 that I never use it. 52 is just adding insult to injury. Those things are really only good for long sustained climbs and we just don't have them here. They help a bit on our short steep climbs, but two or three revolutions in and you're at the top and suddenly be in 50T is a problem. I do all of my climbing in the 2nd or 3rd gear.

Yeah the pissing contest between shimano and Sram is ridiculous 52 was totally unnecessary

I upgraded to the new Sram AXS with the 10-52 a couple months ago and like it. I agree that it is overkill for most of what we ride around here but I was thankful to be able to noodle up some of the hills when I did the Rattler last month. I also like it on the super steep technical climbs. It is not for everyone, but it does have some value in certain situations.

• Like 2