IGNORED

What if the world moved back to 10-speed?

AustinBike

Bit the bullet and installed the complete Sram EX1 wide range 8spd on my 180mm high pivot. Tried it with just the cassette but discovered it uses 10spd cog spacing and couldnt get the mid cassette shifting right with my 11spd shifter.

The EX1 is a very, very simple but clever design that works really well with shifting on par with the older sram 11spd X1 systems I've owned.   it's also a way better layout than the Box Prime 9 that still uses a standard 9 speed spacing. The derailleur is lighter than my X01 eagle and cassette is as well. Didn't weigh the sifter but it's probably on par with a GX etc. The only caveat is it's a one click, one gear shift so no multiple cogs with one push. With only 8spds it's really not an issue. Its also a 11-48 so some might have to run a 30t up front for enough crawl or a 34t to make up for the 11t. My SX has a 34t round and is a 27.5 in the back so it isn't too bad to pedal back up to the top.

Gonna give this drivetrain a try on my druid once I get the current XTR dialed in over the next month or so.

Definitely worth considering the Sram 8spd if you're building frame up or upgrading and don't want to hassle with the 12spd nonsense.

My crap 2c

IMG_20211028_152226317.jpg

IMG_20211112_174833232.jpg

IMG_20211112_175025451.jpg

IMG_20211112_174839246.jpg

IMG_20211112_153750563.jpg

• Like 2

Got to test this sram 8spd over the weekend a bit. Can confirm it works great on regular non-E bikes and I experienced no mis shifts or any issues. I will also say it takes a bit to get used to the jumps from gear to gear and I spent some time searching for the sweet spot. I think a lot of that can be solved with a chainring swap, if I felt inclined to keep riding this bike on trails. 

Also, the one to one shifts were actually very easy to manage and added to a feeling of precision/responsiveness from the drivetrain.

Recommend

• Like 1