IGNORED

BSS now trek

Not surprising. Apple really accelerated this trend. One of the most interesting things to watch is whether this brings more or less competitive pricing for Trek bikes. If they do not want to compete with their other dealers they are going to have to watch for channel conflict, this is a tough one to balance.

9 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

Just got an email bicycle Sport Shop is being bought by Trek... I wonder how that is going to impact what they stock.

Well that explains quite a bit. I put in an order for a Trek Fuel EX 8 back in August, but of course everything is on backorder these days, not just bikes. Yesterday they called me to let me know it had come in (it's FANTASTIC!). When I picked up the bike yesterday afternoon, the employee said that more would be revealed in January about why they would have better access to Trek bikes going forward. He also mentioned that they were going to be dropping Specialized from their inventory. He couldn't say more at the time, and I didn't press.

Here's a pic of the new bike right before the inaugural ride on the SATN yesterday afternoon.

Trek_Fuel_EX_8.png

Edited by SCWells72
  • Like 6

It was interesting to me when I saw it. What other companies are making a move INTO brick and mortar? So now Trek has to work to become experts on all things NOT bicycle too? Corporate Trek meeting room, "Which one of you guys knows anything about power gel shots?" 

But, congratulations Hill. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barry said:

Presumably they're going to brand as Trek and only carry Trek, yes? I can't see this area supporting 4 of those stores though. But it's a damn fine time for someone to open a shop dedicated to Santa Cruz and Specialized (and EVIL while you're at it). 

^^^^ This ^^^^

1 hour ago, SCWells72 said:

Well that explains quite a bit. I put in an order for a Trek Fuel EX 8 back in August, but of course everything is on backorder these days, not just bikes. Yesterday they called me to let me know it had come in (it's FANTASTIC!). When I picked up the bike yesterday afternoon, the employee said that more would be revealed in January about why they would have better access to Trek bikes going forward. He also mentioned that they were going to be dropping Specialized from their inventory. He couldn't say more at the time, and I didn't press.

Here's a pic of the new bike right before the inaugural ride on the SATN yesterday afternoon.

Trek_Fuel_EX_8.png

ReFleKtoRz!

(rad bike!)

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

i've always liked BSS, And have had only good experiences with service at the Research branch. Have also rented from the downtown location, and that's a nice big store where Trek can clearly setup shop. wouldn't be suprised to see them sell off the other locations, but who knows. 

I wonder what will happen to the BSS team? any news Antonio?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

wouldn't be suprised to see them sell off the other locations, but who knows. 

I'd say keeping Research and Bee Cave would be unlikely. But W Parmer is large enough and north enough that a Trek south and a Trek north store could make sense.  

32 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

i've always liked BSS, And have had only good experiences with service at the Research branch. Have also rented from the downtown location, and that's a nice big store where Trek can clearly setup shop. wouldn't be suprised to see them sell off the other locations, but who knows.

Will be interesting to see what they do. I was thinking the larger stores are a lot of floor space for a single brand. Either way it's disappointing that the Research shop will be Trek only even if it stays open, I also really like that location.

25 minutes ago, Barry said:

I'd say keeping Research and Bee Cave would be unlikely. But W Parmer is large enough and north enough that a Trek south and a Trek north store could make sense.  

If BSS Research goes away, then I essentially will have no LBS.  Buck's Bikes, Music City Cycles, Hammerhead, and Nelo's are dead.   I will not drive up to Parmer location for a quick trip.  If I do I may as well hit Peddlers since they have been so influential in trail/feature building.  I used to do a group ride out of AJ's years ago.  Are they still around?

I already didn't like the limited selection of non-Bontrager/non-Specialized stuff.

For those that have been to Trek stores, do they carry Maxxis/Continental or other tire brands?

14 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

For those that have been to Trek stores, do they carry Maxxis/Continental or other tire brands?

I have to assume this is the site these stores will be added to? Should answer a lot of questions. I have owned trek in the past, not really planning a Trek in the foreseeable future though.

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

If BSS Research goes away, then I essentially will have no LBS.  Buck's Bikes, Music City Cycles, Hammerhead, and Nelo's are dead.   I will not drive up to Parmer location for a quick trip.  If I do I may as well hit Peddlers since they have been so influential in trail/feature building.  I used to do a group ride out of AJ's years ago.  Are they still around?

I already didn't like the limited selection of non-Bontrager/non-Specialized stuff.

AJ's closed their Parmer location earlier this year.  I'm not sure about the GT one.

Edit: looks like they are in liberty hill now

Edited by fontarin

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

If BSS Research goes away, then I essentially will have no LBS.

Seriously, we'll be left with nothing but REI. I've nothing against them but they're no LBS and that shows in the service dept. even more than on the showroom floor.

Not for bikes, but for gear Sun & Ski is pretty good. And I've heard good things about their mechanics as well. They all got really busy when Performance closed. 

And I really think by a couple of years post-Covid plenty of new shops will fill the vacuum. No way there isn't a shop in the Bike Barn and Research area indefinitely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

Not for bikes, but for gear Sun & Ski is pretty good. And I've heard good things about their mechanics as well. They all got really busy when Performance closed. 

And I really think by a couple of years post-Covid plenty of new shops will fill the vacuum. No way there isn't a shop in the Bike Barn and Research area indefinitely. 

Yeah Buck's bikes barn is actually a better location than BSS research IMO.

I had forgotten about Sun & Ski.  I go in there when they have sales or just after eating at Hop Doddy (that, and the camera shop as well as Dragon's Lair.)