IGNORED

BSS now trek

I have fond memories of that store.  Before we were married, John and I went to a night spin class there one winter  --  we'd push aside the wheeled racks of bike clothes to create space,  everyone brought and set up their own trainer, and the spin instructor was Ramsay Wall, who was racing road bikes at the time.  Awesome group.  One guy brought rollers and usually fell off about halfway through the class. After the big crash, he'd get back up, put his bike back on the rollers and just keep going.  Good times. 

I just googled Ramsay Wall.  I had no idea she was a doctoral student in English at UT at the time.  She's teaching dance fitness now. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, June Bug said:

The original BSS building is still there at 1426 Toomey Road.  Google street view shows it as gray now, with some broad green horizontal accents.  

I just can't remember if they ever had a very early presence on Jessie. 

In my experience, Hill is a fantastic guy.  What most people don't get is that he started BSS  before the cut-rate internet sales era, and just stayed steady, survived and thrived with great bikes and excellent customer service and many employees who have stayed on for years.  

Hill has been a wonderful advocate for mountain biking, served as president of IMBA and (IIRC) moved to DC for a year in that role. 

He's still a relatively young guy, so there will most likely be a 2nd act for him.  I wish he and his family the best.   

So...who will have the Specialized franchise in Austin now?  How this will affect Mellow Johnnie's Bike Shop, since they are TREK as well?  That said, MJ's does have the coffee shop.  At least pre-COVID it was always busy. 

I fully agree with everything you said.  But, it also helped tremendously that BSS carried Trek and Specialized during the time of their explosive growth.

-CJB

20 minutes ago, June Bug said:

So...who will have the Specialized franchise in Austin now?  How this will affect Mellow Johnnie's Bike Shop, since they are TREK as well?  

The DFW MJ's store opened in 2015. They never carried Trek presumably because there was a Trek store in DFW. Their website shows that they carry Specialized and Santa Cruz and not Trek. The Austin website doesn't show the same, but you can find a recent blurb on the website that Austin MJ's is now carrying Santa Cruz (I suppose along with ATX Bikes as mentioned above). I also thought I saw a social medial post about MJ's carrying Specialized, but I can find it at the moment. So presumably they're going to completely normalize with the DFW store. 

• Like 1

They are giving away $5k to a local cycling group, and choosing by vote of people who stop by one of their stores from Feb 6-21st. Even if your not a member of ARR I would encourage everyone on this forum to swing by and cast a vote for ARR as they do a ton to keep our local trails open! (Probably preaching to the choir here😁)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, June Bug said:

The original BSS building is still there at 1426 Toomey Road.  Google street view shows it as gray now, with some broad green horizontal accents.  

I just can't remember if they ever had a very early presence on Jessie. 

In my experience, Hill is a fantastic guy.  What most people don't get is that he started BSS  before the cut-rate internet sales era, and just stayed steady, survived and thrived with great bikes and excellent customer service and many employees who have stayed on for years.  

Hill has been a wonderful advocate for mountain biking, served as president of IMBA and (IIRC) moved to DC for a year in that role. 

He's still a relatively young guy, so there will most likely be a 2nd act for him.  I wish he and his family the best.   

So...who will have the Specialized franchise in Austin now?  How this will affect Mellow Johnnie's Bike Shop, since they are TREK as well?  That said, MJ's does have the coffee shop.  At least pre-COVID it was always busy. 

Hill did not start BSS....  Claire and Cody did..

the original shop was on Barton Springs..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CrownKing said:

Was in ATX Bikes yesterday, they are now going to be selling Santa Cruz.

I was just in there this morning. They were excited to say they got their first one in. They are now officially a Santa Cruz dealer! Better hurry if you're in the market for one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I was just in there this morning. They were excited to say they got their first one in. They are now officially a Santa Cruz dealer! Better hurry if you're in the market for one.

This was definitely a smart move on their part! With the popularity of MTB and the amount of people in the circle C area out riding, it looks like a no brainer. And also no offense to any giant owners here, but they haven't been putting out anything really exciting in a while. 

Hopefully that changes a bit with adding Remi Thirion to the DH team. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

More details if you have it?  I like this type of history.  I never got a chance to visit the Barton Springs location.

I don't have any 1st hand knowledge but I've understood the original BSS was housed in the little space below the Juice Joint type place on Barton Springs near the Valero (sorta across from Shady Grove'ish area).  I'm even less aware of specifics of who started it, but I thought that the original owners consisted of another couple (and I thought Hill too).

-CJB

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

More details if you have it?  I like this type of history.  I never got a chance to visit the Barton Springs location.

Not sure about details....but I got to know Claire and Cody through my MX friends.  So at one of the parties,  I got to meet the "new" guy...  Hill. 

He was as cool then as now.

Got my first Cooks from them in "84.

Seen Claire not too long ago and a "old MXers party"....   had a big crush on her for sure.  

Cody had a "salmon" colored Cooks..  man he could do a coaster wheelie in circles  !  Due could ride. 

we lost him a few years back.

I do remember riding with Hill on a white Stumpy...and me on a white Cooks...  when the was only the main trail on the green belt.

I hold Hill in high regards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

I actually rushed over there after I read this post, broke my rear triangle in half this week and am desperate for a bike.  Alas, it was a Medium and also spoken for.

Edited by CrownKing
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

They were in the building where Kava bar is. I remember they had both floors. I think the 1st floor was service and the 2nd was sales but it's been a long time so I could be wrong.

Around the same time they has a store on 183 near Anderson Mill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugh said:

Around the same time they has a store on 183 near Anderson Mill.

Correct.  This store was during my time.  I went there occasionally and had a riding friend who worked at that location.  

They also had a location down at Mopac and Wm Cannon in the side shopping center near Randall's.  I believe it may have been in the same spot where the Starbucks is currently.

Later,
CJB

22 hours ago, Motopail said:

when the was only the main trail on the green belt.

Back in my UT Days on my day off I would ride from 45th and Guadulupe, pick up the shoal creek trail to town lake, cross over ride the hiking trail use the Railroad Tunnel to get to Barton Springs then to the GB entrance.  Ride out to HOL.  On good days jump in a swimming hole to cool off and turn around.

Would swing by the Barton Springs BSS on way back fill up with water, then hit Delaware Subs on 38th and get home eat and recover.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Taco Man said:

Back in my UT Days on my day off I would ride from 45th and Guadulupe, pick up the shoal creek trail to town lake, cross over ride the hiking trail use the Railroad Tunnel to get to Barton Springs then to the GB entrance.  Ride out to HOL.  On good days jump in a swimming hole to cool off and turn around.

Would swing by the Barton Springs BSS on way back fill up with water, then hit Delaware Subs on 38th and get home eat and recover.  

Yeah, I ride from 45th and shoal creek to the hill of life and back regularly, that is pretty much my route.

6 hours ago, Taco Man said:

When were you there?  I was there 91-95.  Some of us would ride from Jester to West campus to pick up some more guys, then we'd ride to Bull Creek or the Green Belt.  I remember going to Emma Long but not how since I think only one of us had a car.  When I moved to S. Pleasant Valley, I'd ride my way to the townlake trail and to the greenbelt.  I rode to the BSS on Twomey when I needed something.