IGNORED

BSS now trek

Went to ozone. Literally had cash in my pocket. Told them I was there to buy a bike. The bonewipe talking to me kept bragging about his bike. Told me to pick it up. "Look how light it is." Kept going on and on about his bike. Told me "this is what you need to buy."

Never once asked me about my riding, my needs, what I wanted, where I rode, how experienced I was. Not one single question. But was thoroughly convinced that I need to buy this bike now.

I walked out. Drove down to BSS. Bought a bike that day. 

Because I literally had the money in my pocket.

I am sure there are many reasons that Ozone is out of business. They did good service (when Todd was there) but they clearly had some gaps in their process.

7 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, that was probably Freewheeling, they were awesome, but there was another shop within a couple blocks. Bought my first real MTB at FW back in the late 90's.

I'm thinking that had to be it.  Was it around the area where the Shell station is now?  Any idea of the name?

15 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

When were you there?  I was there 91-95.  Some of us would ride from Jester to West campus to pick up some more guys, then we'd ride to Bull Creek or the Green Belt.  I remember going to Emma Long but not how since I think only one of us had a car.  When I moved to S. Pleasant Valley, I'd ride my way to the townlake trail and to the greenbelt.  I rode to the BSS on Twomey when I needed something.

I would have been making that ride about 90-93.

On a bike that looked like this- bought that bike at some shop on S Lamar/ S 1st, no idea why I picked that shop but they were good people.  I rode that bike through college, my move to Dallas and for my early commutes from Allandale to Highland Mall.  When I moved out to Steiner I got started back into MTB shape on that bike before getting a Haro Hardtail from Sun and Ski.  The Mrs convinced me to give that bike to my nephew who either sold it for "beer" money or had it stolen.  Sucks that frame is just awesome looking- would love to have it back.

Used Freewheeling when I first lived on Campus to buy bike stuff- bought a campy hat from them that I still have around here somewhere.

DSCF9769.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm thinking that had to be it.  Was it around the area where the Shell station is now?  Any idea of the name?

There was also Euro-Sport Cycles. Very close by but across the street. Not finding much info about it.I remember around 1994 drooling over a Burgundy Gary Fisher Montare frameset that matched my Mustang GT. A year or so later turns out an acquaintance had bought it and was selling it, I ended up with it after all. I just brought it to Yellow Bike recently.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/locations/euro-sport-cycles-44864/

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

The one I bought my bike from was definitely on the North side of 24th street, and I remember it being smaller.

I bought my first Gary Fisher HiFi 29er at that shop in the same track as the Shell station.  The owner was a great guy but I can't remember his name off the top of my head.  At one point, it was cobranded with the bike shop on Anderson near Alamo (Discovery, maybe?).  I remember he also did home inspections and lived near my house and near Patterson Park.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GFisher said:

There was also Euro-Sport Cycles.

Fun fact...Nelo was the mechanic at Euro-Sport for many years.  When Euro-Sport closed, Nelo opened up his own shop in north Austin.

When I began visiting Austin around 95', I was a big GT Bicycles fan.  I have the tramp stamp to prove it!  But I would always seek out the GT dealers and hang out there.  Euro-Sport sold GT and that was my shop once I moved to Austin after college.  Freewhee ling was across the street and a very well known shop.  I frequented there a bit too.  Back then there was a big group roll-out from Freewheeling that headed down to the Austin Tuesday Nighter Bandit Road Race.  The whole thing was quite an event.

Later,
CJB

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Taco Man said:

I would have been making that ride about 90-93.

On a bike that looked like this- bought that bike at some shop on S Lamar/ S 1st, no idea why I picked that shop but they were good people.  I rode that bike through college, my move to Dallas and for my early commutes from Allandale to Highland Mall.  When I moved out to Steiner I got started back into MTB shape on that bike before getting a Haro Hardtail from Sun and Ski.  The Mrs convinced me to give that bike to my nephew who either sold it for "beer" money or had it stolen.  Sucks that frame is just awesome looking- would love to have it back.

Used Freewheeling when I first lived on Campus to buy bike stuff- bought a campy hat from them that I still have around here somewhere.

I rode something like this from Fall 92 until Fall 94:

image.thumb.png.a2ed87a23c5932a5d4ba5496753b8d98.png

After I started my engineering summer internships I was able to afford this except in black (but with the Mag21...wish I'd kept the original EMS fork).  I still have the Specialized Body Geometry saddle I used with it!

image.thumb.png.bd7df0d55da64d2a00c735cd6cc7f34d.png

1 hour ago, gdog-1992 said:

I bought my first Gary Fisher HiFi 29er at that shop in the same track as the Shell station.  The owner was a great guy but I can't remember his name off the top of my head.  At one point, it was cobranded with the bike shop on Anderson near Alamo (Discovery, maybe?).  I remember he also did home inspections and lived near my house and near Patterson Park.

Yes, I think it was Discovery at 702W 24th street.  4 bike shops within walking distance in West Campus.  How many were there at the same time?  I am pretty sure Ozone, Freewheeling, and Discovery were all there and may have visited them all when shopping for my bike.  I don't remember Euro-Sport though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

4 bike shops within walking distance in West Campus.  How many were there at the same time? 

Well to be fair, I think this was the hey-day of mountain biking.  The sport was simply exploding and there was probably enough business to go around.  After all MTB became and olympic sport in 1996.

-CJB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Yes, I think it was Discovery at 702W 24th street.  4 bike shops within walking distance in West Campus.  How many were there at the same time?  I am pretty sure Ozone, Freewheeling, and Discovery were all there and may have visited them all when shopping for my bike.  I don't remember Euro-Sport though.

Charlie was the owner's name, just came to me.  He briefly changed the name of the shop when he bought it away from Discovery before closing the shop for good eventually.  Most of his customers were UT students but he'd have a few MTBs in stock from time to time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CBaron said:

Back then there was a big group roll-out from Freewheeling that headed down to the Austin Tuesday Nighter Bandit Road Race.  The whole thing was quite an event.

Fun coming home too. Got your hammer on and then rolling home through all the old neighborhoods as daylight was running out. Cool days on hot summer nights. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Fun coming home too. Got your hammer on and then rolling home through all the old neighborhoods as daylight was running out. Cool days on hot summer nights. 

100%!! The Austin TnR was pretty much a sacred event in my circles.  I did it from 96-07' and probably did not miss a dozen during that time.  I live up North and in August we'd roll from the house, meet up with the Freewheeling group, go down and raced 4 laps of the A-group and then ride home.  I'd have over 70 miles, with 36 of that at race pace, by the time I got home.  Ahhhhh those were the days.

Later,
CJB

On 2/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, CBaron said:

Fun fact...Nelo was the mechanic at Euro-Sport for many years.  When Euro-Sport closed, Nelo opened up his own shop in north Austin.

When I began visiting Austin around 95', I was a big GT Bicycles fan.  I have the tramp stamp to prove it!  But I would always seek out the GT dealers and hang out there.  Euro-Sport sold GT and that was my shop once I moved to Austin after college.  Freewhee ling was across the street and a very well known shop.  I frequented there a bit too.  Back then there was a big group roll-out from Freewheeling that headed down to the Austin Tuesday Nighter Bandit Road Race.  The whole thing was quite an event.

Later,
CJB

Jeremiah was at Eurosport too.

I think he made the GASP shirts.

I'm still in touch with Jeremiah.

5 hours ago, Hugh said:

Jeremiah was at Eurosport too.

I think he made the GASP shirts.

I'm still in touch with Jeremiah.

Jeremiah wasn't the main guy, the owner/partner?  I seem to recall the owner sold/closed down the shop and moved up north somewhere.  I'm terrible with names...

-CJB

13 hours ago, CBaron said:

Jeremiah wasn't the main guy, the owner/partner?  I seem to recall the owner sold/closed down the shop and moved up north somewhere.  I'm terrible with names...

-CJB

No, I don't think Jeremiah was the main guy. He followed Nelo to Nelo's shop. I'm not sure if they were partners in that shop.

Eurosport closed in the early 2000s if not maybe late 90s.

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 1