IGNORED

BSS now trek

Around the same time they has a store on 183 near Anderson Mill.

Back before I lived here, like 94/95, that was the shop closest to my in-laws when we’d come to visit. Went to that location several times on visits. That was when they were changing that stretch of 183 from hwy to expressway. Got to be a nightmare to get to which is probably what killed that location. The whole area was different by 98 so never could remember exactly where it was.

Like many my first encounter with Hill was he and Laura dressed as the Clause’s on their tandem while awaiting the start of the Jingle Bell Ride from the Toomey location. Did it every year from 98 when we first moved here til they stopped. The last few dragging my kid in a trailer.

Jingle Bell, poker runs, kids bike rodeo, women’s ride clinics, as well as being title sponsor of TMBRA’s paydirt program for nearly 20 years and sponsoring sanctioned races in every form of cycling that came along. That’s a big hole in the community a corporate store just isn’t going to fill. That’s also the reason I tended to buy and service my bikes there. Most of my work for 30+ years has been for small local businesses and I try my best to give my money to people that put their time and money back into the community.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Hugh said:

No, I don't think Jeremiah was the main guy. He followed Nelo to Nelo's shop. I'm not sure if they were partners in that shop.

Eurosport closed in the early 2000s if not maybe late 90s.

Jeremiah and Nelo were partners when they were on Anderson. Jeremiah was a dick and the split didn't go well.

• 2 weeks later...

Shopped at the Parmer location for the first time time after the transition. I called ahead to find a 7 speed master link, they said they were out but had a SRAM chain for $16. Not too bad. I showed up after work and they sold out of the SRAM but they had a Shimano for $24. He priced matched the SRAM without me even asking because he remembered that I had called ahead. 

It was also the first time I had been in the store because when it was BSS they were doing business from the sidewalk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

Shopped at the Parmer location for the first time time after the transition. I called ahead to find a 7 speed master link, they said they were out but had a SRAM chain for $16. Not too bad. I showed up after work and they sold out of the SRAM but they had a Shimano for $24. He priced matched the SRAM without me even asking because he remembered that I had called ahead. 

It was also the first time I had been in the store because when it was BSS they were doing business from the sidewalk. 

I stop by yesterday to see if they were still allowing voting for the $10k they were giving to a local cycling organization, since most of the voting was during the winter stormzilla! They weren’t but still had some of the swag shirts they were giving away and I score one. I thought that was pretty cool. The store was just slightly different, but still had the same basic vibe. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4fun said:

I stop by yesterday to see if they were still allowing voting for the $10k they were giving to a local cycling organization, since most of the voting was during the winter stormzilla! They weren’t but still had some of the swag shirts they were giving away and I score one. I thought that was pretty cool. The store was just slightly different, but still had the same basic vibe. 

Free shirts. Always a crowd pleaser.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know which stores sell Specialized MTB tires in the north Austin area?  I've really liked my Specialized Eliminator Black Diamond 29*2.6 up front and wanted to get another one.  Or can someone suggest a similar Maxxis option?  Looking for strong sidewalls and lots of side knobbys.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

Anyone know which stores sell Specialized MTB tires in the north Austin area?  I've really liked my Specialized Eliminator Black Diamond 29*2.6 up front and wanted to get another one.  Or can someone suggest a similar Maxxis option?  Looking for strong sidewalls and lots of side knobbys.

Obviously not Trek Austin. Austin-area Specialized dealers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

Thanks!

The 183 store still had a small selection of leftover Specialized tires when I was there a couple weeks ago. I would call and ask what they have available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRIDER said:

Thanks!

Cycle Progression and Bike Farm carry Specialized bikes and accessories. I picked up a Specialized Ground Control at Bike Farm on Saturday. 

• Like 1

The Research store now has Trek signage. I'm kinda curious as to how long the Trek train can keep going. I'm also curious if they can sell enough bikes and parts along with service to keep the doors open.

I owned a Trek road bike years ago but wouldn't buy a Trek now. I think that their bikes are somewhat underwhelming especially for the price you pay getting a bike spec'd with house brand parts.

To each their own though I guess.

P.S. I also will never own a Specialized just because of their predatory business practices.

Edited by Chief
  • Like 1

I've heard too many Trek warranty delay horror stories over the last several years to even consider one. And that tracks too, since my Gary Fisher was Trek/Bontrager owned nearly 20 years ago...and I broke it 4 times, and each time it was about 7-12 week turn around. No thanks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I've heard too many Trek warranty delay horror stories over the last several years to even consider one. And that tracks too, since my Gary Fisher was Trek/Bontrager owned nearly 20 years ago...and I broke it 4 times, and each time it was about 7-12 week turn around. No thanks. 

The Trek stores' service department is no better.  Gave them another shot bc of change in management and ended up having a terrible experience.  Time to learn how to do everything myself I suppose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

The Trek stores' service department is no better.  Gave them another shot bc of change in management and ended up having a terrible experience.  Time to learn how to do everything myself I suppose.

Tell us more. Nothing much has changed inside the service area - most of the same mechanics, and most of them are good. What did you have an issue with?

10 hours ago, TAF said:

Tell us more. Nothing much has changed inside the service area - most of the same mechanics, and most of them are good. What did you have an issue with?

I can share an experience from the Parmer Location - but it's definitely not a complaint. I took my backup bike in just to have the brakes bled and pads changed. They told me to pay in advance and they scheduled me for a few days later, stating that I could keep riding the bike and just bring it in the day before my service appointment, which I thought was cool. When I brought the bike back though, the guy couldn't find my ticket in the computer. No big deal though, he just asked somebody else for help. I got a text early the next day saying the work order was complete, which was again very cool. I headed over there to pick up the bike, and the guy told me I owed $55. I told him there must be a mistake as I had paid for the parts and labor in advance. Turns out they put a much more expensive pad on than what I had told them to put on, since for my backup bike I really don't need anything more than cheap resin pads. They hemmed and hawed a bit, I suppose trying to get me to believe that I really needed the higher priced pads. Ultimately though they were either going to have to swap them out or eat the difference in price; so they just let me keep the nicer pads at no additional cost, which was the right thing to do.

The service itself, although something most of you probably do yourself, was done fine. All the other stuff I just write off to working the kinks out of a new system.  

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

I have a Fuel and a Procaliber.    The Fuel is a great all around bike for Austin terrain.  I'm sure there are better options,  but you can't go too wrong with the Fuel.  Having Trek dealers in Austin should make it easier to get frame parts if needed.   And I've broken several frame parts over the last few years and bss got it turned around within 2-3 weeks for me.

My biggest problem with the trek stores (and all the local stores for that matter) are the limited hours.   Now that I wfh and have child dropoff duties after work, I can't make it to the store by 6pm.  I have to go during my lunch break and peddler is much closer to my house.  

I used to stop by bss on the way home from work, but that doesn't work for me in the covid\wfh era.

My brother had a bike assembled by downtown Trek (long story on why) but there were a few rookie mistakes by a well seasoned professional.

Myself have been using the 183 store to get specialized parts.  BG Gloves failed and Bee Cave gave me a pretty hard time, I offered to buy a new pair on the spot so they could warranty that pair and they finally relented.

*Side note those gloves also failed and Im done with Specialized