IGNORED

BSS now trek

16 hours ago, Taco Man said:

My brother had a bike assembled by downtown Trek (long story on why) but there were a few rookie mistakes by a well seasoned professional.

Myself have been using the 183 store to get specialized parts.  BG Gloves failed and Bee Cave gave me a pretty hard time, I offered to buy a new pair on the spot so they could warranty that pair and they finally relented.

*Side note those gloves also failed and Im done with Specialized

You could start your own glove company but Specialized might try to sue you.

On 4/13/2021 at 5:16 PM, TAF said:

Tell us more. Nothing much has changed inside the service area - most of the same mechanics, and most of them are good. What did you have an issue with?

I typed the whole story out, but it felt icky throwing a shop under the bus on the internet.  Long story short: over promised, under delivered, no proactive communication, 6 weeks with no bike, which would've been 9 weeks with no bike had I not been calling weekly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

no proactive communication.

It's amazing how this one thing can make or break a relationship. I know things happen, and timelines can shift but...just let me know, don't make me go looking for updates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

You could start your own glove company but Specialized might try to sue you.

I didnt have to... after a recomendation I found these on Amazon and they are a remarkable copy of the BG gloves.  Finishing the self destruction of the BG ones before I use them but just a test ride I was pretty satisfied.  Best part is these are 1/3 the price.

FIRELION Cycling Gloves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

no proactive communication,

this. when I was a bike shop tech, I took meticulous notes on all bikes in the service department. I checked them every day, which was not a difficult task. if a bike was waiting for authorization for work, I'd call the customer every few days if they didn't pick up the first time. if the bike was sitting for more than a week while waiting on parts, I'd call once a week to let them know we didn't forget about them. if the bike was finished and needed to be picked up, I'd call once a week, partially because bikes in "storage" with new parts and labor sunk into them don't make any money for the shop! most shops threaten customers who leave their bikes with "storage fees" but I have never seen those enforced. in extreme cases, the shop would just claim ownership of the bike (there are specific legal precedents for this that also apply to "abandoned" vehicles, computers, lawn equipment, etc. left at repair services) and a shop employee would buy the bike from the shop for the cost of the parts installed. I did this more than once.

I would leave the date and my initials in the computer or on the paper work order with notes about each interaction, "left voice message" "spoke with customer" or details about what we needed to do. A few times, a customer would call three – six months after we finished their bike was already finished asking if it was done. I the most polite way possible, I would tell them that I've left multiple messages on their voicemail. (this was a few years ago and text/email notifications probably work better now.) sometimes I called a home phone and spoke with a child or spouse who didn't relay the message, but I covered the shop's ass with my notes. if they didn't believe me, I'd rattle off the dates. there's no excuse for leaving someone hanging for weeks on end.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Adding another data point on the "new" Trek store(s).

My helmet is getting long in the tooth and with my friend visiting this past week for a ride I thought it was a good excuse to purchase a new helmet. My current TLD A-1 has been a fantastic helmet for me, the fit is just right for my head and it's worn very well over 7 years. I tired other "top" brands that gave me a headache while I was still in the store, not a dig on them, just not for me; I'm a big believer in a good fit more than brand. Anyways, of course I procrastinate until this past Sunday afternoon and only the Trek stores are open. I walk in and they are friendly and ask what if I need any help. I volunteer that I'm looking for a new MTB helmet and they show me what they have. Unfortunately, they only carry one brand (Bontrager) and it doesn't fit my head. Nice Helmets still, cool features and their own proprietary MIPS competitor. In the end I wasn't interested in paying $150 for something that didn't fit right and I told the sales rep. On my way out he stop me and dug out a $20 voucher for my next visit. 

Overall, good service but I'm disappointed that because they are a corporate store they only have one brand of goods. Nothing specific about Bontrager, I've had good experiences in the past but I'd like choices. 

• Like 1

Similar experience to you. Last week I was on my road bike and got a nasty, tire ending sidewall cut. I was only a little over a mile from the 183 Trek store so I decided to walk over there and not bug my wife to come save me during rush hour traffic. Walked in and asked for a new tire. The sales guy walked me through my options and recommended a model that would match the performance of my old tire. The rub was that they were all bontrager tires. Not a brand I would have purchased on my own accord but it was that or not continue my ride. They had a bike stand and tools set up for customers to use which made installing the new tire a breeze. They even offered to top up my water bottle. Overall, I had a very positive experience but yeah, would have greatly preferred more than just one tire brand choice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stopped by the TREK store on Guadalupe to use a tire pump and realized that a wall has been built across the small space at the north end of the old BSS store.  Now it's just the service counter; helmets and a few accessories are along the other wall.  It has it's own new entrance and it's just a place to drop off a bike for repairs, not a showroom. 

Not sure what's happening with the portion of the old store next to the sub shop. 

Edited by June Bug

12 hours ago, June Bug said:

Stopped by the TREK store on Guadalupe to use a tire pump and realized that a wall has been built across the small space at the north end of the old BSS store.  Now it's just the service counter; helmets and a few accessories are along the other wall.  It has it's own new entrance and it's just a place to drop off a bike for repairs, not a showroom. 

Not sure what's happening with the portion of the old store next to the sub shop. 

It's been that way for the last couple of years - sales at that location were always poor, so Hill walled it off and was looking to sub-lease it. I imagine Trek's deeper pockets are paying the full rent at this point.