IGNORED

Stores you miss that don't exist anymore.

TheX

Supergo was the shit! At the end of the year they used to buy all the remaining Specialized stock and blow it out the door. Pickup up a 1999 SWorks hardtail for $1099 or so (retail was like $2350 - dealer cost was like $1600) and a 2000 SWorks road bike for $1950 (retail $3250), each one came with a swag bundle too (like a cycle computer, camelback, etc) only catch was you had to have someone physically pay in the store , then they could ship it. Had a connection each time that I floated some cash for their time. 

For the hardtail I literally was about to fly into LAX, spend the weekend in Santa Monica (and visit that store) then fly home and still save a few hundy less than I could get it locally, but a buddy was about to head to San Diego for an ailing relative so he hooked me up.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Barry said:

And I didn't hate Performance. It was pretty good for nutrition, clothes and consumables like lube and chains. 

Totally. It sucked when they opened stores here and had to start charging tax though, their advantage pretty much went away.

I also want to say they could sell Shimano stuff cheaper than what an LBS had to pay at one point, but my memory may be slightly off.

Edited by GFisher

18 minutes ago, Barry said:

I miss SuperGo online. I never lived close to an actual store. And I didn't hate Performance. It was pretty good for nutrition, clothes and consumables like lube and chains. 

I liked Performance here, it was the change from SuperGo to Performance that was less than awesome. The SuperGo stores were HUGE, and amazing.

Not bike related but there was a neighborhood Ace Hardware store super close by that was awesome for quick things in the middle of a project. Of course the big L and HDepot came along and their days were numbered. Now getting 2 bolts or a paintbrush takes an hour+.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GFisher said:

Not bike related but there was a neighborhood Ace Hardware store super close by that was awesome for quick things in the middle of a project. Of course the big L and HDepot came along and their days were numbered. Now getting 2 bolts or a paintbrush takes an hour+.

Our Ace Hardware store?  It had some stuff you couldn't get at HD or L but man, when I went in there it sure felt like I was fucking up their vibe.

5 hours ago, GFisher said:

Not bike related but there was a neighborhood Ace Hardware store super close by that was awesome for quick things in the middle of a project. 

Breed & Co. is an Ace Hardware store at 718 W. 29th, a few blocks south of Guadalupe.  

Go in the door and turn left, you're in serious red vest territory; they know stuff.   

Turn right, and you're in foo foo gifts, garden and high end kitchen wares and china. 

There's a 2nd store in Westlake, but I doubt that their hardware fu is as strong as the 29th St. store. 

I miss Performance on Anderson.   On a hot day on my commute home, I could refill my water bottle,  get some snacks, stock up on electrolyte drink mix and just be in AC for a few minutes before heading back out into the inferno.  For awhile the manager was bringing in his older lab puppy, an incredibly sweet and friendly dog, so free doggo therapy.  

Also, $1.99 chicken fried steak plate at the Stallion Drive In on Airport. RIP. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 4:05 PM, Barry said:

Looks like SuperGo is back as a website. And SuperGo, Performance and Nashbar are all owned by the same company. 

Yeah and there prices are all the same too. I miss getting closeout prices from nashbar. I got a dura-ace equipped carbon tri bike from nashbar for $1200 in 2012. And got my wife's closeout diamond back clutch (performance spec's) for $1100 just before the buyout and it has better parts than the one there selling for $2500 now.

Since this expanded somewhat to restaurants, then damn I miss Opal Divine's Marina off N Mopac. I was by far our favorite 2-3 time a month stumble distance whisky bar. Jack & Ginger's and Brass Tap are okay at best as whisky bars. And Moonshine isn't stumble distance. I'm hoping the stadium encourages more restaurants soon.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

Since this expanded somewhat to restaurants, then damn I miss Opal Divine's Marina off N Mopac. I was by far our favorite 2-3 time a month stumble distance whisky bar. Jack & Ginger's and Brass Tap are okay at best as whisky bars. And Moonshine isn't stumble distance. I'm hoping the stadium encourages more restaurants soon.  

Opal's was one of my favorite lunch stops. Nothing else close by is the same.

Nelo's and Music City. I don't think there was a better wrench in town than Dave @ Music City.

Bobby at Nelo's was a close 2nd.

There was reference to SuperGo. I only remember them as a catalog store (those paper things you used to get in the mail).

• Like 1