IGNORED

Stores you miss that don't exist anymore.

TheX

5 hours ago, Hugh said:

Nelo's and Music City. I don't think there was a better wrench in town than Dave @ Music City.

Bobby at Nelo's was a close 2nd.

There was reference to SuperGo. I only remember them as a catalog store (those paper things you used to get in the mail).

Bobby built up 2 road bikes for me.  Fantastic Mechanic, probably the best I have ever seen.  As they say the devil is in the details, and he got them perfect. 

Not sure what happened to him, had Bobby’s Bikes for a while.....then disappeared.

9 hours ago, June Bug said:

Yes, Dave Hartley.  He did a bike fit for me, recommended a comfy saddle, Mr. JB and I really liked that shop. Dave is an engineer by training and knew his stuff.  

Dave did a bike fit for me too. He helped me finally get my saddle position right.

Edited by Chief
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

Not sure what happened to him, had Bobby’s Bikes for a while.....then disappeared.

Bobby ran into some dependency issues. Not sure what happened to him. I know Nelo was trying to help him but I don't think it worked out that great.

Nelo still wrenches, he went mobile. His website is still up for the mobile business.

Brendan Sharpe who was at Nelo's was a good wrench too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

Oh........Club de Ville.........countless brain cells lost at that place.

good call!

I would start South By every year - since something like 1998 - by walking to Club de Ville from LJs to see the first show of the event at 8 pm. It never disappointed. I particularly remember an appalling Scottish band called ‘Selfish C**t’. Always a great kick off!

On 12/21/2020 at 7:22 PM, Shanerpvt said:

Bobby built up 2 road bikes for me.  Fantastic Mechanic, probably the best I have ever seen.  As they say the devil is in the details, and he got them perfect. 

Bobby moved back to AZ to be closer to family as he had some personal issues as mentioned above.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hugh said:

Was Bitter End the first brew pub in Austin?  I was trying to remember the name of this place recently 

I believe so, maybe even Texas from what I gather. The adjoining B Side was a good spot too (both on the swankier end) but great for their time back in the 90's. There was a fire at one point and that was the bitter end so to speak. 

Recognized now as the oldest brewpub in Texas, The Bitter End is one of the Warehouse District's anchors. It has a reputation not only for producing good beers but also for experimentation, often brewing once-only batches or beers only for special events. Style guidelines are also stretched a bit, like their recent Noble Weiss.

Paradise Cafe was a good one.  Every now and then the Arch Angeles song about that place comes up on random play......it is like a time machine.  I liked to do that place on HH early in the week when it was pretty dead.  A buddy of mine & I would always order a martini & bass ale each to start.......that will take the edge off.......

RE Bitter End: speaking of brew pubs, I think I still have a pint glass from Copper Tank in my cabinet.  I was never a huge copper tank fan but ended up with a pint glass somehow....

@taco_junkie:  I met Mrs. ShanerPVT at Jamies.  I’m not sure she liked me so much at first, but I wore her down 😂😂😂....

• Like 1

Probably my most painful COVID loss (so far anyway) is Cap City Comedy. You get on the mailing list and get free tickets (usually Wed or Thur). We would go a few times a month, almost every week in winter. Have a couple ABW cans and maybe some chips and salsa and be home by 10. I will miss that place,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugh said:

Was Bitter End the first brew pub in Austin?  I was trying to remember the name of this place recently 

I've a feeling that both Copper Tank and Lovejoy's were brewing prior to the Bitter End, although the Bitter End was by far better beer. Also, the Draught House has been brewing since at least the 80s, and NXNW was an early starter too.

Edited by TAF
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Yeah, NXNW was a family favorite for Sundays.  So we already miss that.

How about Las Manitas/Congress Ave. cafe?  Not the best food but so Austin and all kinds of people in the same place sharing a meal.

I loved their Pozole!  When I think of Las Manila’s, I think of Pozole & a bowl of fresh fruit.

The atmosphere was the best.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TAF said:

I've a feeling that both Copper Tank and Lovejoy's were brewing prior to the Bitter End, although the Bitter End was by far better beer. Also, the Draught House has been brewing since at least the 80s, and NXNW was an early starter too.

Waterloo downtown (4th & Guadalupe?) was also brewing around that time but I can't remember who was 1st.  Too many Wednesday nights at Copper Tank for $1 beers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gdog-1992 said:

Waterloo downtown (4th & Guadalupe?) was also brewing around that time but I can't remember who was 1st.  Too many Wednesday nights at Copper Tank for $1 beers.

That was Billy Forrester's place, and he is to be found daily at his (and my) neighborhood beer joint, Billy's on Burnet. Next time I see him, I'll ask him who was first!

I was at Waterloo the night it closed - we drank everything

• Like 1

Bitter End was before NXNW by several years. Was close to my office and we’d go almost every Friday for their chicken fried chicken lunch special and a pint. Was pissed when the owner turned it into a parking lot.

I laughed my ass off the first time I went into Copper Tank and saw they sold Bud in a can. Don’t think I’ve been in it twice since in nearly 20 years.

One of my old bosses downtown used to call Las Manitas the revolutionary cafe from all the politicos that used to hang out and bend the sisters ears. Loved that you could hop up to the bar and be in/out in 20 min. Great when I was on deadline and it was right across the street. Probably one of the last decent inexpensive places to eat downtown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Totally. It sucked when they opened stores here and had to start charging tax though, their advantage pretty much went away.
I also want to say they could sell Shimano stuff cheaper than what an LBS had to pay at one point, but my memory may be slightly off.

On Tuesday or Wednesday at lunch they had a 10% Mechanic’s special so you got stuff for just a shade lower than the website and it covered the sales tax. Used to snag all my consumables that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celis Brewery, Austin’s first brewery in nearly a century, brewed their first batch of beer on March 19, 1992 and became the fastest-growing microbrewery in the U.S. by 1995. The brewpub scene erupted in Austin with HB 1425 passing in September 1993. This allowed bars and restaurants to brew/sell beer on site. Billy Forrester, instrumental in the passing of the law, opened Texas’ first brewpub, Waterloo Brewing, in December of 1993. Soon after, you could also visit The Bitter End Bistro and Brewery, along with Copper Tank Brewing Co, which both won an array of medals at the Great American Beer Festival. In addition, Lovejoys Tap Room and Brewery joined the brewpub scene, becoming a long lasting local favorite, only closing it’s doors because of the rising rent at its Sixth Street location. Live Oak Brewing Company opened in 1997 by two homebrewers and continues to be a staple in the Austin beer scene. Each played an integral part in what we come to love about the Austin beer scene…..trailblazing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1