IGNORED

BLORA and Miller Springs - Belton Lake Trail Conditions

GFisher

Went out to the Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area last Friday. I hadn't been in probably 20 years. called ahead to make sure they were open. The parking area was really well maintained. The trails didn't look like they had been ridden in months. Way more cow and deer tracks than tire tracks. Was still marked well and fairly clear, but a fair amount of small branches down (and a couple big ones) had to stop twice to pull little sticks out of the rear D. It wasn't really enjoyable. They want you to call the office when you leave so they know if anyone is still out there (which is cool), I asked if maybe it had been closed for hunting for a couple months or something and the lady said no, it is just that not many people had riding since COVID. Seems like the exact opposite of every other trail. Maybe it is just too far under the radar (not on MTB Project and little info on Trailforks). Bailed after doing the intermediate loop, I could see the 'expert' stuff was in even rougher shape as I passed it a few times). I started on the green loop but lost the trail in some spots so bailed on that too. Went over to the Miller Springs area, there is some tight, steep fun stuff on the hillside as you come in off FM439 (not mapped) . Overall very flat and smooth, would be good for a beginner, cross bike or if you just happen to be in the area. The gate getting back there next to the spillway seems designed to keep bikes out, but bikes are allowed. With some effort you can finagle your bike through the slats. Went to the Nature Center on the north side first but it looks like some of the trails are hiking only so I went to the southern trailhead. Some pretty cool cliffs and caves back by the spring and historic bridge. I enjoyed it much more than BLORA but it was still only about a 4 out of 10, would have gone to Dana Peak but time was running short. Good brewery in downtown Belton - Bold Republic Brewing - for a good pint and decent pizza before heading home. The brewery and short ride at Miller Springs helped save the day as BLORA was a bust in my mind. I'd recommend getting some recent trail conditions before heading out.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7048275/miller-springs-nature-center-tennessee-valley-tour

Edited by GFisher

25 minutes ago, Barry said:

Thanks for this. I have removed both of those from my "Places left to ride in TX" list. 

I'm not sure I will totally write off BLORA, I will just try to get some recent beta and make sure it is good shape. Worst case I'd bail to Dana Peak (which exceeded my expectations).

• 1 year later...