IGNORED

Rank in difficulty austin area trails/segments

11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Do you ride up the steps or do you have to walk those?  

That depends. My fastest single lap was my 2:15ish effort in 2019. I was trying to pin the whole thing and I distinctly recall not cleaning bits that I had cleaned previously. But on that lap I ran anything I didn't clean. I didn't intentionally push anything on that lap.

But I did intentionally push sections on my 3 formal DragonSlayer rides. But then funny enough, I didn't intentionally push anything during my 4 lapper last November! 

I can and have cleaned every feature out there except for the stair steps (going CW) immediately after Crockett Garden Falls. 

I think the moral is that if you're looking to do one lap as fast as possible then you don't intentionally push. If you're looking to do multiple laps as fast as possible, you better push to conserve energy. But if you're looking to do multiple laps outside of competition then you can take it easier...confusingly meaning you don't have to intentionally push. 

I can't tell if that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I can and have cleaned every feature out there except for the stair steps (going CW) immediately after Crockett Garden Falls. 

Geeze. While going down those steps isn't really too much of a challenge in a technical sense, I always get off my bike and walk down simply because of the rebar sticking out of the logs. Growing up dirt biking, I saw a guy get his leg impaled by rebar out on a trail and that really put the fear in me of pointy metal objects. While I don't think I could clean the steps going up, I don't even try for the same reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

Geeze. While going down those steps isn't really too much of a challenge in a technical sense, I always get off my bike and walk down simply because of the rebar sticking out of the logs. Growing up dirt biking, I saw a guy get his leg impaled by rebar out on a trail and that really put the fear in me of pointy metal objects. While I don't think I could clean the steps going up, I don't even try for the same reason. 

My welding shop would give you ptsd then. This Barry guy is insane tho. 4 laps? how believable is that even?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bamwa said:

My welding shop would give you ptsd then. This Barry guy is insane tho. 4 laps? how believable is that even?

I’ll make sure not to ride my bike there. Thanks for the warning!

Yeah, this Barry guy is a total Fred. Dude only rode a measly 7K miles this year. 🥱

• Thanks 1

I’ve found that wind direction and speed are the single biggest factor in my lap times at Lake Georgetown. This is all due to that double track after Tejas and the dam. A good tailwind will shave serious time off the double track.

Oh yeah, Happy New Year’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 12/31/2020 at 12:51 PM, AntonioGG said:

Interesting.  My best time is around 3 hours but I've never tried to do 1 fast lap.  I don't think  could do a 2:30 but I should be able to go under 3hrs.  My last 3 hour lap felt easier than my 3:30 - 4 hr laps.   I imagine for 2:30 you're at maximal effort everywhere:  chunk/technical and the flat stuff.  For me the difference between a 3:30 and a 3hr lap is maximal effort everywhere vs taking it easy on the flats.  I attack the chunk because it's more fun but also it's definitely easier.  Do you ride up the steps or do you have to walk those?  I'm just trying to get an idea of what it takes to go as fast as you.  I suppose I could do segment compare in Strava to see if it's overall speed or if there are sections where you gain a lot of time.  I geek out on this stuff as a way to improve my riding.

I think to get down to the really fast lap times at LGT you have to be on the gas everywhere.  But IMHO the places where you can make up the most time, are the places you're normalyl the slowest (for any significant periods of time).  Since LGT is 2/3rd chunk, then I think these areas are the key to going deeper into the 2hr numbers.  This would also match well with Barry's strengths, bike choice and riding style.  Anecdotally, I feel its the same reason that SS'rs have had some of the faster times out there....they have to carry speed (through the chunk).  And if you want to break it down further then I think the South Side of the lake has the biggest chunk and room for time savings.  Almost anyone can go fast on the flats, but miles and miles of cheesgrater will separate everyone.  +1 though for the wind comment above.  If one was going for a PR or KOM, then it would HAVE to be scheduled around the wind.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

Of all the chunk and trail on goodwater loop the worst part for me, in more ways than one, is the final road climb to cedar breaks after dam...very anticlimactic and I despise long gradual road climbs

Edit: im not a road biker so not sure if that even fits into category of long gradual road climb but it felt like one...

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Of all the chunk and trail on goodwater loop the worst part for me, in more ways than one, is the final road climb to cedar breaks after dam...very anticlimactic and I despise long gradual road climbs

Edit: im not a road biker so not sure if that even fits into category of long gradual road climb but it felt like one...

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

You can avoid that road now and take some single track up on that ridge. Not sure it’s sanctioned but it’s cool.

• Like 1

Driven by my own nostalgia after reading this thread (and also by all that rain), I went out to CP over the weekend for the first time in what seems like forever.  I first rode CP in the 90s as a college student and went out there regularly until about 7 or 8 years ago, when increasing family obligations and convenience/goodness of Brushy Creek trails started to keep me from venturing out of Cedar Park for my rides.  CP was great fun, but the climbs seemed more challenging than ever.  Sadly, I don't see myself cleaning the Cheesecake Challenge again anytime soon.  Thumper and BCGB back trails are next up on my personal reunion tour, and I suspect I will feel even worse about myself as a rider after that. 

To respond to the original poster's question, for typical Central Texas style trail riding, I would put Thumper, CP, and BCGB back trails in the most difficult category and most everything else, including Double Down, at a notch or two below them.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, loop_out said:

I went out to CP over the weekend for the first time in what seems like forever. 

Ditto. Went out on Sun for the first time in well over a year and it was a humbling experience. Only my second time ever riding clockwise. I can see getting a lot better by riding it frequently and learning good line choices, but even then I don't see myself ever cleaning a few of those really techy climbs. Seems once the frustration got the best of me, even the little stuff was tripping me up. Normally the first lap is a wake-up call for a much better executed second lap. This time out though when my buddies bailed after the first lap, I lacked the motivation to go it alone for a second time around. I'm going to make it a point to get out there for several more rides before summer. So much fun bombing down all of the ledges out there!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

Oh shit....It's' on now!

I'm probably missing something here.  DD is my favorite segment of my favorite trail system around here, but is there really any controversy with the idea that those other trails are notably more difficult?  DD has some really cool and rewarding features, but they can generally be overcome by executing one or two maneuvers at a time.  To me, the difference with the other trails is that the features are such that you have to string together many maneuvers in a very short time period to get through them.  As an example, EBD is a relatively straight forward obstacle once you figure out the required momentum and timing.  However, if there were an obstacle or two just in front of EBD to affect either of those elements, the challenge would be very different. 

I guess all of this stuff is neither here nor there anyway, and the important thing is that we have so many interesting trails to choose from.  Still, it's a fun topic, and for whatever reason, I think many of us just like the idea that we might be riding the toughest trail out there. 

• Like 2

I thought that was too easy but made me laugh and knew someone would go there

The name of that trail may be “indirectly” my greatest contribution to the Austin mtb scene. Who knew the s-storm that Dewayne and my comments would create would forever be memorialized as a trail name. I’m so proud, even though Dewayne gets the credit for the initial opinion that started the debate. “Classic” mojo!

• Like 1

Speaking of names. Who is Mark, of Walnut's "Mark's Art" fame? 

Did Mark put that part of the trail together, and it's considered art?

Was Mark an artist, and the trail is a tribute to his art?

Maybe someone was at a loss for a name, and that's what they came up with.

• Like 1

The name of that trail may be “indirectly” my greatest contribution to the Austin mtb scene. Who knew the s-storm that Dewayne and my comments would create would forever be memorialized as a trail name. I’m so proud, even though Dewayne gets the credit for the initial opinion that started the debate. “Classic” mojo!

We all gotta leave our mark in this world. This is yours. Swim in the glory

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

Be thankful. Nando is responsible for "Nando's Elbow" and I am responsible for "Shin Bone." There is a typical path for segment/feature naming that is generally not preferred.

8 hours ago, TheX said:

Speaking of names. Who is Mark, of Walnut's "Mark's Art" fame? 

Did Mark put that part of the trail together, and it's considered art?

Was Mark an artist, and the trail is a tribute to his art?

Maybe someone was at a loss for a name, and that's what they came up with.

Mark Henneke was responsible for working with the city, designing, and building much of Walnut Creek. He’s an amazing guy, and 20 years ago had thousands of hours of trail work under his belt. If you ride up there you’re enjoying his vision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

Mark Henneke was responsible for working with the city, designing, and building much of Walnut Creek. He’s an amazing guy, and 20 years ago had thousands of hours of trail work under his belt. If you ride up there you’re enjoying his vision.

Thank you, I have wondered about that for years.