IGNORED

Rank in difficulty austin area trails/segments

50 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

Can you pinpoint where this un-rideable trail is?  I've been riding the Bull Creek greenbelt and surrounding trails since 1992 and would love to see some new-to-me trail!

I'm thinking of the main trail right next to the creek where I have hiked 5-7 miles. It's basically a vertical wall next to the creek with a ledge wide enough for your toes. You need to use your hands or you'll fall off. The stuff up the hill that I tried to ride is obvious to find but as I remember it, it's at a 45° angle straight up the hill, off-camber, and is interrupted by a fence just when it starts to become rideable. I'm talking about the obvious stuff on the east bank, on the hillside. I searched a dozen times and never found anything that was not already difficult to Spiderman climb without my bike in tow. It's not secret trail, it's part of the park. If you happen to be Danny McCaskill, I'm sure it's "rideable," but I never found anything that allowed me to stay upright on the bike for long enough to make it worth bringing my bike there again. If you know of anything worth riding there, it's probably best that the location be left private.

Edited by mack_turtle

Thx for the info on those trails. I see that this whole thing can be stickier (stinkier?) than I realized.

I feel totally dumb- of course Forest Ridge is gonna be out for bikes, duh! We wouldn't wanna disturb them Warblers. And River Place- too many steps anyway, who wants to ride their bikes on a natural stairmaster. Anywya, thx for the gracious replies. 🙂

someday I plan to run for city council and work to get forest ridge opened up. The city at one point mandated that forest ridge be opened up to recreation and the employees in charge stonewalled until there was a new mayor and new city council. "deep state" as it were. The people in charge are birdwatchers and highly favor the interest of birdwatchers.

• Like 1

Based on how in bed the city is with developers, be careful of what you wish for. The minute the ban is lifted it will be subdivided and plowed. You'll go from complaining about birds to complain about suburban homes or office buildings. The probability that Forest Ridge ever becomes a bike trail is nil at this point in my mind. Developers are a bigger challenge than birds to me because once you plow, its gone for good.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, crazyt said:

someday I plan to run for city council and work to get forest ridge opened up. The city at one point mandated that forest ridge be opened up to recreation and the employees in charge stonewalled until there was a new mayor and new city council. "deep state" as it were. The people in charge are birdwatchers and highly favor the interest of birdwatchers.

That whole area has/had the best potential for kickass mtb trails in Austin IMO. We actually used to ride our enduro dirtbikes back there in the early 90's. I doubt mtbr's will ever get access to it again but the city will prolly decide to cut a road thru it for access to the other side.

16 hours ago, GFisher said:

Please use pms. The vast majority of that is private property and/or unauthorized. And you can't ride far without crossing multiple property lines so no one person or entity has any real say. Treat it like you want it to be there in a year or 5 and maybe it will be. 

He stated Bull creek, which is legal trail...nothing that needs a private message.  If he is referring to off the map stuff, then his reply should be a PM.

On 1/12/2021 at 6:53 AM, crazyt said:

Remember the section of City Park that was supposed to reopen in 2009?

• Haha 1

I think Kent would know the full story. As I recall, someone was cutting a downhill section that was neither sanctioned nor sustainable. That action to close it was the compromise to prevent further scrutiny. I would guess that a.) nobody really knows who to contact that could approve taking it down and b.) even if it were down you can't ride/cut there so it does not matter.

I think the sign works as a reminder not to ride anywhere except the approved trail and not to cut anything. But I think the sign is also BS because it implies that we should now be allowed to  somehow ride there now that a particular date has passed. In reality that line was not ever sanctioned (at least as I was aware) so removal of the sign should change nothing.

I could be wrong, maybe someone involved in the issue can chime in.