IGNORED

trail bike tool setup

mack_turtle

What's working for you? I avoid carrying a backpack as much as possible, so strapping tools to my bike has been useful—but challenging sometimes.

• Lezyne Alloy Drive pump strapped to the seat tube using a TwoFish bike block
  • spare tube, tire lever, bacons, a few inches of Gorilla tape, plug tool—strapped under saddle using a Granite Rockband (fancy velcro strap). I need the item smooshed into a cotton sack to protect the tube from grit and sunlight.

The trick now is carrying a multi-tool that fits comfortably in a pants pocket or can be strapped to the bike somehow. are you using something like this?

I am thinking about buying myself a little something. I have a basic Topeak folding tool that's kind of bulky and I want something that's easier to carry. a few candidates:

Lezyne Storage Drive t-handle with bits stored inside. straps to the bike.

Fix It Sticks this brand makes a ton of options. I like the idea of the pouch for carrying in a pocket and/or the plastic mount on the bike. 

UNICHE stepless ratchet tool looks very handy and well thought-out, but might be bulkier than heavier than what I want

Granite Stache I think I like this better than the OneUp EDC tool, but it's a similar design that fits in your steerer tube. I bit more expensive than the others but that in-bike storage might be worth it.

Anything else you like?

Edited by mack_turtle

Mines pretty simple:

• Pedro's Micro Levers
    • Just picked these up for Christmas (I stuff my own stocking sometimes) 
    • I like them because they have some extra functionality and storage. 
  • Topeak Mini Morph Pump
    • Compact and easy to use, especially with higher volume tires
  • Topeak HEXUS II Multi Tool
    • My first real bike specific muliti tool and I've found it to be pretty great
  • Gerber Dime
    • I like this because it has some mini pliars that have come in handy

I would love an in Stem storage like the OneUp EDC or the one above, but can't bring myself to pay for it, even though I think it's a reasonable price for what it is. 

• Like 1

Tube, four allen wrenches, multi tool, three CO2s (two 16s, one 25) with dispenser, and tire levers, are all in a water bottle in the frame rack. I put hook holes in the bottle so a small bungee keeps it secure in the rack at all times. Weighs 27 ounces total. 

Hydration pack has a folding saw, a couple of energy bars, a preloaded bacon plug tool (in an easy to get to strap compartment) a small towel (to clean reading glasses and for first aid),  a couple of bandages, and a small roll of trail flagging tape (to mark hazards). 

I altered an under saddle bag to clip to my hydration pack's shoulder strap. It's just big enough to carry my phone in. Much more accessible to take pictures and answer (if I want to. Don't call me when I'm on a ride!) than when it was in my hydration pack.

I have a Mt Zefal mini pump that uses the water cage screws to hold it.  The pump snaps in and then a velcro strap secures it.  On my gravel bike  have a Topeak frame pump and everything including 2 spare tubes fit in my saddle bag.

For tools, I put my Lezyne multi-tool in my jersey pocket on my MTB (also avoid a pack unless I'm going for 3+ hours).  One CO2 cartridge with one Pedro's tire lever and a tube get strapped to the frame with a Backcountry Research top tube mount.  In a medicine bottle I have some bacon strips, chain link, Tyvek pieces (tire boots), small CO2 valve, spare stem, cleat bold, and maybe a couple of other things.  This goes in my jersey back pocket.

If I didn't have the dropper post in place I'd be using a saddle bag and everything would go in there.

3 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

does that tool have a sleeve of some sort to hold it all together? I wish I could just toss mine in a pocket by itself, but I don't want to fall and end up with a 6mm allen in my kdney.

Mine has a neoprene sleeve.  It keeps the tools from deploying.  Plus unlike most multi-tools, this one seems to stay tight.  I've never had to re-tighten it.

I have one of these in my camelback:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19

It basically has more than I could ever use. The only thing I don't like is that it gets rusty so I need to take it apart, clean it and oil it. I think they have some models have some type of case that might help protect it better.

For my singlespeed urban bike I have one of these:

https://www.rei.com/product/152885/bontrager-comp-multi-tool

For my MTB singlspeed I have one of these:

https://www.parktool.com/product/fold-up-hex-wrench-set-aws-11?category=Multi-Tools

The thing I like about the Crank Brothers is that it also has a chain tool. And because it has some larger hex keys, my rear axle (that is not QR) can be removed if I need it.

What I really need to do some day is sit down and check all of the actual bolts on my bikes and see what is really required. The FS is the worst because of things like dropper remotes, etc.

My Crank Brothers tool was great until the last time I needed it. One of the tiny, odd-sized bolts that holds it together shattered and I had to call the wife for a ride home because that made it impossible to repair my flat tire. I am trying to get away from conventional folding tools like that.

Edited by mack_turtle

I stopped riding with a backpack (in Texas) a couple of years ago. My full suspension Tallboy has a Specialized Top Tube Pack, which is quite large. It holds two CO2, 27.5 tube, multitool, small pocket knife, XL bandaids, a small inhaler.

Top Tube Pack | Specialized.com

My SS, since it doesn't have a dropper, holds pretty much the same gear in an XL Krieg saddlebag: Fast Time Checkered Saddle Bag (SizeXL) – Krieg USA

I also have Fix-It sticks on the bottle cages on this bike. One thing you need to watch with Fix-It sticks is the many multiple configurations - make sure the ones you get will fit everything on your bike,

For longer summertime rides, I do wear a waist pack with a 2L water supply and a larger first aid kit.

I still use a pack in the Colorado backcountry - you just never know when you might have to unexpectedly overnight someplace remote. Mine's a newer Deuter which is raised away from your back.

As for my gravel bike - I wanted some extra luggage space for all-day rides, and couldn't find what I wanted --- so I mounted an ammo box 🙂 Weatherproof, won't come loose on washboard surfaces.

IMG_20201222_131342296_MP.jpg

Just now, Cafeend said:

[quote post="43315" timestamp="1609008904" name="The Tip"  a small towel (to clean reading glasses and for first aid)

Does this imply you bring reading glasses with you on a ride?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yup. It sucks not being able to read a text, or a ride app, without them. They fit in the same little bag with my phone. 

9 hours ago, The Tip said:

Yup. It sucks not being able to read a text, or a ride app, without them. They fit in the same little bag with my phone. 

I have these on my phone case:

https://www.thinoptics.com/headline-reading-glasses/pods/original-black-white-pods/readers-universal-pod

I need readers about once or twice a week, so having this on my phone relieves me from having to carry them around with me. Yeah, they look kinda funny but since I only have them on for a couple minutes it's cool. 

But I haven't been to a restaurant or grocery store since February and those were the prime reader necessity spots.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 4fun said:

I use a dakine hot laps gripper on my no pack setup. It holds my tube, multi-tool, tire lever, two CO2’s/co2 inflator, tire boot. I then keep tire plug and quick link inside hollow part of my cranks. 

I have a strap like this but I've not found anywhere that it fits securely on my frame. that might be because of the relatively narrow, round steel tubes instead of fat, squared hydroformed aluminum and carbon like most modern bikes have. I strap to the back of my saddle rails. I carry a tube, lever, bacon stuff, and a CO2, all stuffed in a cotton sack to keep everything clean. a tube full of grit grinding holes into it is not going to be useful. I have not found a secure way to carry any tools with it, though. I am pretty sure that something is going to fall out, or become a big PITA when I need to retrieve it. that's why I am interested in finding a tool that can easily be strapped to the bike or more comfortably carried in a pocket.

on yesterday's ride, I just stuffed everything in a Dakine hip pack, including my tire stuff. that pack easily fits my phone, tools, a snack, and has a side pocket for a water bottle. It makes all the shorts cargo pockets and jersey pockets superfluous, but that's just fine. I might just stop fretting over tool carrying and use that.

26 minutes ago, 4fun said:

I’m on a steel hardtail and do jump lines, drops, and the usual centex Gnar without any security issues. I did read reviews before purchasing and placed some mastic tape where the little pouch contacts the frame!

got a photo of that? just curious, but I'm sure your frame has different nooks and crannies where something like that might fit. the only places I have found where there's enough room for it, on top of the downtube behind the water bottle cage, the strap rotates around the tube no matter how f-ing tight I cinch it down, which I know would result in dropping tools or getting caught on something before my bike event gets to the trailhead.

Edited by mack_turtle

This thread reminds me that it's time again  to empty out my fanny pack (yes I said it) and sort through all the mess. It's always amazing the amount of shit I gather over the year.

Hell, last year when I did this, I found that somehow I grew another multi tool and new life form had been established from a half eaten bags of Jelly beans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I have these on my phone case:

https://www.thinoptics.com/headline-reading-glasses/pods/original-black-white-pods/readers-universal-pod

I need readers about once or twice a week, so having this on my phone relieves me from having to carry them around with me. Yeah, they look kinda funny but since I only have them on for a couple minutes it's cool. 

But I haven't been to a restaurant or grocery store since February and those were the prime reader necessity spots.

Dammit, clicked on that link and now everything is popping up ads for readers, who knew there was so many versions out there. Im blind as F but never had the need for readers on a trail.