IGNORED

What is the next skill...

TheX

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

If you've ever tried to coach a spouse through this kind of stuff you'll appreciate how touch and go it can be.

Years ago, I bought my wife a Sig pistol for Valentines Day. I also paid for three hours of classroom/range training for her.

*wisdom* 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

time to learn to hop:

takeaway:

• there's no such thing as a j-hop. people who use that term sound stupid. let it die.
  • I am jealous of that guy's SBC dirt jumper
  • I need to document my technique to see what I can do better
  • I now kind of understand why hopping a bmx bike is sooooo much easier than any mountain bike, and why some mountain bikes are easier than others.

Joy of Bike is great. Lots of good, get over your demons and bad habits stuff in there.

I want to get better at on the trail, roll-able (says you) drops. Something like Jock Strap or a few of the taller things on 1/4 Notch. I've had enough of that type roller catch my wheel at the bottom and send me ass over tea-kettle enough that my mind just isn't in it. 18-24" I can handle. It's the bigger stuff, or stuff that is steep enough and in line with more and more steep that gets me off the bike. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 12:19 PM, June Bug said:

If the next skill you want to learn is how to refine pumping your bike, pinkbike has a good write up w/illustrations on the science of how the whole thing works.  

How to pump your bike, according to physics

So.... I had learned pumping not by reading or videos or anything, because all that info had thrown me off and then I spent 5 hours at a pump track before it clicked in.  It felt so amazing.  Then I broke my foot and forgot about how to properly do it, then I revert it to the exact wrong thing to do they write about in the article.

So today at Peddlers on the pump section, I instantly got that same feeling again after trying what's on the article you posted!  It felt so good, and I didn't know what to do with all the extra speed since I suck at berms.

Do you have a how to ride berms according to physics link?

• Like 1

I watched some tips Jill Kintner was giving a YouTuber pre-Covid that just clicked. Don’t move your center of gravity i.e. body position fore/aft. Just drop you seat and move your hips up/down only. Then you aren’t sucking up momentum. Took a couple of runs to work on timing but I have to scrub speed to make a few turns now! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've noticed on group rides that the rider in front of me often spends a lot of energy and loses a lot of momentum by swerving all over the trail to avoid obstacles, and I pump my way through those obstacles and wind up braking to avoid hitting the next rider. I'm not even pedaling, and they are pedaling like mad, but I have to brake. it's amazing how much momentum one can lose when you ride around trail obstacles instead of over them.

sometimes I am tired and the effort needed to vault over an obstacle seems too much, so it's not something one can do 100% of the time at 100% effort. taking the smoother but less direct path can be easier and necessary, depending on conditions, but it's usually less efficient than going over. with modern bikes, it's getting easier and easier to tackle terrain directly. when you ride, try to view every little obstacle as a roller to attack, pump, and clear. after all, if you wanted a smooth ride, you'd be a roadie, right?

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I've noticed on group rides that the rider in front of me often spends a lot of energy and loses a lot of momentum by swerving all over the trail to avoid obstacles, and I pump my way through those obstacles and wind up braking to avoid hitting the next rider. I'm not even pedaling, and they are pedaling like mad. it's amazing how much momentum one can lose when you ride around trail obstacles instead of over them. sometimes I am tired and the effort needed to vault over an obstacle seems too much, so it's not something one can do 100% of the time at 100% effort. taking the smoother but less direct path can be easier and necessary, depending on conditions, but it's usually less efficient than going over. however, with modern bikes, it's getting easier and easier to tackle terrain directly. when you ride, try to view every little obstacle as a roller to attack, pump, and clear. after all, if you wanted a smooth ride, you'd be a roadie, right?

Yeah, you've got the right technique. This also applies to riding gravity as a lot of people still try and maneuver around roots & rocks and are either slow as shit, or end up getting hurt.

It took a lot of tedious conversations with my wife to convince her to charge into these, while still remaining light on the pedals/controls.

11 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I pump my way through those obstacles and wind up braking to avoid hitting the next rider.

I do something similar, but I wouldn't characterize it so gracefully. Rather I charge into and through obstacles (this is why I flat and break shit) and occasionally hop them. It certainly has me catching the swerves though. 

48 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Not too long ago I discovered this concept on the SATN trails. I was always picking a line through "stuff." Then one time I just went over all of it. "Well, that was easier." After all, I've got all this suspension, why not use it?

ha! We've all been there and had to put that together, but it's funny to think of the modern rider buying a bike with a 65° HTA, 2.5" tires, and 150mm of suspension, then spend all your energy riding around rocks. then set up your dropper post and never take your ass of the saddle. once it clicks, it makes riding that much more satisfying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

ha! We've all been there and had to put that together, but it's funny to think of the modern rider buying a bike with a 65° HTA, 2.5" tires, and 150mm of suspension, then spend all your energy riding around rocks. then set up your dropper post and never take your ass of the saddle. once it clicks, it makes riding that much more satisfying.

It's like dudes on their brodozers/Jeeps crawling on speed bumps so slowly their suspension doesn't even compress.  Drives me nuts...but I try to be patient, maybe they're hauling wedding cakes or something.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

It's like dudes on their brodozers/Jeeps crawling on speed bumps so slowly their suspension doesn't even compress.  Drives me nuts...but I try to be patient, maybe they're hauling wedding cakes or something.

Most of those rigs are for show only and are usually rattle traps. It's so dumb

On 2/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, Mattlikesbikes said:

Joy of Bike is great. Lots of good, get over your demons and bad habits stuff in there.

I want to get better at on the trail, roll-able (says you) drops. Something like Jock Strap or a few of the taller things on 1/4 Notch. I've had enough of that type roller catch my wheel at the bottom and send me ass over tea-kettle enough that my mind just isn't in it. 18-24" I can handle. It's the bigger stuff, or stuff that is steep enough and in line with more and more steep that gets me off the bike. 

So, without actually focusing on it, I have been progressing on this one. Less on the really tall stuff (Jock), but more on the jump off it stuff. It took riding at different places to get better at it. I rode a few new trails where these 18-24" steps and larger were sendable, so I started trying to send them. Getting more comfortable with it, I have been sending these steps way more now, even on trails I'd ridden for years and never thought to do it on. Gotta get out of your own way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

So, without actually focusing on it, I have been progressing on this one. Less on the really tall stuff (Jock), but more on the jump off it stuff. It took riding at different places to get better at it. I rode a few new trails where these 18-24" steps and larger were sendable, so I started trying to send them. Getting more comfortable with it, I have been sending these steps way more now, even on trails I'd ridden for years and never thought to do it on. Gotta get out of your own way.

Can you share which places?  I'm still not sending it.  I need to practice more on my little 12" drop at home.  My fear is getting the timing wrong.

16 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Can you share which places?  I'm still not sending it.  I need to practice more on my little 12" drop at home.  My fear is getting the timing wrong.

So you know the places I ride now, without progress. Last week rode Reimers and Pace Bend and basically decided to just send it on all the ledgy stuff. I don't know what was different, but I felt less concerned with it out there (helps to not be on goat trail on the side of a steep hill). Then riding back at my normal stuff this week, getting sendy. Not talking gaps and such, but 18-24" ledgy stuff just jumping not rolling.

I will say, I am on the SS and have for years played around a lot with manualing and wheelie dropping stuff. As I have gotten stronger this year, it has gotten progressively easier to pop and the timing has gotten more natural. Looking at the comment from Mack above, that is a huge part of clearing obstacles, up or down. 

• Like 2