IGNORED

the time for bike maintenance is NOW

this crap weather will clear up ... some day. is your bike ready to ride? when did you last:

service your fork or shock,

bleed your brakes,

replace brake pads,

service frame linkage bits,

inspect drivetrain wear,

tension spokes/ true wheels,

check/ replace bearings in hubs, bottom bracket, or headset?

I am not certain, but there's a good chance that bike shop mechanics are bored and waiting for some work to come in. if you're not up to the task at home, give them something to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

this crap weather will clear up ... some day. is your bike ready to ride? when did you last:

service your fork or shock, June: check

bleed your brakes, Aug: check

replace brake pads, Aug: check

service frame linkage bits, Aug: check

inspect drivetrain wear, Aug: confirmed shark tooth gears

tension spokes/ true wheels, Aug: check

check/ replace bearings in hubs, bottom bracket, or headset? Aug: check

I am not certain, but there's a good chance that bike shop mechanics are bored and waiting for some work to come in. if you're not up to the task at home, give them something to do.

Nothing like heading to Bentonville to make sure your ride is dialed.

• Like 1

I was in Bentonville last week and I'm not saying I was busy this week, but because of the weather outlook I have only halfway assembled my bike, even though I was home on Sunday night. Might actually finish it up this weekend. No rush since there is nowhere to ride it. I just had it in the shop for brakes/suspension and did the drivetrain myself. May bring it back to the shop for the dropper. Mack Turtle, do you kids service droppers? What's the typical price. Mine drops well but does not go back up easily, typically need to grab it with my crotch (the anti-trump move) and pull it back up.

My only experience with droppers is a long attempt to revive a DNM dropper, which ended in defeat. I am sure all the good shops in town can deal with them. I've been out of the bike fixing business for a few years and I don't know if I would want to get back into it if I had to deal with e-bikes and finicky dropper posts.

Edited by mack_turtle

The basic dropper service is just taking it apart, cleaning, and using lots of Slick Honey. I had a KS with the exact problem you're describing, and this fixed it in 30 minutes. There are lots of things I don't like messing with on the bike, but routine dropper service is easier than bleeding brakes.