IGNORED

I was right about the apocalypse

AustinBike

4 minutes ago, TAF said:

I think it was discourteous because there wasn't really room on the climb for everyone. They basically buzzed us - it wouldn't have hurt to have waited a couple minutes until the climb was clear.

That's just them being dicks not e-dicks.  Tristan Uhl could have done the same thing with straight human power but I'm sure he would have waited :).

• Like 1

Just now, Tree Magnet said:

That's just them being dicks not e-dicks.  Tristan Uhl could have done the same thing with straight human power but I'm sure he would have waited :).

Ha. I felt like offering them the chance to repeat the climb using my bike, but then I would have been the dick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

i run into lycra guys on shingle-speeds trying to prove their badassness on climbs all the time. Tailgating, bells ringing and all.

How is that any different?  

One slight difference.  Those of us that ride SS know that depending on the climb, if you have to stop, you're done.  So there's a valid technical/non-ego reason to want to keep moving at a certain minimum speed.  Other than that, there's no difference and I even made the point that bike vs hiker is similar.  I personally try not to tailgate if there's no room to pass and I will also try not to buzz by someone or buzz their tire, but if we get to a passing area that's safe to pass and you're wearing headphones hogging the middle of the trail, and/or are oblivious, you may get buzzed.  On the other hand, I also let people by when possible.  I don't like anyone obviously faster tailgating me for an extended period of time.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

One slight difference.  Those of us that ride SS know that depending on the climb, if you have to stop, you're done.  So there's a valid technical/non-ego reason to want to keep moving at a certain minimum speed.  Other than that, there's no difference and I even made the point that bike vs hiker is similar.  I personally try not to tailgate if there's no room to pass and I will also try not to buzz by someone or buzz their tire, but if we get to a passing area that's safe to pass and you're wearing headphones hogging the middle of the trail, and/or are oblivious, you may get buzzed.  On the other hand, I also let people by when possible.  I don't like anyone obviously faster tailgating me for an extended period of time.

Rode SS for a bit and learned some hard lessons about momentum and totally agree on your point. Playing devils advocate, those that haven't or are new to MTB might think they're being tailgated and aggressively overtaken by someone with something to prove.   

Like everything else, seems to come down to the end user. Motor or not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Tip said:

And that, to me, and I'm just debating and not calling anyone out, is a poor argument. You resent them for having more fun than you. "I worked to get up here to enjoy this fun down hill run and THEY didn't!"

But they are not degrading your experience at all. You are not having to listen to their motors. You are not getting rooster tail flotsam thrown in your face. They are not rutting out your trail for future use. The only problem you are having is that "it's not fair." And again, I argue that the same resentment probably occurred when the hard tail rider scoffed at the "new fancy" suspension bikes, that made the trails easier. "Hell, ANYone could ride these trails on THOSE things!"

I use to be ambiguous about them, but the more I have thought about it, I've decided I'm okay with them. I don't want to be the "stay off my lawn" guy, (lol) that resents the new thing. Logically I can't come up with valid arguments against them.

No, I did not resent them for having more fun than me. I resented them for pushing aside someone who was having fun because they wanted to rip it up on the way down. Spider mountain is a great place to do that, walnut, no, not so much.

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

i run into lycra guys on shingle-speeds trying to prove their badassness on climbs all the time. Tailgating, bells ringing and all.

How is that any different?  

It's not, they are just as bad. Basically I am out there to have an enjoyable day. Both the e-bike bros and the spandex racers bug me. And everyone, get off my lawn!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

This pretty much sums up exactly where I'm at.  I used to dislike e-bikes out of the fear that they would negatively impact trail access.  However, I've since seen them in many places and I can sum it up by saying "...a motor does not the douche bag make."  You're just as likely to find some asshat on a single speed hardtail as you are on an e-bike.  If it gets people out advocating for more trail without degrading the experience of those already using that trail, I'm for it.  E-bikes don't degrade my experience.  Neither to one-wheels or hikers or dogs.  Horses, might be another matter.

working hard creates respect (not always but mostly). It filters out people with a lazy attitude. I do feel like ebikes 1) make hard climbs accessible to more people. That alone will bring more people and a larger number of assholes 2) Bring a larger proportion of people with a lazy and bad attitude.

E-bikes in general will create more traffic which could allow us to have a larger lobby for more trails or it could cause existing trails to be more crowded and get us banned.

Edited by crazyt

1 minute ago, crazyt said:

working hard creates respect (not always but mostly). It filters out people with a lazy attitude. I do feel like 1) it makes hard climbs accessible to more people. That alone will bring more people and a larger number of assholes 2) A larger proportion of people with a lazy attitude.

E-bikes in general will create more traffic which could allow us to have a larger lobby for more trails or it could cause existing trails to be more crowded and get us banned.

Yep, they are a double edged sword, they can be used for good or evil.

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

if someone spinning like a hamster in a wheel going nowhere causes me to stall on a climb, I don't get aggressive. but I do give them a look. and that's usually enough for me.

need to work on your trackstands. One guy I rode with on the GB would track stand behind a stalled rider. Hop sideways to an impossible looking line. Hop up the line and continue.

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Once saw a mountain uni go up elephant's butt. For me that was the ultimate track stand. That guy rocked.

not to change the subject, but does anyone still see any of these uni folks out on the trails? I loved watching them session obstacles on those crazy things.

Yep, just the other day passed a guy on uni at bcgb. He was skilled and looked in his 50s. And , it was just after thinking how I had not seen one in years, that maybe it was one of those things that a such a small percentage of people engaged in that once they had moved on, the trend died.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Once saw a mountain uni go up elephant's butt.

a favorite past time for my wife and me is listening to other people's conversations in public and taking single sentences out of context. this sounds like one of those sentences that we'd tuck away for inside jokes later.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, attaboy said:

Yep, just the other day passed a guy on uni at bcgb. He was skilled and looked in his 50s. And , it was just after thinking how I had not seen one in years, that maybe it was one of those things that a such a small percentage of people engaged in that once they had moved on, the trend died.

Back when I rode The Nut on a regular basis, there would be a groups of them out riding. Looked like a lot of broken arms in the making 🙂