IGNORED

WTF. I’ve been bamboozled by a shady amazon marketplace seller

WLemke

Ordered a set of ESI extra chunky grips on Amazon. Here is what I got. 
E458ABDF-C8B1-413E-B0C9-5B38E80C668F.thumb.jpeg.2d49bba7c1cbb114936087667555042d.jpeg7E72C7FD-53BA-4264-A8D8-814C36049D83.thumb.jpeg.f2641cc381a519f955b872bf0c7c2af6.jpegA89A6280-3333-4FDE-9499-B77AAB440298.thumb.jpeg.8ef49301ceaf5e0a6742d69951867041.jpeg

Here is the product page I ordered from: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOVWA8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Ic.6FbK9BTA5J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Partly my mistake as I overlooked who the seller was. I typically don’t have issues with marketplace sellers on Amazon but there is a first time for everything I guess. 

How is it your mistake?  I wouldn't hesitate to return them.  Amazon is so full of crap these days.

This year when I was online Christmas shopping I avoided Amazon so purchases wouldn't show up on our shared account.  I ventured out into the wide world of random e-commerce websites, and was surprised to discover that pretty much everybody has fast shipping now, and the price is often significantly less than Amazon.

• Like 1

How is it your mistake?  I wouldn't hesitate to return them.  Amazon is so full of crap these days.
This year when I was online Christmas shopping I avoided Amazon so purchases wouldn't show up on our shared account.  I ventured out into the wide world of random e-commerce websites, and was surprised to discover that pretty much everybody has fast shipping now, and the price is often significantly less than Amazon.

I try to avoid buying from marketplace sellers where something seems off.

“faf4aawf” was the seller name and their seller information is:

Business Name:YunNanFanLianXinXiJiShuYouXianGongSi
Business Address:
YunNanShengKunMingShiGaoXinQuM1-4DiKuai
HeChengGuoJiYanFaZhongXin BDong6Ceng604Hao
KunMingShi
YunNanSheng
CN

In this case I failed to check before ordering. I’ve already started the return process but it’s always a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually order from ESI direct. Last time I ordered they included a 30% code: ESI30RACERS.  I love the grips but I wish they were a little easier to remove. I have burned through a few pairs replacing brakes, shifters, etc.

Edited by willatter
Added discount code

11 hours ago, willatter said:

I usually order from ESI direct. Last time I ordered they included a 30% code: ESI30RACERS.  I love the grips but I wish they were a little easier to remove. I have burned through a few pairs replacing brakes, shifters, etc.

I love ESI's, but I've been using a set of Red Monkey Klampz for a while now and have been pretty happy with them. The feel of silicone with the ease (and weight) of a lock-on. Also, they are probably the girth of an ESI extra chunky with the cush of a racers edge. I kind of like it, but that combination could be a turn off to some looking for the extra cushion. 

https://www.redmonkeysports.com/collections/klampz-lock-ons

• Like 1

A mechanic’s pick to slide between the grip and bar, and a spray bottle of isopropyl makes getting silicon grips off super easy. I slide the pick in four different position around the bar while giving a small spritz of isopropyl. After a few firm twists the isopropyl will make its way down the entire grip and it will easily slide off.

1 minute ago, WLemke said:

A mechanic’s pick to slide between the grip and bar, and a spray bottle of isopropyl makes getting silicon grips off super easy. I slide the pick in four different position around the bar while giving a small spritz of isopropyl. After a few firm twists the isopropyl will make its way down the entire grip and it will easily slide off.

I've always used compressed air with great results.  There's definitely a little technique involved but once you get that cushion of air going into the grip, it simply glides right off the bar (or back on).  I'm an ESI guy and go through about 1.5 pair per year.  Run the hand-me-downs on my kids bikes too after the tattered edges have been cut off.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

I've always used compressed air with great results.  There's definitely a little technique involved but once you get that cushion of air going into the grip, it simply glides right off the bar (or back on).  I'm an ESI guy and go through about 1.5 pair per year.  Run the hand-me-downs on my kids bikes too after the tattered edges have been cut off.
Later,
CJB

That’s a great idea. I’m assuming you’re using a rubber tipped air chuck like this?539a6459da66af794b73f92fed820757.jpg

• Like 2

I always used hair spray in the shop. surprisingly, WD-40 is good for installing rubber grips. it dries up fast and leaves the bar/grip sticky and basically melted in place. this is how Tom at Empire BMX does it and that guy has installed a few grips in his day. however, the grips are not going to come off easily after this.

Edited by mack_turtle

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I always used hair spray in the shop. surprisingly, WD-40 is good for installing rubber grips. it dries up fast and leaves the bar/grip sticky and basically melted in place. this is how Tom at Empire BMX does it and that guy has installed a few grips in his day. however, the grips are not going to come off easily after this.

I used hair spray on motorcycle grips for many years. Works great.

I thought everyone just used lockon grips now, seemed like a no-brainer game changer to me. [emoji848]

I’ve yet to find a more comfortable grip than extra chunkys for longer distances.

Last week I did the Georgetown lake loop. My new bike came with some flavor of lizard skin lock-ons. They are super grippy but have next to no cushion. I started at Cedar Breaks and by the time I got to Camp Tejas my hands were not feeling great. When riding the same section on my old bike with extra chunkys, my hands would still feel fresh.

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I've been avoiding Amazon for bike stuff because the whole site is saturated with generic crap. you have to sift through all the Rock Bros. garbage and other knock-offs to find the real stuff, and then that stuff is the same price as anywhere else.

I've had great success buying bike stuff on Ebay. Just scored these 5-10 Trail Cross LTs for $85 via bid as I was the only bidder. Interestingly they shipped out of Spicewood, TX. If you're out there - THANK YOU! Even with tax and shipping they were around $40 under retail. 

image.thumb.png.b812d3b4a231c1ddf918114a236f56db.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

I have tried this and the compressed air trick and finally said screw it and broke out the razor. Maybe it's my handle bars, I'm not sure. I have had success removing them off my daughter's bike but it is a total pain on my blur. I usually replace them every few months anyway so its not that big of a deal.

1 hour ago, GFisher said:

I thought everyone just used lockon grips now, seemed like a no-brainer game changer to me. 🤔

Silicone grips like ESI just feel different. They add cushion and dampen vibrations. Plus, if you are a gram counter, you can beat the weight. I was having some hand problems when I tried them first. Can't say they fixed the hand issues completely, but I found I just loved the feel. I tried to go back to the lockons that came on a bike. That only lasted one ride. 

9 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Lock-on grips feel really weird to me. twice the price, half the confidence- inspiring feel. no thanks.

Funny. I feel super comfortable with them. I can think back on some rides back in the day where regular grips broke free (like at City Park) and it was death defying trying to finish a lap with the grip trying to slide off every 100' ,that or try to grip the bare slippery bar. I may give some silicones a try though.Comfort is good.

Edited by GFisher

I place 4 zip ties inside the grip and then slide the grip on to the bar using the zip ties as a sort of “slider”. Once the grip is in place I yank the zip ties out. No spray to dry up and they stay put. It’s my weird way but it works.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, willatter said:

I dont know how ESI grips might be different, but with regular grips I use an air compressure and a needle inflator.  Put compressed air into the grip and they slide right off. Also makes putting them on easy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, throet said:

I've had great success buying bike stuff on Ebay. Just scored these 5-10 Trail Cross LTs for $85 via bid as I was the only bidder. Interestingly they shipped out of Spicewood, TX. If you're out there - THANK YOU! Even with tax and shipping they were around $40 under retail. 

image.thumb.png.b812d3b4a231c1ddf918114a236f56db.png

another trick for ebay is to use a bidnapping service (I use bidnapper.com). They use bots to place a bid on your behalf in the last few seconds to prevent bidding wars. You can also chain auctions together so if you dont get one, it will bid on the next one. I have a high win rate with no bidding war.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Just looked online -- $140! 5-10 Trail Cross LT

Please post a product review after you put some miles on these. They look like a good option for summer.  

Will do! Just trying them on I can say they are incredibly light and comfortable, while still feeling stable. They have a really unique heal pad that sort of wedges you into a snug fit but with ample padding for comfort. Of course the Stealth sole speaks for itself. Can't wait to try them on the trail and will give a review once I do.  

• Like 1