IGNORED

Day Tripper - Nearby trails to be explored

throet

Thought it would be cool for folks to post up on 1) Austin area trails they've yet to ride, and 2) willingness to lead a small group interested in exploring some of the trails you know well. I'll start by listing the nearby trails I have not ridden but would like to ride with somebody who knows their way around them. 

1. Dana Peak

2. Cameron Park

3. Madrone

4. Flat Rock Ranch (not exactly nearby but still possible as an all-day trip)

• Like 3

I get around, so it's hard to find a reasonable trail system within 2.5 hours that I haven't done. Hell, I did more than 520 miles in 11 visits to Flat Rock this year!

The short list includes Hill Top trails in F'burg, Cat Mtn, and Seguin Park. Locally I haven't been to McKinney Falls. I'm eyeing riding it from the door with ChamoisHagar at some point. Surely there's other systems I'm forgetting or are wholly unaware of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I get around, so it's hard to find a reasonable trail system within 2.5 hours that I haven't done. Hell, I did more than 520 miles in 11 visits to Flat Rock this year!

The short list includes Hill Top trails in F'burg, Cat Mtn, and Seguin Park. Locally I haven't been to McKinney Falls. I'm eyeing riding it from the door with ChamoisHagar at some point. Surely there's other systems I'm forgetting or are wholly unaware of. 

Would you say that Cameron Park is worth the travel time? How about Dana Peak? Given your number of visits to Flat Rock, I think I know the answer there! Do you normally stay overnight when you go?

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Haven't ridden Dana or cameron and would like to check it out.

Ridden comfort once, 4 years ago. Like to revisit

Familiar with madrone and would be up for a group ride. 

*Georgetown loop and thumper are on my todo

I'm working on finding a date for some guys to get up to Lake Georgetown - possibly even this weekend if things dry out enough. Will keep you posted! 

Also, just give me a couple of days notice on Madrone and I'll be down for a weekend ride there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, throet said:

Would you say that Cameron Park is worth the travel time? How about Dana Peak? Given your number of visits to Flat Rock, I think I know the answer there! Do you normally stay overnight when you go?

Cameron Park has long been one of my favorite TX trails. Total blast, but a bit of navigation required (good maps and signage - you just need to figure your way around all the trails). Think Walnut Creek but with 10x the elevation. I was running about 120 ft/mile for a while last time I was there. Dana Peak is also well worth it. I went for the first time a few weeks ago. Don't miss the stuff in the middle and they are building some new stuff on the far East end by Stillhouse Park (I may park over there next time). These 2 make a good overnighter. In November I rode Cameron one day stayed in Waco and then hit Dana Peak on the way home.

Flat Rock is also awesome and also combines well with Kerrville Schreiner Park. I also did this as an overnighter in November. Kerrville Park is super fun (I think) and expanding, the last couple times I have been (only about once a year) there was some new trail. You can also add in a nice scenic pathway along the Guadalupe River for several miles. For this trip I rode Kerrville, stayed there and then rode Comfort the next day. I would have reversed that but it was super windy the first day and you are much more in the open at Flat Rock.

• Like 3

Cameron Park has long been one of my favorite TX trails. Total blast, but a bit of navigation required (good maps and signage - you just need to figure your way around all the trails). Think Walnut Creek but with 10x the elevation. I was running about 120 ft/mile for a while last time I was there. Dana Peak is also well worth it. I went for the first time a few weeks ago. Don't miss the stuff in the middle and they are building some new stuff on the far East end by Stillhouse Park (I may park over there next time). These 2 make a good overnighter. In November I rode Cameron one day stayed in Waco and then hit Dana Peak on the way home.
Flat Rock is also awesome and also combines well with Kerrville Schreiner Park. I also did this as an overnighter in November. Kerrville Park is super fun (I think) and expanding, the last couple times I have been (only about once a year) there was some new trail. You can also add in a nice scenic pathway along the Guadalupe River for several miles. For this trip I rode Kerrville, stayed there and then rode Comfort the next day. I would have reversed that but it was super windy the first day and you are much more in the open at Flat Rock.

I recently hiked at Kerrville and think it’s worth a ride if you’re in the area. Fun twisty trails with good views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, throet said:

Would you say that Cameron Park is worth the travel time? How about Dana Peak?

Yes to both. Although I prefer and have revisited Dana Peak more often. I think @GFisher gave a fair description of Cameron Park, although I do enjoy many other places more. But I would add that a visit to Balconies Distillery afterwards is a big bonus. 

I have about a 3 hour pain point for day trips. Nearly all my FRR trips are day trips. I've even been known to do San Angelo as a day trip at a little more than 3 hours...although that's pushing it a bit far. I also enjoy overnights to Dallas (Northshore + something else) or Houston. 

Edited by Barry
Little screen + late drunken posting is a typo's precipitate
  • Like 1

Cameron Park is fifteen minutes away from where I live. It does have an extensive network of trails. I recommend a good map like trailforks to get around. Trails range from green to double black. It's all up and down, barely any level. It mostly feels up. I rode yesterday for 2.9 miles and had 358 feet elevation. Good trails, I highly recommend them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Cameron park is great but don’t recommend trying it in the summer months. You’re down in a valley and it’s crazy hot. The zoo smell sometimes creeps in which makes the air you can breathe smell like buzzard crap. However, riding around in the bamboo forests and crazy g-outs is worth a drive out there in the non-surface-of-the-sun months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 6:02 AM, Leafkiller said:

Cameron Park is fifteen minutes away from where I live. It does have an extensive network of trails. I recommend a good map like trailforks to get around. Trails range from green to double black. It's all up and down, barely any level. It mostly feels up. I rode yesterday for 2.9 miles and had 358 feet elevation. Good trails, I highly recommend them.

Can confirm Cameron Park place feels like you are always climbing- I do like the Bamboo forest part.   I like Dana Peak- there are tons of solid g outs and the swimming after is pretty cool.  Flat Rock may be my favorite place to ride in the two hour drive distance from Austin.    Madrone is hard.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Well I managed to check off three more Central Texas trails since starting this thread last year, 1) Dana Peak, 2) Pedernales Falls, and 3) Cat Mtn. Looking to hit Madrone before Thanksgiving. Cameron Park is still on my list. Believe Flat Rock is closed for the year now, but will definitely plan to get out there once they re-open.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throet said:

Well I managed to check off three more Central Texas trails since starting this thread last year, 1) Dana Peak, 2) Pedernales Falls, and 3) Cat Mtn. Looking to hit Madrone before Thanksgiving. Cameron Park is still on my list. Believe Flat Rock is closed for the year now, but will definitely plan to get out there once they re-open.  

What'd you think of Cat?

19 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

What'd you think of Cat?

Cat was a blast! We ended up making a wrong turn and spent an hour or so just going up and down sections on the side of the hill. Finally made our way back up to where we started and then followed a couple of guys on the proper route. Then climbed the street back to the starting point and rode top to bottom once again. Didn't do anything extreme but still managed to get a little air time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, throet said:

Ping the STORM folks in S.A. on the status of madrone before heading there. A while back the Corp turned over control to some local group and the first thing they did was temporarily close it. 🙄 Some BS about signage, but I don’t recall reading if it reopened yet. Could be all good but wouldn’t want you to waste the trip. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, throet said:

If you want to hit Madrone let me know. I have ridden it a bunch and I have friends down there that ride it all the time. I can ride almost every day of the week for the most part. 

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

If you want to hit Madrone let me know. I have ridden it a bunch and I have friends down there that ride it all the time. I can ride almost every day of the week for the most part. 

Appreciate the offer. Looks like we've got a small group planning to ride on Sunday, Nov 14 at noon. You're welcome to join us if you'd like.  

On 11/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, AustinBike said:

Wird from the locals is that Madrone is open and rideable. Park district took it over from the army. 

it has been open for a bit, I usually get out there at least once a week, pretty much the same it has been for years with some new signage and cleaned up some as well.

• Like 1