IGNORED

So where is everyone riding today?

GFisher

On 12/31/2020 at 11:18 AM, throet said:

Darn! Hope you are joking. 

I'm a paramedic so it's a nearly everyday thing.

Wife and I went hiking on NY day for our first First Hike. Cameron Park wasn't that bad. A lot of puddle on the low trail but that was it. I went riding yesterday there and the upper trails are good. Still a little damp and there is a lot of leaves on the ground. So much so that a couple of times I couldn't tell the trail from the non-trail. I ended the year with a big crash so I'm working on slowly getting my confidence back. Yesterday was good.

• Like 2

IMG_20210103_153241563_HDR.thumb.jpg.5903a7603b783a0cdd24c273c466b0d3.jpg

Wife and I ended up going to RHR and was able to get in around 17mies. Trail conditions were great and we only saw one guy on the trail and maybe 4-5 others on the greys highway fire road. Perfect weather to be out there.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Hi bikers, I am new to the site, had a question that didn't seem to warrant a new thread so I piled onto this one.  Just got back into riding after 20 yrs with a new bike with all the trimmings (pads, gloves, etc).  I was wondering if anyone could advise on trails/riding experience on Miller Springs Nature Center (Temple) and the Fort Hood trails (BLORA).  Since I am getting back into this, I am not ready yet for black or black diamonds, mostly green-ish, greenish-blue and blue.  Spider mtn is on my radar but not yet.

Thanks,  Rider side up.

Dean

14 minutes ago, Dean said:

Hi bikers, I am new to the site, had a question that didn't seem to warrant a new thread so I piled onto this one.  Just got back into riding after 20 yrs with a new bike with all the trimmings (pads, gloves, etc).  I was wondering if anyone could advise on trails/riding experience on Miller Springs Nature Center (Temple) and the Fort Hood trails (BLORA).  Since I am getting back into this, I am not ready yet for black or black diamonds, mostly green-ish, greenish-blue and blue.  Spider mtn is on my radar but not yet.

Thanks,  Rider side up.

Dean

I was just out there a few weeks ago. Not worth the drive in my opinion, but ok if you are in the area.

26 minutes ago, Dean said:

Thanks,  Rider side up.

Dean

this sounds like it needs its own thread. your question is going get skimmed over in this discussion. go ahead, no one will mind.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Thanks,  Rider side up.

Dean

go ride Dana Peak at lake Stillhouse, its a blast:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/dana-peak-park/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I never used to be affected by it.  This year it's turning out differently.  It's like someone opened a faucet in my nose.

At Brushy today we pulled over to let some riders coming from the other direction pass. I grabbed hold of a cedar branch and unleashed a cloud of dust. Never seen anything like it, but doubled down on my daily Flonase dosage and seem to be no worse for the wear so far. Critically important of course to ditch the clothes you've worn outside and shower all of that crap off as quickly as possible.  

• Like 1

Monday: Rode over to the Millwood Library on Amherst to pick up some books curbside, mostly via Northern Walnut Creek path. 

Sad snowmen here and there are mostly what's left of The Blizzard of 2021, although there was still some slush on one of the bridges west of Metric. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I got in 20 miles of urban riding, started at 38F. Best thing to happen to me recently was finally working out all of my layers properly. I rode the whole time today with no issue, only my toes got cold in the last 15 minutes.

Do you wear neoprene shoe covers? My toes are my weakest link in the cold and my new-ish shoe covers have really helped. I haven't ridden in sub 40 conditions yet, but after a recent ride in sub 50 weather I was okay. 

I have some neoprene toe covers. Great for keeping wind out... And keeping icy cold water next to your toes when you step in a puddle.

I also have waterproof socks. They keep your feet dry but when your shoes get wet, you can't tell the difference when everything goes numb.

Austin never gets cold for long enough to justify the purchase, but I'd own waterproof cycling boots and rechargeable electric socks if I lived someplace cold. 

10 hours ago, The Tip said:

Do you wear neoprene shoe covers? My toes are my weakest link in the cold and my new-ish shoe covers have really helped. I haven't ridden in sub 40 conditions yet, but after a recent ride in sub 50 weather I was okay. 

No, I tried those once and had nothing but problems with my pedals. Finally just gave up on it. Basically just wool socks and those work for 1:45 of a 2 hour ride, so it is workable for me.

11 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I have some neoprene toe covers. Great for keeping wind out... And keeping icy cold water next to your toes when you step in a puddle.

I also have waterproof socks. They keep your feet dry but when your shoes get wet, you can't tell the difference when everything goes numb.

Austin never gets cold for long enough to justify the purchase, but I'd own waterproof cycling boots and rechargeable electric socks if I lived someplace cold. 

I have a pair of these for super-cold days -- problem solved.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/apparel-accessories/shimano-series-lsg-2019/SH-MW701.html

On my pre-dawn rides that can get down into the 20's and 30's on Barton Creek, I'll wear neoprene toe covers, and slip a chemical hand warmer pack in between the toe cover and the outside of my shoes on top over the toes, works great to keep them warm, and you don't get the discomfort of having a warmer inside the shoe.

• Like 3