IGNORED

Mini Dana Peak Bike Fest April 9th-11th

The Tip

8 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

My goal of wringing out every last drop from my legs was a success.

You had me at 157bpm, which is higher than I've been in quite a while. Seems a few of those climbs came in quick succession. The one that did me in had me caught in a middle gear when I realized we were going way up again. So much fun and challenge to step away from the familiar turf! Looking forward to getting down south for a SATN ride soon, and hope to host you on a Brushy ride as well. 

• 8 months later...
On 1/2/2022 at 9:28 AM, Barry said:

Any plans to do this again this year? 

Any demand for it?

I thought it was  great time (except for the face alteration parts!) I'm all in if a few folks say they'll come and make it "a thing."

There is plenty of trail I would I like to ride again and lots that I didn't even get to.

• Like 1

Keeping it within 1-2 hours, other potential locations include Flat Rock Ranch and Reveille Peak Ranch (would probably have to do 1 day at RPR and 1 day at Spider though). Although I'm not sure either has the camping capacity that Dana Peak has. 

While Madrone, Pace Bend, Muleshoe, RHR and Bluff Creek all have camping, and most have showers, they're are all too short to make for 2 days of riding IMO. Goodwater has plenty of riding and camping, but you're either doing a loop or an out-and back, so not a lot of fun variation. 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:31 AM, Barry said:

Keeping it within 1-2 hours, other potential locations include Flat Rock Ranch and Reveille Peak Ranch (would probably have to do 1 day at RPR and 1 day at Spider though). Although I'm not sure either has the camping capacity that Dana Peak has. 

While Madrone, Pace Bend, Muleshoe, RHR and Bluff Creek all have camping, and most have showers, they're are all too short to make for 2 days of riding IMO. Goodwater has plenty of riding and camping, but you're either doing a loop or an out-and back, so not a lot of fun variation. 

Yes, all those limitations everywhere, except at Dana Peak. I looked at all those places too. I just checked camping availability at Pedernales Falls State Park as well. But the weekends are all booked up. AND the state parks have that ridiculous "no viewable alcohol" rule too. TOTALLY unacceptable! Go Army!

Dana Peak has enough spots left to make it doable for some weekends in April or early May. I get the move the event around idea. But since there really isn't a place to try we could just embrace upholding the "tradition" of this event.

I'm not trying to sell this. But if a few commit let's do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry said:

If you're trying to drum up interest...you probably have a bigger audience every Tuesday at 6 than you do on this forum. 

I'm into it, though. 

Yes, but only if I remember to mention it, like I didn't last time when I decided to mention it!

But if you're in, or JRider, or Taco Junkie, or anyone else on this thread, say they're in, then I will say that this small group is going for sure. Then I can say, "this is happening, come on."

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

It's a thang!

May 20- 22, 2022 
That's Friday through Sunday.
Make reservations at:
https://www.recreation.gov/  Put in "Dana Peak" in the search window
There are currently 14 RV spots available ($24/night). Book Firs Loop 2-7, and Seco Loop  spots 8-20 for RVing. There's a $40/night double spot in there somewhere too.
Seco 21-25 spots are tent only, but they have electric and water
Spots T1-T8 are also tent only but those spots don't have anything. No water or electric

I don't know what the cancellation policy is but I strongly urge you, even if you're only 42% sure you'll go, to go ahead and make a reservation right now. You can always give your site away to someone that was slow to respond or cancel it. That happened last year and worked out well.

Woot! Woot!
  • Thanks 1

ALL the sites are good! Well maybe that's a stretch. Maybe better to say that all the sites are adequate! 

There's lots of room on the RV sites for tent campers. Just say something here, like Taco Junkie did, if you need a place for a tent. Tents won't be any problem. And remember, there are sites reserved for those that still need an RV spot.