IGNORED

Cedar hill (Dobra)

MikeyG

Heading there to camp this weekend with the family and we’re taking the bikes. Hopefully the trails will open back up by then. I know there’s a 3, 8, and 12 mile trail. Anyone been? What type of trails? Rocky? Flow-ie? Technical?

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was there a couple of years ago. Not much in DFW is technical compared to Austin., and Cedar Hill is no exception. Expect easy to follow mostly buff and fairly easy trails. Maybe a few steep sections.  As I recall the hardest bit was a short climb at the start. Definitely nothing as hard as the hardest parts of Walnut like Endo or the Windy climb. Still a fun joint. 

Big Cedar is just a couple of miles north and more of the same. I think they have odd hours on Sunday though.

I lived in Dallas 15+ yrs ago.  Cedar Hill was on the other side of town from where we lived but I made it down there occasionally.  It has a little bit more trail (distance) that the other places I rode and thus you could get better 'steady pedaling'.  It was pretty smooth rolling singltrack which had loops near Joe Pool Lake.  It was scenic (by Dallas standards) and I enjoyed it plenty.  But I'm certain it wouldn't be your preferred stuff for a daily diet.

Later,
CJB

It's in a church property right?  I remember doing a TMBRA XC race there and they didn't race on Sunday IIRC.

Big Cedar and Boulder are on/share church property.

Cedar Hill is a state park. Of all the trails in Dallas it actually has some...some elevation change. The trail is as described above, fine. If you’re in the area though, hit Big Cedar or head straight to the Northshore of Lake Grapevine. The Northshore trails were my favorite trails when I lived there (back in 08). Fun, with some techy bits (minor tech) and plenty of mileage. I also enjoyed Oak Cliff Nature Preserve, but it is fully “in da hood”. It’s about as close to feeling like Walnut as you can get up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cedar Hill I always describe the trail as kitty litter.  Seems every time I went it was super dry and the clay crumbles to the consistency of kitty litter on all the ups/downs.  Wife used to go visit a friend not far from there and if I got drug along I would do a lap or two for shits and giggles.  Haven't been since they moved a decade ago. Like Cody, I just considered it a place to go turn some miles, nothing technical, and if I remember correctly pretty open with lots of mesquites.