IGNORED

Carbon rim damage

Shanerpvt

I recently got a new wheel set w/ carbon rims.  This is my first set of carbon rims.  While installing a stubborn DHR II,  I somehow tore the rim tape with the tire tool and damaged the carbon on the inside of the rim.  I would have never known, but the tire was leaking thru spoke holes.  After dismounting, I recognized I had damaged the rim strip and punctured the carbon.

Fast forward, the manufacture is going to help me out with a crash replacement but I am still out $275 for a rim/wheel that has never been ridden AND I have to cut the rim spokes off the hub and send it back to them.

After this experience, I wish I had purchased a set of wheels with Aluminum rims.........

Here is my question, I understand most manufacturers have some sort of warrantee but how common is this?  Are some brands more problem prone than others?  Please share your experiences.  The last thing I want to do is to through good money after bad.

thank you for your thoughts,

Shaner

1 minute ago, TheX said:

WTF, what is the tire tool made of?

It was a “plastic” crank bros tool.  If fairness it broke trying to get the DHR on........I am assuming that was the instance it happened. 

Maybe I just have shitty luck, but it has me worried about the strength of the rim for future installs.

I find it hard to believe a plastic tool alone did that to healthy carbon.  Any carbon composite experts here want to chime in?  

To me that looks like there's not enough resin in that pre-preg layer(s) but it's not the best picture resolution.

(my composite expertise is on fiberglass printed circuit boards for which dry spots is one concern).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I find it hard to believe a plastic tool alone did that to healthy carbon.  Any carbon composite experts here want to chime in?  

To me that looks like there's not enough resin in that pre-preg layer(s) but it's not the best picture resolution.

(my composite expertise is on fiberglass printed circuit boards for which dry spots is one concern).

The picture is enlarged.

Crank Bros plastic tool BROKE while attempting to install.  I suspect the “trauma” failure caused the damage.

I guess I am relieved to see people think this is not normal, as I don’t want to throw more $$$ at a failing solution.

2 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Isn't 250 a bit of a bargain for a carbon wheel?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

$275.  The quote to ship the wheel back to Canada was $150.  Now the cost is $425.  Unless of course I cut the spokes off the existing hub and send to Canada.

Replacement Enve or Revel rims are $600 plus build, am I better going this route?

Sounds like I should just cut my losses, get the replacement.

We Are One rims? I serious don’t understand how you did this with a tire tool. I’m with Antonio, needs more resin. Looks like weak pre-preg. If you broke a tire lever putting a tire on though, I’ve dinged AL rims using the wrong methods, but dang. Make sure the beads on the opposite end of the tire are down in the middle of the rim before fitting remaining 10 inches of bead if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanerpvt said:

$275.  The quote to ship the wheel back to Canada was $150.  Now the cost is $425.  Unless of course I cut the spokes off the existing hub and send to Canada.

Replacement Enve or Revel rims are $600 plus build, am I better going this route?

Sounds like I should just cut my losses, get the replacement.

Why would you cut the spokes off? You can unscrew the spoke nipples using a spoke wrench.

I agree that a plastic tire lever should never have been able to puncture a rim. Never. The rim should be stronger than that. If that's all it took, imagine what Austin right cks will do.

However, I don't ever use a tire lever to install tires. Maybe a super skinny wire bead road tire. If you cannot get the tire on without a lever, that's a shitily designed rim, tire, or both. It should take some effort to wrestle the tire on, but not like that.

I've have to use a Pedro's tire lever on every wheel I've installed on my Chinese carbon rims. There is absolutely no way I can get the tire on without it. I don't think it's a poor design of the tire or rim. Tubeless is awesome for its reliability but I think that manufacturers design tubeless rims and tires with tighter tolerances. When I use the tire lever to mount the tire I slide the lever hook side down under the tire bead catch the rim lip and pry it over. Never damaged a carbon rim yet. What rims are those? 

Considering the damage is on the inner wall of the rim I wound't be too concerned like @teamsloan mentioned I'd gorilla tape it and go about my day. Those rims are going to see a lot worse than a tire lever here in Centex.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

Please explain.

That seems really expensive to ship a rim. I've sent a 7lb frame to Halifax for under $75

Like the others, I  cannot imagine a plastic tire tool doing that. If it did, there's a manufacturing defect. Most reputable companies would work with you to resolve.

Otherwise DT swiss XM481s or EX511 if you're a basher 

Edited by ATXZJ

10 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

We Are One rims? I serious don’t understand how you did this with a tire tool. I’m with Antonio, needs more resin. Looks like weak pre-preg. If you broke a tire lever putting a tire on though, I’ve dinged AL rims using the wrong methods, but dang. Make sure the beads on the opposite end of the tire are down in the middle of the rim before fitting remaining 10 inches of bead if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, We Are One.  Not sure about the pre-preg, WAY outside of my expertise.

I wish I would have taken a pic of the broken tire tool before I pitched it.

I was installing a Victoria liner in the DHR, so that may have also contributed to the force needed to bead the tire.

Thanks to all for their replies.  Sounds like it may have just been a freak thing, which is really what I was hoping to hear.

Edited by Shanerpvt
Grammar correction