IGNORED

Carbon rim damage

Shanerpvt

Manufacturing defect.  That looks like they didn't get a good coat of resin in that area.  No way a plastic tire tool should scratch through a rim. 

I would push the issue with them.

I have Reynolds.  I landed hard off a drop on a rock and busted the sidewall out.  All I had to do was send them the wheel.  They replaced a new rim and shipped it back at no cost.

Ask them to send you a new rim.  Then you have it re-laced into the wheel here locally.  Even if its crash replacement, it would save some on shipping and such.

So much about tire install is technique.  Back when I was a regular shop worker in college, we'd have contests in the back to see who could get a tire on or off without tire levers.  The old grizzly mechanics would beat us all every time.  Now that i've become fairly grizzly myself I can do it 90% of the time.  And to take this further....trying removing and mounting a big stiff MX tire!  Holy crap is was a beast the first time (or 2) I did it.  Initial time took me 6hrs of working through it.  This included food breaks, phone calls, videos and resting in exacerbation.  Flash forward a few years and I was changing a tire by the side of my truck before an MX race while it was 45* outside.  I got it done in about 20 minutes.

All that said, sometimes its also about the specific combo of parts your assembling too.  The early Stans Crest where actually made with an inner rim diameter that was a tad oversized.  THOSE RIMS ARE A BITCH TO SEAT A TIRE ON!  I'm still running them on my gravel bike and I dread tire changes.

Later,
CJB

• Like 3

1 hour ago, circuitbreaker said:

I think the major exception is Santa Cruz Reserve, which will cover any damage for free. 

As someone with 10k miles on the SC Reserve rims, I'm aware that they will only cover damage sustained while riding. If you run over it with a truck, then they'll give you a cost-replacement. But I bet they'd cover plastic lever damage as well. 

12 minutes ago, CBaron said:

So much about tire install is technique.  Back when I was a regular shop worker in college, we'd have contests in the back to see who could get a tire on or off without tire levers.

My thinking has changed on this a little. I used to never use levers. I'd put the bead in the middle of the rim, and pop it in the usual way. But I have found that using a large plastic lever often lets you install the tire without pushing the bead to the center. And this allows for easier bead seating and inflation later. 

The main reason I avoid tire levers if I can is that sometimes that results in the tape getting damaged.  But I don't run any inserts. It seems to me if you run inserts, you're forced to use levers.

Going back to carbon and pre-preg, I can't stand the arrogant pompous guy, but there's this Hambini guy on YouTube that rails on manufacturers of bike stuff, one thing being on carbon frames and such with poor quality including voids.

4 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I can't stand the arrogant pompous guy, but there's this Hambini guy on YouTube that rails on manufacturers of bike stuff, one thing being on carbon frames and such with poor quality including voids.

I love him, and how he holds their feet to the fire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CBaron said:

Ask them to send you a new rim.  Then you have it re-laced into the wheel here locally.  Even if its crash replacement, it would save some on shipping and such.

Sound logic.  This is what I ultimately decided on.  Just send the email to change my order.

Next, any recommendations on who to build the wheel?

5 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

Sound logic.  This is what I ultimately decided on.  Just send the email to change my order.

Next, any recommendations on who to build the wheel?

@Mattlikesbikes ....any chance you are around and wanting to build some wheels?  Matt was the HH wheel builder when I owned the shop and one of the best I've seen.  But he's all grown up now with kids and a family along with real obligations.  Not sure if he's building any wheels.

After Matt moved to Dallas we sub'd out our wheel building to James (formerly from Jack & Adams).  James went on to run the area Velofix mobile mechanics in the Austin area.  But I'm not sure if he's still doing that or not.  Someone where will have the details and/or his contact info.

Later,
CJB 

2 hours ago, CBaron said:

@Mattlikesbikes ....any chance you are around and wanting to build some wheels?  Matt was the HH wheel builder when I owned the shop and one of the best I've seen.  But he's all grown up now with kids and a family along with real obligations.  Not sure if he's building any wheels.

After Matt moved to Dallas we sub'd out our wheel building to James (formerly from Jack & Adams).  James went on to run the area Velofix mobile mechanics in the Austin area.  But I'm not sure if he's still doing that or not.  Someone where will have the details and/or his contact info.

Later,
CJB 

James Valentine? He is still here - lives in Allandale. Still with Velofix.

• Like 1

Yeah James (Balentine) is the guy. He built several wheelsets for me and they all stayed true for their full life. I'm not the craziest rider so I may not be the best judge on this, but I think he does awesome work.

https://www.velofix.com

If you are on Facebook you can find him directly, otherwise go through the Velofix site and make sure you are dealing with him.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 3:18 PM, CBaron said:

So much about tire install is technique. 

Not sure if I came up with this on my own, but I've been clamping the tire on either side of that last ~10" using a pair of plastic spring clamps - see sketch.  They squeeze the beads together/towards channel and prevent the bead from backing out if you let go before seating.  Sometimes I still need to use a (pedros) lever, but not too often and it's still easier.  My main concern with using a lever is tearing my rim strip.

Another bonus is you can flip it over and 'stand' it on the clamps when adding sealant.

image.thumb.png.9c775251e64a018b6a6ad10482670b43.png

image.png.fc5a41e250592a4410f5bf837664cce3.png

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

Not sure if I came up with this on my own, but I've been clamping the tire on either side of that last ~10" using a pair of plastic spring clamps - see sketch.  They squeeze the beads together/towards channel and prevent the bead from backing out if you let go before seating.  Sometimes I still need to use a (pedros) lever, but not too often and it's still easier.  My main concern with using a lever is tearing my rim strip.

Another bonus is you can flip it over and 'stand' it on the clamps when adding sealant.

image.thumb.png.9c775251e64a018b6a6ad10482670b43.png

image.png.fc5a41e250592a4410f5bf837664cce3.png

That's a brilliant idea!  Probably more important with the very stiff sidewall tires and in rims with a shallower center channel.

I usually start squeezing the tire from the bottom and move on up on either side, with upward pulling force on the tire (taking the slack), but for sure on some tires even this is challenging.

1 hour ago, Shanerpvt said:

Would this still work with an insert?

The vittoria will compress enough to get the beads in. Installed the M on the back of my trailbike with 30mm carbon hoops and 2.35s. My park bike had a L insert with a 2.5 minion SS with wire bead and DH carcass on a 35mm rim. A bit of work but it went on without carnage.

@ssorgs good idea on the clamps! I've used these dewalts for just about everything.

_3770559-dwht83145-1500-1357310368.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

On 1/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, Chief said:

You can also use a toe clip strap to keep the tire place.

Years ago I watched a video of an old guy doing this with a notoriously hard to install commuter tire using zero hand strength.  I can't find the video for anything now, but it's been my go-to method since.  I don't own a tire lever.

• Like 1

fun story: being a penny-pincher, I bought some Nukeproof ARD inserts because they were a mere $50 for the pair. as I expected, they fit loose and then stretch a bit, causing them to rattle in your tires. it's not a big deal but it's annoying. yesterday, I pulled them out to install my tire on a new front wheel and downsized the inserts by cutting a 1" segment out of the foam and glued them back together. they fit much better now. I also installed the Spec Purgatory 2.35" tire with an insert on a Flow rim using just my hands!