IGNORED

Carbon rim damage

Shanerpvt

58 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

Crash replacement rim - $275 ($250 + $50 shipping).

Working on getting it replaced locally.

Good luck man and keep us updated.  For what it's worth, I got carbon rims (Lite Bicycles) for my hardtail 29+ bike and I really like them.  I don't really notice the weight savings (which was significant) but I do notice the toughness and ability to stay true despite being smashed through rock gardens with no shock.  It was a good upgrade and I'd do it again.

• Like 1

I've had my Nextie AM30 rims a few years now. They've been on two different hubs on two different bikes. They have taken a good amount of abuse and have plenty of scars to prove it. They only saved like 160gms overall so not much lighter than the XM481's I had. But I will say that when I relaced them to a set of boost hubs they built up just like they were new. Carbon maintains it's trueness unlike aluminum, aluminum shows it's age when you relace them. Aluminum doesn't tension up the same way after being used for a couple of years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I do notice the toughness and ability to stay true despite being smashed through rock gardens with no shock. 

1 minute ago, Chief said:

Carbon maintains it's trueness unlike aluminum, aluminum shows it's age when you relace them. Aluminum doesn't tension up the same way after being used for a couple of years.

Sure, but have you guys used a plastic tire lever on them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that I was ever skeptical about the strength of carbon rims but a recent experience really showed me the abuse they can take.

About a month ago a guy drop off a 2016 Pivot with carbon rims for a tuneup. During my inspection, I noticed that the spokes were really loose. “Really loose” is probably an understatement. Every single spoke was reading a big fat 0 on my tension meter. I ended up having to undo all of the spokes, re-tension, re-dish, and re-true both wheels. Even after being ridden with no tension for god knows how many miles, the rims were spinning perfectly true after being rehabilitated. No way aluminum rims would be in such good shape after such abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As much as I've bitched about my ENVE wheels, i can say that after over four years of use, I've never had to retension.  @Chiefswapped out the rear hub a couple years ago and he was able to reuse the same DT bladed spokes. Never touched the front. I'm a bit under 200# kitted and not shy of bashing about, including some pretty harsh rim/tire bottoming with the new tire insert. 

Would I buy ENVE again? No. If i really, really wanted to buy carbon again, I'd probably do Santa Cruz as they have a great warranty policy and will most likely be around decades from now. Otherwise, DT aluminum all the way. IMHO, other than lack of maintenance carbon has very little to offer me other than expensive rim decals. 

27 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

As much as I've bitched about my ENVE wheels, i can say that after over four years of use, I've never had to retension.  @Chiefswapped out the rear hub a couple years ago and he was able to reuse the same DT bladed spokes. Never touched the front. I'm a bit under 200# kitted and not shy of bashing about, including some pretty harsh rim/tire bottoming with the new tire insert. 

Would I buy ENVE again? No. If i really, really wanted to buy carbon again, I'd probably do Santa Cruz as they have a great warranty policy and will most likely be around decades from now. Otherwise, DT aluminum all the way. IMHO, other than lack of maintenance carbon has very little to offer me other than expensive rim decals. 

I’m all about low maintenance and longevity. Lighter weight and stiffness is a plus too. I’ve always considered aluminum rims a consumable item and have never reused a rim on another hub. 

• 3 months later...

Ah. Found the thread where I was talking about how strong carbon wheels are.

Well, I managed to crack my front carbon rim. I’m not even mad because, 1. the rim is covered under warranty and 2. I must of been having a good ole rowdy time to crack a carbon rim.

80ff2753053a5e03510b2a098e19e7b3.jpg

19a9ff87475c36687c3b860c78b5a619.jpg

Not sure how long I’ve been riding the rim like this. Last time I did a cleaning/inspection was 2 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the fact that the plastic tire lever snapped tells me you were doing something very wrong.my guess is you didn't have the bead inside the V of the rim and you for trying to hulk stretch the last (probably pretty wide section) part of the bead onto the wheel. and everything blew up

On 4/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, WLemke said:

Not sure how long I’ve been riding the rim like this. Last time I did a cleaning/inspection was 2 months ago.

Timely thread refresh! With my replacement frame from Intense getting built up, I had just taken for granted that my "bullet-proof" DT Swiss XMC 1200 wheelset would move right on over to the new frame. The only time I "inspect" my wheels is when I change tires, and honestly, I don't really check much other than to see if I need new tape inside the rims. Been riding those wheels hard for 4+ years. Had the hubs serviced a couple of years ago; so am assuming maybe the LBS checked my rims at the time of that service. Anyway fast forward to current and @Chief, who is doing my new frame build-up for me, informed me that I've been riding on carbon rims with multiple points of damage, front and rear, including one fairly significant crack. Hoping DT Swiss will honor replacement under their Fair-Share Replacement Warranty (10-yr), which would get me new carbon rims for $249 each.  

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, throet said:

Timely thread refresh! With my replacement frame from Intense getting built up, I had just taken for granted that my "bullet-proof" DT Swiss XMC 1200 wheelset would move right on over to the new frame. The only time I "inspect" my wheels is when I change tires, and honestly, I don't really check much other than to see if I need new tape inside the rims. Been riding those wheels hard for 4+ years. Had the hubs serviced a couple of years ago; so am assuming maybe the LBS checked my rims at the time of that service. Anyway fast forward to current and @Chief, who is doing my new frame build-up for me, informed me that I've been riding on carbon rims with multiple points of damage, front and rear, including one fairly significant crack. Hoping DT Swiss will honor replacement under their Fair-Share Replacement Warranty (10-yr), which would get me new carbon rims for $249 each.  

Sounds like you need some tire inserts. I used to run cushcore front and rear. I then got a second wheelset and moved the insert from my carbon front to my new rear. This was probably a mistake. Lol.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throet said:

Heard about that, sorry man

TBH, those are an older and lighter design, and may never be up to the task of surviving the rockbike riding here in CTX.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

Sounds like you need some tire inserts. I used to run cushcore front and rear. I then got a second wheelset and moved the insert from my carbon front to my new rear. This was probably a mistake. Lol.  

Cushcore wouldn't help in this situation. Rim is cracked at spoke hole and also has other impact damage areas.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, ATXZJ said:

TBH, those are an older and lighter design, and may never be up to the task of surviving the rockbike riding here in CTX.  

So DT Swiss is offering to have me just send in the hubs to be rebuilt with new carbon rims for $345 per wheel. They are offering either the 30mm (XMC) or 26mm (XRC). Seems like too good of a deal to pass up! I don't run bigger than 2.4" tires on that bike, but I'm thinking the 30mm is still the way to go.    

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, throet said:

I don't run bigger than 2.4" tires on that bike, but I'm thinking the 30mm is still the way to go.   

Yes, 30mm is the way to go, even with 2.4" tires! I run 37mm on 2.6" tires, and 25.5mm on 2" tires.  Less burp potential and IMO generally better cornering by squaring off the tire a bit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, throet said:

So DT Swiss is offering to have me just send in the hubs to be rebuilt with new carbon rims for $345 per wheel. They are offering either the 30mm (XMC) or 26mm (XRC). Seems like too good of a deal to pass up! I don't run bigger than 2.4" tires on that bike, but I'm thinking the 30mm is still the way to go.    

I'd pull the trigger on that deal. 30mm for the win. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

I've got several small cracks / dents in both of my carbon rims, but this is the one (rear) that is most concerning. The crack runs all the way across the spoke hole to the other side. Shared the pic with DT Swiss, and they believe it is likely due to repeated stresses over a long period of time. The newer version of the XMC 1200 Spline is stronger and wider than this version, which was really more geared for XC. Still, they are offering to replace with either the XMC 1200 (All-mountain) or EXC 1200 (Enduro) rims, the latter of which would run around 220g heavier for the wheelset (1659g vs. 1435g). Thinking I'll stick with the lighter rims but add some tire inserts for extra protection along with the added ride quality benefits mentioned by others. As @Chief  mentioned, the inserts might not have helped with this crack but maybe they'll give me some peace of mind. 

image.thumb.png.7067d7180e594ffcac0f8c58b8af2a3e.png

image.thumb.png.6050f707233debf6e2c8591b6e493dc8.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got my hubs over to DT Swiss last Wed, and the new hoops arrived at my doorstep yesterday, laced to my original hubs and complete with tubeless rim tape and valves. The $690 replacement cost ($345 per wheel) wasn't too hard to swallow considering that I had beat the shit out of the original rims for 4.5 years. There were no questions asked and DT Swiss didn't even ask for the old rims back, which saved me considerably on shipping the hubs to them. Given that the $690 also included rebuilding the wheels and shipping them to me, I figure the actual rim replacements came at a cost of around $225 per rim vs. their $800 retail value. Hoping to get another 5 years or so out of these, but I did order some inserts from Rimpact that I'll install before I get crazy on them. Oh and yes - graphics are laser etched for some additional bling factor! 

image.thumb.png.698bd2e97cebd216298771adf1d083cc.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 4