IGNORED

Keeping trails trash free...

TheX

So here's the deal. This is such a common issue that there's a Buddhist parable about it from thousands (!) of years ago.  As I relate this,  I'll add in words parenthetically to make it relevant to the topic at hand. 

A monk (mountain biker) is  irritated by the presence of a bucket of dirty water (poop bags) and a mop (trash) by the door to the meditation hall (trail).  Day after day, going in to meditate, he'd be so annoyed and think, "Why doesn't somebody empty this bucket (pick up poop bags) and put the mop (trash) away? It's ruining my meditation."  Of course, he has a MAJOR epiphany and realizes that if he's annoyed by it, he can address the issue by  emptying the bucket and putting away the mop, which he does, and thereby becomes a much, much happier monk (mountain biker). 

We can all clutch pearls, whinge and carry on, endlessly fret about all the awful people who are harsh-ing our mellow, but if you don't take action by cleaning it up yourself, it will still be there bothering you. 

In case you are still wondering, this will not change, ever.  That's just how it is, unless you live in the city-state of Singapore, which has insanely draconian laws against littering, spitting, selling gum and other innocuous activities.  10 Weird Laws in Singapore 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, June Bug said:

In case you are still wondering, this will not change, ever.  That's just how it is, unless you live in the city-state of Singapore, which has insanely draconian laws against littering, selling gum and other innocuous activities.  10 Weird Laws in Singapore 

Disappointed they don't have public caning for littering.  But I still like it:

image.thumb.png.4edf4dd7abf88e69f711f5df70aab884.png

Just now, circuitbreaker said:

i was thinking about adding a quart sized ziplock to my pack specifically for picking up poop bags. ziplock the poop bag, then put it in my pack, seems pretty safe, right? 

This works well in colder weather; when it's hot those bags get RANK if they've been in the sun for a bit.   I'd put the poop bag in another poop bag and then put it in the ziplock bag.  You may also want to carry disposable gloves for doody bag duty, or maybe some tongs to pick up the bags. 

Thank you in advance for your service! It will elevate you to sainthood STAT! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 7:27 PM, June Bug said:

So here's the deal. This is such a common issue that there's a Buddhist parable about it from thousands (!) of years ago.  As I relate this,  I'll add in words parenthetically to make it relevant to the topic at hand. 

A monk (mountain biker) is  irritated by the presence of a bucket of dirty water (poop bags) and a mop (trash) by the door to the meditation hall (trail).  Day after day, going in to meditate, he'd be so annoyed and think, "Why doesn't somebody empty this bucket (pick up poop bags) and put the mop (trash) away? It's ruining my meditation."  Of course, he has a MAJOR epiphany and realizes that if he's annoyed by it, he can address the issue by  emptying the bucket and putting away the mop, which he does, and thereby becomes a much, much happier monk (mountain biker). 

We can all clutch pearls, whinge and carry on, endlessly fret about all the awful people who are harsh-ing our mellow, but if you don't take action by cleaning it up yourself, it will still be there bothering you. 

In case you are still wondering, this will not change, ever.  That's just how it is, unless you live in the city-state of Singapore, which has insanely draconian laws against littering, spitting, selling gum and other innocuous activities.  10 Weird Laws in Singapore 

I am so guilty of this, lol.   (pearl clutching) 

I'm also off the bike for a little bit due to a dance central injury.  It is a long story and not that interesting.  

I suppose I could bring a flask and a bag and invest in my future happiness while recovering. 

Edited by Jessica
specificity of guilt.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got a bunch of trash.  Most of the poop bags were by the creek crossing.  

The thing I wasn't prepared for was the amount of dog poop trail side not in bags.   Super gross, I suppose I couldn't see it while I was going fast.  

There are limits to my altruism.  

Screenshot_20210211-103510.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Yes, the amount of dog poop in the park is staggering. Years ago I contacted some city entity (water quality control?) about it but there wasn't follow up.  I consider it a public health hazard, and when it rains, it's all flushed down to the Colorado, where it becomes a drinking water source for numerous towns downstream.  

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Yes, the amount of dog poop in the park is staggering. Years ago I contacted some city entity (water quality control?) about it but there wasn't follow up.  I consider it a public health hazard, and when it rains, it's all flushed down to the Colorado, where it becomes a drinking water source for numerous towns downstream.  

These asshole dog owners that don't pick-up will be the reason they'll eventually have to ban off-leash at places like Walnut Creek.  They're the reason it has already gone away at other places.  I know some of you are responsible dog owners and like off-leash so it will suck.

• Like 1

I realized too late to offer input that the city land being developed as a soccer stadium off Braker would have been put to good use as a mega, super developed dog park.  It could have paid for itself by selling passes. 

I've noted before that population density is increasing at warp speed in north Austin.  Big multi-story apartment complexes are springing up off Kramer, Braker and Burnet, on Tech Ridge, along North Lamar and many residents are dog owners.   Walnut Creek is the closest park unless they want to go to Balcones District Park. 

• Like 1

There’s a nice gated dog park off Howard Ln in a neighborhood just before Dessau. Big gated separate areas for large vs small dogs. It’s the dog owners that prefer the trail. There’s places for dogs, it’s the dog owners that insist on fucking up everyone else’s parks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

These asshole dog owners that don't pick-up will be the reason they'll eventually have to ban off-leash at places like Walnut Creek.  They're the reason it has already gone away at other places.  I know some of you are responsible dog owners and like off-leash so it will suck.

I only walk my dogs on leash, it's just the way I do it. I pick up after my dogs, and carry the bags out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...