IGNORED

Car Glamping

Sluggo

3 hours ago, notyal said:

To heck with that...from the outside that looks like a POS.  It may have some decent room on the inside but it looks shoddy and junky.  

Here's my setup from a few months ago.  I essentially lived in it off-and-on for a month.  Its convertible to a desk type arrangement for work, convertible to a double sleeper for the wife (or a kid), and obviously can house 2 bikes inside WHILE I sleep in the back.

62389140551-05-F5-DA2-A-2332-4-A8-E-ABEA
IMG-9778.jpg
IMG-9777.jpg
IMG-9775.jpg

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.5030049bcb3c5384e274b8979d5d3ccb.jpegThanks I’m setup for solo trips. I bought a cabin style type tent for when we go out together and looking for accessories to make it more comfortable for her. We’re planning a month long summer trip and want to minimize using Airbnb. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

I'd have to say that simply 'knowing your wife' is the best way to make it comfortable for her (and minimize AirBnB).  I just use myself as an example....sleep is one of the most important things for me.  Thus I made sure to have a quality sleep setup which was comfy and warm.  I was also successfully in getting 10+ hrs of rest most every night I was in my setup.  Conversely, showing wasn't so important to me.  

I *did* have a sun shower setup and it worked well enough.  But truth-told, I'd go 3-5 days with nothing more than wash cloth cleanings.  Hell, I could prolly eliminate my shower setup next time and not miss it much.  

I thought reading and night time stimulation was going to be a need for me...therefore I had a few different night light setups with reading lights and a handful of books.  Additionally, I had 2 big battery bank setups so that I could recharge all my electronics while I was spending week at a time in the back woods.  All together, I read at night 2x's.  In my longest stint off-grid I only drained my power bank setup down to 70%.  I had way too much battery power than I thought I needed.  Ultimately, I just spent most of that (reading/etc) time sleeping.

The plan was to have my wife fly out and visit me somewhere along my trip.  Thats why I had my setup convertible to a double sleeper.  She never made it out...but in her planning for joining me in my back-country and urban stealth camping episodes, her biggest concern was getting up at night to go to the bathroom.  For me..I learned after my first 2 nights to keep a big jug near by which allowed me to barely be disturbed in my cozy setup.  But for her, it would be a notable problem to solve (or not?).  I spent half a dozen nights in a variety of hotel parking lots in and around the mountain states while stealth camping.  For a female companion this could pose an issue.

Lastly, if your wife is like my wife, then she may like cute and cozy type things.  A string of battery powered christmas lights go a long way to making my wife feel like something special is going on around our camp setup.  That and maybe a quality cup of coffee.

I feel like I said a bunch of nothing.  But really my point was that the 'extras' you may need really are dependent on your traveling partner.

Later,
CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 2

My wife has back issues and we've camped in two setups.  One was a big tent with a folding cot and a sleeping bag.  She was fine with it.  The other was a borrowed homemade teardrop.  She loved that.  She definitely will not do pads/bags.  I agree with @CBaron regarding reading and good coffee.  We spent our time hanging around the fire just taking the night in or sleeping.  

12 minutes ago, CBaron said:

her biggest concern was getting up and night to go to the bathroom.  For me..I learned after my first 2 nights to keep a big jug near by which allowed me to barely be disturbed in my cozy setup.  But for her, it would be a notable problem to solve (or not?).  I spent half a dozen nights in a variety of hotel parking lots in and around the mountain states while stealth camping.  For a female companion this could pose an issue.

Get her a Lil' Jane!  I've only ever seen the Lil' John and Janes at truck stops, but my brother has one for his daughter for emergencies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sluggo said:

concerns when traveling with a gun through different states?  

Major concerns. Specifically look at the convoluted laws for each state through which you plan to travel. Seriously don't travel through some states with a hand gun not registered in that state. In several states you're better off with an ounce of good than you are a handgun. 

• Like 3

The wife thinks we need a gun. I grew up with guns, but I don’t own one. Any suggestions on what we should look for and concerns when traveling with a gun through different states?  Thanks. 

Where does she think you guys are going to camp where having a gun handy would make her feel better? The gun isn’t worth much without training. In fact, I’d say without the training the gun is a liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

Where does she think you guys are going to camp where having a gun handy would make her feel better? The gun isn’t worth much without training. In fact, I’d say without the training the gun is a liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. If you are not willing to kill another human being, for the most part a gun is more of a problem than a solution.