IGNORED

Car Glamping

Sluggo

16 hours ago, Sluggo said:

The wife thinks we need a gun. I grew up with guns, but I don’t own one. Any suggestions on what we should look for and concerns when traveling with a gun through different states?  Thanks. 

X2 on being committed to either killing or being killed with your gun. Learned the best fight is the one you can avoid and anyone who has fired a weapon with the intent to kill, will tell you the same thing.

I'd recommend looking at these options

https://www.mace.com/collections/long-distance-pepper-sprays-gels-and-guns

Edited by ATXZJ

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, Barry said:

Major concerns. Specifically look at the convoluted laws for each state through which you plan to travel. Seriously don't travel through some states with a hand gun not registered in that state. In several states you're better off with an ounce of good than you are a handgun. 

That’s actually not great advice. Most states have reciprocity agreements when it comes to registered firearms and a License to Carry permit. You have to go a fair way from Texas before you hit a state which doesn’t have such an agreement. I travel with a firearm, am highly trained in its usage, and generally feel comfortable having it with me - especially when camping in remote locations! 

So caveat - don’t just buy a gun and travel with it. Either become trained with it, or stick to your can of bear spray.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Barry said:

@TAF many states I'm sure, but not all.. I certainly suggest you steer clear of NY in particular. I mean, not only for this reason, but definitely for this reason. 

Yup, you need to be very aware which states are reciprocal. CA and NY are way out of my driving range, so I'm not really concerned. I do know some RVers who have elaborately concealed handgun lockers just in case they are traveling through the 'red' states on the map. I also know some people who 'collect' concealed carry permits, such as NY and CA - although technically, you really should remain a resident for them to be valid. For my purposes, I'm in good in the state of Texas, all the states which touch Texas, as well as Colorado, Kansas and Arizona - all of which I have driven to.

• Like 1

I seriously considered building a sort of bed/ storage system for my Fit. packing the tent just makes a lot more sense. the window of weather where camping is tolerable is rather narrow though. we drove up to Broken Bow, OK late last summer and it was GROSS. so hot and humid. almost no sleep. We went to Caddo Lake later in the fall and it was splendid. rode bikes some, slept well, paddled all over the place until our arms fell off, hiked around with the weener dog in tow. good times. still no need for a glamping vehicle, but we've not gone camping for more than 3–4 days at a time.

This is a bit pricey for me, but it keeps you from having to empty everything from inside your car. I might be doing a few overnights until we get this whole covid thing stamped out and a tent designed for the back of the car is kinda sweet:

https://parts.nissanboerne.com/p/Nissan__Rogue/Hatch-Tent-10-x-10/79578600/999T7-XY100.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9028280&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtD_Zplp9JFBei0pmqeZUYLdx2cwAo7tfYKZrDYKovAyuatj4MYqQGIaAqTEEALw_wcB

On 2/22/2021 at 9:44 PM, TheX said:

You can't even buy or shoot nitro lacquer there anymore.

yet newsome authorized 48 fracking permits while his state burns🙄

Family and I have spent many years residing in CA, and they are pretty much getting what they deserve.

Rant Mode Switch 2.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

This is a bit pricey for me, but it keeps you from having to empty everything from inside your car. I might be doing a few overnights until we get this whole covid thing stamped out and a tent designed for the back of the car is kinda sweet:

https://parts.nissanboerne.com/p/Nissan__Rogue/Hatch-Tent-10-x-10/79578600/999T7-XY100.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9028280&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj9iBBhCJARIsAE9qRtD_Zplp9JFBei0pmqeZUYLdx2cwAo7tfYKZrDYKovAyuatj4MYqQGIaAqTEEALw_wcB

I saw someone running their car AC to cool one of those tents, although I think they said you shouldn't run it all night long.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:07 PM, Sluggo said:

Gonna go with wasp spray and a machete. 

I'd recommend against wasp spray.  I was researching alternative deterrents this summer before my big 'walk-a-bout' trip.  I saw a video of a guy who used this on himself and it was NOT effective enough.  I'd 2nd the bear spray. (He may have used that on himself too, can't recall for sure) But the bear spray was POTENT!

-CJB

• Like 1

We started doing stealth car camping in NY.  We would go to Ellicottville NY, ride the trails- park in an abandoned parking lot half a mile from the brewery  for post ride dinner -back to the car to sleep on an air mattress in the back of our Jeep with the bikes locked to the rack.  The second day of our trips, we would hit up Jakes Rocks Pa.  

In Texas we started doing a little car camping in the interior of BBRSP.  I do a bit of solo car camping- Barry really was hung up on running water for a while.  

This winter we upgraded to a tent and queen sized air mattress from the full size that we were limited to in the Jeep.  Most camp sites have showers so this is a pretty good plan until we upgrade to a 5th wheel.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Late to this party it seems. 

In 2017 I had enough of tent camping for all of my life and was dating a gal (now my wife) who I wanted to make comfortable too. 

I found a killer deal on Craigslist for a Little guy 5 wide. It’s been a great purchase and I recommend a teardrop for people not wanting to deal with a huge camper but wanting a touch above a tent. 

As far as the gun goes, if you really want one you should train and she should too. As others have said, study reciprocity. You should be fine in most of the southeast and the mountain west, but make sure prior to departure. It is as good a time to be a gun owner as it is a bike owner. Technology has really advanced the last 10 years. Excellent options at all price ranges. 

6FFAAB19-8142-44F2-A2DE-335109EBFF8F.jpeg

85524525-34C8-4C93-8CD6-0B45D9490AFA.jpeg

952AC538-94AE-47A3-A449-CEE9D6CE7594.jpeg

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 4