IGNORED

What does "good to go" mean to you?

The Tip

I am reluctant to give a trail report in a simple "good to go" a lot of times. I always feel I have to elaborate to add caveats. 

When I shorthand say "Good to go" what I really mean is that it is good enough to get a ride in without destroying the trails while still having an enjoyable riding experience. But you still have to go around some puddles, (but don't leave the existing trail tread because that widens the trail), and there are going to be a few soft spots, and I sure didn't lean into a lot of turns. And riding the rocks wasn't a lot of fun.

Do most people, present company excepted of course, know what good to go means, or should I always elaborate?

If someone's trail report is simply "Good-to Go" and nothing else, I would expect to encounter dry trail throughout. People who know the area and "local rules" would expect hero dirt after a damp spell.

If it's still damp with puddles and you should use caution, then you should say so... IMHO.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, chuckt said:

If someone's trail report is simply "Good-to Go" and nothing else, I would expect to encounter dry trail throughout. People who know the area and "local rules" would expect hero dirt after a damp spell.

If it's still damp with puddles and you should use caution, then you should say so... IMHO.

I agree with this.

49 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

Don't "go around puddles", ever. Go through them. Going around puddles IS destroying trails. 

Not if the puddle is only taking up half of the tread and the other half is dry. That would make no sense to aim for the puddle just so you can leave a rut and carry some soil away.

I addressed this issue in my post, "(but don't leave the existing trail tread because that widens the trail). "

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4fun said:

GTG means to me the trails are ethically rideable! where your not questioning should I be out here. Other than that I draw no other conclusions from the phrase.

Yes, that's a good way to look at it. I might have even said on a post recently that the ride was guilt free. 

Personally I would never label something as GTG without warranted qualifiers. For example, many of the trails at Brushy were GTG today if you use the "ethically rideable" criteria. Practically though, nobody really belonged out there this afternoon (based on conditions between 2-3). I consider myself an advanced rider, but needed 3-4 dabs just to get through 1/4 Notch while exercising extreme caution on the slick rocks. Most of our group bailed at Swag Rock given the sketchiness, but a few of us braved it through the first segment of DD before calling it quits. Definitely not GTG IMO.  

• Like 1

Personally I would never label something as GTG without warranted qualifiers. For example, many of the trails at Brushy were GTG today if you use the "ethically rideable" criteria. Practically though, nobody really belonged out there this afternoon (based on conditions between 2-3). I consider myself an advanced rider, but needed 3-4 dabs just to get through 1/4 Notch while exercising extreme caution on the slick rocks. Most of our group bailed at Swag Rock given the sketchiness, but a few of us braved it through the first segment of DD before calling it quits. Definitely not GTG IMO.  
To me what Throat describes is the trail itself was fine. However the limestone itself was slick.
Right? "Ethically Sketchy"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm going to go against the consensus a bit here and say that I don't get too upset about puddles in the "usual places." A persistent puddle means that particular spot needs work. Raise the tread and add drainage. And yes, ride through and not around until it's fixed. Any damage done riding through the puddle will be corrected when the puddle spot is sorted. Avoiding an entire trail because a "usual" spot is wet is pointless. 

My gauge is mud sticking to the tread or generall very slick trails leaving ruts. Are the unusual spots wet? Then you're not gtg.

This also doesn't apply to low laying spots-- like Mark's Art or Mulligan--where an actual stream run through in high water situations. 

• Like 3

gtg means the dirt might be tacky but the rock s are gonna be slick as snot and you'll prolly bust your ass going down Elephant Butt so get on the curly bar bike and get a mix ride in. The best part about the Cove is low traffic around town!