IGNORED

Hand Signals Knowledge

AntonioGG

Hand Signals Knowledge  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of people (riders, pedestrians, drivers) do you think know what a raised left hand means when riding or driving?

• 80+
    • 50-80
    • 25-49
    • 5-25
    • I don't know what a raised left hand means.

Super minimal %.  I know what it means but it takes me a moment to actually recognize it.  In fact, just this weekend I noticed a few Harley riders using it for a right turn into a park.  Like I said, took me a moment to catch it.  All that said, as a bicycle rider, I simply use the unofficial "right hand out for right turn" hand sign.  As a bicycle rider (in traffic) its much more intuitive for all.

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Super minimal %.  I know what it means but it takes me a moment to actually recognize it.  In fact, just this weekend I noticed a few Harley riders using it for a right turn into a park.  Like I said, took me a moment to catch it.  All that said, as a bicycle rider, I simply use the unofficial "right hand out for right turn" hand sign.  As a bicycle rider (in traffic) its much more intuitive for all.

Later,
CJB

I like to keep my hand on the rear brake.  Motorcycles I think have rear brake on the pedal?

what does a raised left hand mean?

seriously, almost no one knows what that means and expecting motorists to recognize it and not clobber you with their car is foolish. it's a useful signal in a bygone era for riding a motor bike or a old timey car that does not have a signal. if you want to indicate a turn while riding a bicycle, point in the direction of your intended turn with the hand on that side of your bike. point with your left hand to indicate a left turn and use your right hand for a right turn. that makes sense because it's intuitive to drivers and cyclists.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

what does a raised left hand mean?

seriously, almost no one knows what that means and expecting motorists to recognize it and not clobber you with their car is foolish. it's a useful signal in a bygone era for riding a motor bike or a old timey car that does not have a signal. if you want to indicate a turn while riding a bicycle, point in the direction of your intended turn with the hand on that side of your bike. point with your left hand to indicate a left turn and use your right hand for a right turn. that makes sense because it's intuitive to drivers and cyclists.

I took driver's ed in the late 80's.  This was taught and is still required for drivers and riders to know.  Of course it's par for the course with most people not knowing, remembering, or understanding (and hence not following) the reasoning for most rules.  I mean, what percentage of anyone (riders or drivers) actually signals a turn with any method? 

Germany has it right and we have it wrong as far as how easy it is to attain and retain the privilege of driving.

Why is it an issue?  As I mentioned, sometimes I want to brake and turn if going downhill and I prefer to do this one-handed on the rear brake instead of the front brake.  But I've also had a 1950 Chevy pick-up which had no blinkers.  Or you could be driving a farm tractor or other implement with no blinkers. 

For me most of my issues are not of safety since I turn from the shoulder or right lane as needed.  Mostly, my problem is with annoyed drivers (their own fault for their ignorance) that are waiting on me to go by while I'm signaling, then make a face at me or raise their hand when I end up turning.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/forms/dl-7.pdf

Page 41

image.thumb.png.2bf11bd7527eb8290a5ea3ba34025e9b.png

38 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

The last thing I want with a driver is ambiguity about where I’m going to be. Do hand signals help? Sure. Do I trust the driver to know what they mean or even care? No f’in way.

I spend a lot of time on a road bike and I get what you are saying.  But over the years, I've developed a feedback loop with drivers that makes me more comfortable when out there.  I could care less if its 'official' or "correct"....I care more about it being 'safe' and 'works'.  One of my staples is that I raise my hand in a waving manner as I'm approaching a cross street where a car is coming (usually from my right).  I.e...I'm heading south on Jollyville and a car is coming from Braker (to my right), and wants to turn into my lane and go south with me.  As they roll up to the intersection, I raise my hand and sorta wave in order to get their attention.  If I get a nod or a wave back, then I know they see me and I comfortably speed on by.  If they don't acknowledge me then I prepare for an avoidance or brake check.  I've prolly got a bag full of these habits and practices.  

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

I'm with Cody.  For me it's not about what's correct but what's practical and understood.  After reading @mack_turtle's reply, I got a ride in, and I practiced left hand braking and right hand pointing.  Easy and natural on the flats, but as soon as I hit a technical right-hander, I revert to rear brake (I'm right hand dominant so that may be part of it?).  I know in a wet street I'll revert to right hand braking too.

So what about the other signals @mack_turtle?  Do you know the stopping signal?  Is it more intuitive?  Would it matter if done with a right hand? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

So what about the other signals @mack_turtle?  Do you know the stopping signal?  Is it more intuitive?  Would it matter if done with a right hand? 

no one knows these signals. however, I looked it up and I sometimes naturally drop my hand, palm facing back, to indicate to riders behind me that I am stopping. somehow, that one happens to be intuitive.

29 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

no one knows these signals. however, I looked it up and I sometimes naturally drop my hand, palm facing back, to indicate to riders behind me that I am stopping. somehow, that one happens to be intuitive.

I've actually learned other signals for riding since I used to do a lot group rides (e.g. railroad crossing, gravel, and the down-pointed finger for obstacles

there's a fun universal signal for canine feces on the trail. you just yell "poop!" at the top your lungs and every knows to swerve around the landmine.

When I hear someone in front of me yell “...Oh $hit!” it generally means there’s an unexpected drop that he/she just hit. The feces in this case might be rider based and not dog based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 12:08 PM, mack_turtle said:

if you want to indicate a turn while riding a bicycle, point in the direction of your intended turn with the hand on that side of your bike. point with your left hand to indicate a left turn and use your right hand for a right turn. that makes sense because it's intuitive to drivers and cyclists.

This! I stick my arm out straight and POINT with my index finger, like "I AM TURNING IN THIS DIRECTION!"  and hold that for awhile. There's no question in anyone's mind what I'm getting ready to do. 

The bent left arm  used to signal a right turn is from the days when cars had no turn indicators, or seat belts, or intermittent windshield wipers, or safety head rests, or clickers that unlocked your car door, or heated seats, or nav units, or safety glass in windshields, or AC, or electric windows and so forth. The engine compartment held an engine, a battery, a distributor cap and a few other things. It was very spacious in there.