IGNORED

Made in the USA?

MikeyG

I was curious so googled where Japanese company Shimano's products are made:

Wiki

the company has 32 consolidated subsidiaries and 11 unconsolidated subsidiaries. Shimano's primary manufacturing plants are in Kunshan, China; Malaysia; and Singapore. 

2011 article on SRAM components, but doubt this has changed much: Taiwan Factories Give SRAM an Edge

Edited by June Bug

9 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

If you love America, you'll ride Singlespeed. 

You'll need some asian parts (spokes, chains, etc), but you can build a pretty legit SS with US and UK (Hope) bits.

So if I love America I'll buy UK parts? Awesome, I'm in.

2 minutes ago, TheX said:

I quit worrying about made in the US years ago. 

Agreed. However for warranty and communication reasons, I prefer US owned or at lest heavily represented companies. It didn't stop me from buying ChiCarbon rims though. And damn those things are nice.

3 hours ago, CBaron said:

Did you get EIE Carbon?

I did. They're just over 2000 miles in on the gravel bike and  holding up remarkably well. Not even a loose spoke after putting them through some rough terrain and not being particularly gentle with them. They survived some fairly harsh root and rock strikes too.

I firmly support making the effort/changes required to bring more things back to the US. People would have to be OK with prices going up. Maybe buy things that last longer than a couple years. The higher cost initially can be offset by not replacing as often. Unfortunately, bringing manufacturing of silicon (CPU,s etc.) on shore would be EXPENSIVE. 

I just don't see that happening very soon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chief said:

It would be much easier and cheaper to bring things back into the US if the CEO's of these corporations didn't need to pay themselves 7 figure salaries.

Nah, that's communism! If the top 1% of wage earners don't make enough money to buy a boat big enough to fit the previous year's boat inside it, the terrorists win.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 4

Any time I hear "we have to compete with china, and bring manufacturing jobs back here", I just get ill. You can't compete with slave labor and zero regard for environmental contamination unless you raise prices significantly. Americans don't have the disposable income or desire for that.

That's also never gonna happen with an economy based on consumer spending that has us continually filling landfills with last year's purchases.

Doom mode off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 5

This is truly a question for learning purposes and not a jab at either side of the energy extremes and brought to mind by the previous landfill comment. Are the massive amounts of batteries that are currently required for electric cars recyclable or are we going to have the same problem we’re having with old smart phones 5-10 years down the line?

• Like 2