IGNORED

Hole on lower SN

11 hours ago, Cafeend said:

This hole isn't a joke. It ate my 29" this evening. Could have been worse .. It was easy to see going toward Katy and avoid but on the way back from Katy , I was aware it was coming up but it still got me.

So, this trail is on the way to Houston? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

So, this trail is on the way to Houston? 

Technically yes if you ride W-E. 🙂

I rode SN yesterday and didn't see the hole but I started at Red Horn/Peddlers and didn't ride to Katy Ln.  I wonder if this hole is right around the cliff area?  I ask because I was riding the trail across the creek from the cliff, and you can see the limestone cliff is concave in that area.  I think the trail definitely needs to move away b/c at some point that's going to collapse.

• Like 2

I think Ridge Riders may have some traffic cones in storage; the base of one could fit in the hole, with enough cone sticking up to be a good warning.   Also need to poke around in there to see how big the cavity is underneath.  If we get enough rain with this weather event, it could collapse even more. 

On Google maps Anderson Bluff Drive looks like the closest trail access.  Can anyone confirm?  

The Dampening (not raining, not dry) is beginning in North Austin; hopefully it will discourage people from riding. The real rain looks to be set to begin noonish tomorrow, but who knows. 

Edited by June Bug

20 minutes ago, June Bug said:

I'll contact Cullen Mc to see if Suburban Ninja has a trail steward.  I think Ridge Riders may have some traffic cones in storage; the base of one could fit in the hole, with enough cone sticking up to be a good warning.   Also need to poke around in there to see how big the cavity is underneath.  If we get enough rain with this weather event, it could collapse even more. 

On Google maps Anderson Bluff Drive looks like the closest trail access.  

Id contact AJ actually since its kind of his domain there

Oh and Anderson Bluff is behind gates so not an option 

Edited by Cafeend

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, June Bug said:

The Peddlers folks are aware of the hole/cave in.  As they are clearing trees from the trail and addressing other maintenance issues, they will address the hole issue.  Not sure if they are posting trail work times; you'd have to contact them. 

They should build a caldera jump! Probably would take about as much work as filling it in, and then I would have a good excuse to keep using that word on a semi-regular basis😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, TheX said:

Has anyone looked to see how deep/wide it actually is? I have to imaging that eventually the opening is going to give way.

I rode over/past it yesterday. It's not huge, and I'm not a hydrogeologist, but I'd say it's open from there to the crick, and that there trail needs to be re-routed.

• Like 1