IGNORED

Icy Trees

GFisher

6 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Just saw and heard a big branch go down on my neighbor's house. I think things are going to be pretty bad. Move cars, be prepared for power outages, etc. The trails will of course need some work once this crap passes too. ☹️

Any damage? My kid went to a neighbor because the oak was bending down on top of his truck. Kid is nicer than me because I dont like the guy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Any damage? My kid went to a neighbor because the oak was bending down on top of his truck. Kid is nicer than me because I dont like the guy 

I can't tell for sure, probably not too bad. I just had my big oak in the front trimmed for the first time yesterday and it is still straining hard.

I won't be surprised if I lose a few Live Oak branches as I have around a dozen of those with drooping branches on my property. My biggest concern though is the Gem Magnolia that I planted a few years ago in my front flower bed. It is contorted in every which way right now and I'm not sure there is anything I can really do short of busting out a flame thrower. This shit really sucks! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, throet said:

Did you mean "fortunately", or were you really hoping for a fence replacement at your neighbor's expense?

HOA expense as rhe tree is in a common area.  Only thing holding that fence together is the paint 😅

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GFisher said:

Just saw and heard a big branch go down on my neighbor's house. I think things are going to be pretty bad. Move cars, be prepared for power outages, etc. The trails will of course need some work once this crap passes too. ☹️

Trail gnomes need to use the down time to sharpen saws and loppers.  There's gonna be a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Can't be any mud if it's frozen. Y'all going to hate me if I ride? 

Just make sure you video it.

One of my live oaks has all its mass to one side.  It's pretty old and strong, so branches are holding on...but the lawn was bulging on the opposite side.  So I went out and trimmed it a bunch and cut one big branch off hoping it stays upright.  One of my oaks in the back (Red?  Spanish?  The ones that turn red with the pointy leaves) has a branch that may snap.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Tip said:

Better start looking. I've seen stories on multiple TV news about firewood sellers having no product to sell.

Yeah, I have a friend who owns a pretty decent sized ranch in Burnett that I've been clearing trees on this fall and spring for firewood.  So much deadfall, can't even tell I've removed any wood.  Now just to make that drive, and I'll have a truckload.  And with how the trees look all round my neighborhood, I doubt Austin energy will get us power back anytime soon.  So it'll be generator and fire to keep us functioning.

What is super annoying is that while sleeping in the living room last night, the strip mall next to us has power and their outdoor lights are working fine.  And everyone south of us has power, just when you head north there is no power.  So we'll be able to get coffee in the morning!

Our power was out from 5:15 am until 7:30 am. Makes us appreciate having natural gas. I had just put in a gas log in our fireplace two days ago. It doesn't put off a lot of heat but it would be enough to keep us warm if we did have to go through a long power outage. Also we were able to make some French press coffee.

The power lines are underground in our neighborhood. I had just told my wife that we're pretty safe about our power not going out. So it's my fault it did.

• Like 1

prepping for Icepocalypse 2021:

charged batteries for everything

retrieved camping gear from the garage. sleeping bags, pads, and liners are in the living room in case we need to sleep out there by the fireplace

took down string lights from backyard. they were connected by a strong wire wrapped around several trees and finally to the roof over my back porch. if a branch falls on one of those wires and the wire doesn't break somewhere else, the wire could pull porch roof off!

today if it's warm and dry enough, I'm going to get on top of the house and cut back some branches that are hanging frightening low right now to relieve some of the weight.

also: trails are NOT frozen. that might happen in a few days as the temp drops well below freezing, but right now it's really just cold mud.

• Like 3