IGNORED

Icy Trees

GFisher

If it actually gets above 32 today, as they are predicting (36-40), most of the weight will come off these trees pretty quick. After that it will be cold, but snow/sleet will not stick as bad as wet rain freezing onto branches like yesterday. 

Lots of firewood to be had, it just might be green.

I'm in need of a set of Stans valves to finish my son's bike build. Hopefully some shop is open today.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, notyal said:

We planted this little peach tree last year. She already started showing some flowers the last couple days. We’re trying some Christmas lights under a frost blanket to keep her warm.

4af94cab4d9f5b42049998040edbb53a.jpg

When they dont make incandescent lamps (bulbs) easy to get anymore its hard to generate heat anymore.  Going from 90 watt flood to a 18 watt LED is great for Energy consumption but those 90 watt lamps used to really save us in these situations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Taco Man said:

When they dont make incandescent lamps (bulbs) easy to get anymore its hard to generate heat anymore.  Going from 90 watt flood to a 18 watt LED is great for Energy consumption but those 90 watt lamps used to really save us in these situations.

Yep, I doubt the CFLs in our well house are doing much to keep temps up in there. I'll probably go put a tiny space heater on Low in there tomorrow and leave it for the week. 

I had to clear out a bunch of bamboo in the backyard, perfectly good bamboo but it was too close to the cable lines. I can lose power but without internet I'd be screwed. 

Luckily I bought a second cord of firewood this year, tearing through it pretty quick, but that extra stack that I moved into the garage was a smart move.

If you have a computer attached to a UPS, that is a HUGE battery for charging phones and tablets. If you lose power unplug all of the power-hungry or non-essential components and just reserve it for critical things. I have 2 in the house and if we lose power I can keep a cable modem and a portable wifi running for days along with keeping all of the phones and tablets charged.

11 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Can't be any mud if it's frozen. Y'all going to hate me if I ride? 

Frozen trails are dry trails. 

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

also: trails are NOT frozen. that might happen in a few days as the temp drops well below freezing, but right now it's really just cold mud.

Today and Saturday are a mess I'm sure. That's why I didn't ride when we got 4 inches a few weeks ago. It wasn't nearly cold enough. But Sunday morning, all day Monday, and Tuesday morning look good for frozen dirt. I plan to have the fat bike out at Walnut for some frozen fun. I probably will not need the fat bike for traction, but it just seems appropriate. I plan to see a LOT of down trees and branches. I think I'll pack a folding saw. 

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

Reminds me of a joke:

AustinBike was up there on the hill with another mountain biker. They see some fishermen out on the lake. He says, 'Look at those idiot fishermen out there in this terrible weather."

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. 

If I were not dealing with family issues I would go ride today. Might end up taking a long walk. Gotta stay active.

4 hours ago, Barry said:

all day Monday, and Tuesday morning look good for frozen dirt. I plan to have the fat bike out at Walnut for some frozen fun.

Weather Dot Com said: 

image.png.33dc3308a24d8e91c2db45e0ff12a89f.png

😀 WooHoo! Cold and a couple/few inches! I'm looking forward to some of this:

image.thumb.png.f0bd7590b3acc0b68761ddfc1f1b2536.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

My neighborhood thawed a fair bit and our trees look great. But then I went up the hill to NW Hills (Far West area) and those trees are all still frozen over, lots of big branches leaning a loooooong way. Should get above freezing again tomorrow, but if that doesn't happen this will be sticking around for a week!

Yes I went to check on mine around 3:30.  The ice on the branches was completely dry.  No relief for the poor trees today.

I have one tree that is leaning over and only one 4x4 of decent length, but I didn’t even bother since I think the Live Oak would totally break the 4x4.  I trimmed it and I may put the propane heater on under it if we don’t get any defrosting in the next couple of hours.  more freezing rain is coming. 😞

56C0A247-779E-4944-949E-D521A03EACDC.jpeg

Edited by AntonioGG