IGNORED

Icy Trees

GFisher

I did 2.5 miles. On foot.

Some idiot in a convertible got halfway up the Shoal Creek hill, stalled out and then got stuck. Started spinning his wheels, I asked if he knew what he was doing. He appeared to not need my help (even though he did) so I kept walking.

This is why I will not drive. I can drive in this shit, but Texans cannot. And I would be on the road with them.

• Like 3

I walked in Dick Nichols some. One of the trails I could barely even recognize because of all the trees and branches everywhere. Couldn't even walk past it at one point. It's going to take a lot of work to get the trails back in shape.

But almost as bad as the tree damage is how muddy the trails are going to be. Muddy for a long time too. The slowly seeping melt is going to be perfect for making even hard packed trails, trails that usually shed the rain and dry out, stay muddy. I'm guessing eight more days, next Saturday, if we're lucky.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. Leaves everywhere. The other freeze effect we have is that every type of palm tree, whether a tall tree or those tiny bushes, had every one of their palm leaves die. Anyone know whether they're all done for? Will they sprout again this spring? 

• Like 1

I just heard a story on NPR from the Texas tribune.  They recommend trimming back and waiting to see if you get growth back.  Even my live oaks are dropping their leaves.  My yucca plants did well.  One of my rosemary plants did well while the other looks bad.

Edited by AntonioGG

32 minutes ago, Barry said:

Oof. Not looking good for palm types. 

I had to drive to Beaumont and back last Wednesday (that drive sucks enough in one direction, roundtrip is exponential and not geometric suck) and drove by a palm nursery.  Their big palms up front were completely brown, but I could see some in the back that looked green still.  http://www.palmsofparadise.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

They recommend trimming back and waiting to see if you get growth back.

I have a few century/ aloe type plants where I had to remove lots of frosbit foliage but I read that as long as the "crown"/ center of the plant is ok, it will recover. I have other plants that look like death. I trimmed off to encourage new growth if the plant isn't 100% dead. Now, it's wait and see. 

I had a close friend who is also a city arborist come look at my live oaks after the storm, here's a few takeaways. 

Oaks are tough, short of oak wilt, they are very hardy. Live oaks go through "Leaf exchange" around Feb/March, I've noticed it every year because I have to "vacuum" the leaves every spring to keep the grass uncovered. This year does seem, earlier, quicker and heavier. IMO, I bet the ice accelerated this. That being said, I've had years where it happened so abruptly that I swore one of my trees died. Then a week later it looked like nothing happened. 

Leaf Exchange:https://preservationtree.com/blog/is-this-oak-wilt-disease-or-normal-leaf-drop

• Like 1